Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Can't take over Drassen in JA2 1.13 (just 1 IMP)

damicore

Augur
I am playing 1.13 mostly because of windowed mode (it also has some nice additions like to hit ratio, and moar guns) with only 1 IMP (6 IMPS would make the economy too easy).

My mercs (4 decently selected gentlemen and Ira) are getting raped and on top of that i'm almost out of medpacks/kits. I can't lose more than 1 merc, as I've only got like 10k$ and I have to buy medpacks as soon as I get the airport. I also have to take the middle section and the mine after this (without mentioning I'll probably have to defend from some counter attacks). I can't afford to keep losing so many mercs until I get the income from the mine, I just won't be able to afford them and it's all starting to seem impossible.
Do I just suck at this game?
I don't want to savescum and I'm starting to rage, lend me a hand here. Any tweaks to the settings? Is vanilla easier? If so how do I get it on windowed mode?

spectre

Arcane
If you're up for some ini editing, I would recommend turning off drassen counterattack - it's not balanced for new players, reinforcements from adjacent sectors and remove the aiming restrictions for non-rifles, maybe giving yourself a bit more $ if you're really desperate, although Easy gives you enough of cash to play with (and you say you got 10K to spare. 10K is a lot).
Tweaking the ini until it's more similar to vanilla is possible, but it's too much work, especially since you never played it.

Could you be more specific about the "decently selected gentlemen"? If you're running out of medikits fast, make sure to use a good doctor for all that work (high dex, high medical). Also, large medikits should be spared for doctoring, try to use first aid kits for bandaging.
Also, you know how to aim your guns with right click, right? (Don't laugh, it's a common beginners mistake - did that too when I was playing the demo for the first time). Anyways, one way to make your early game easier is to get good guns fast - some 5.56 stuff and ammo. The increased range will make fight a bit easier. You can hire guys with good guns for one day then just let them go. The guns stay with you. If that doesn't work, reconsider your tactics. Run around the enemy to flank them. Make ambushes in buildings, hide behind trees and use all sorts of stuff for cover. Don't get pinned in one place, even firing outside of effective range, the AI will get that lucky 1% shot in eventually.
Also, you can try making a full night ops team with silenced guns and throwing knives - the early game sucks because you often have range 20 guns at best. At night, you can get as close as you need.

Remember that you don't have to fight every patrol on the way, you can just run away from combat until you get to drassen (although, why would you? Fight them until you get comfortable).

Rpgsaurus Rex

Your options:

1) Take top and bottom sector, ignore middle.

2) Camp in a corner and slowly kill everyone. (Sometimes AI doesn't just run at your hiding place and starts to "swarm", in which case you'll have to bait it out with grenades and shizzle)

3) Show off your tactical genius and win the fight fair and square.

I usually pick 1) because I'm not a tactical genius and can't be arsed to sit in a corner for many hours

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
Alternatively, you can forget about Drassen for the moment and instead capture Chitzena in the northwest of the map, it's an easier fight, and gives you some income you can use to build up your forces for an attack on Drassen later.

Unwanted

Unwanted
Run away - hit chitzena. This will force you to play with no online gun purchases - this is a good thing. Grab Dimitri and Ira as free mercs and play smart. If you are desperate, head to that small junkyard to buy some first aid kits and stuff. And pick up another free merc.

Letting go of drassen may seem like a big deal, but this is good since it teaches you that there are some fights that you simply cannot win.

damicore

Augur
Default difficulty (I think it's called experienced).

I've got an MD, Bull (The only dude with an MGS instead of a pistol), Barry, Igor and Ira and I know how to aim with right click (the smaller the circle the better but more AP consumption).

This will force you to play with no online gun purchases - this is a good thing

Is there any other way to get medpacks other than through looting (and bobby ray's)?

I was looking for a good LP where they went straight up to drassen with only 1 IMP and see if I was doing something terribly wrong but there was none I guess. I just feel I'm doing something terribly wrong.

I don't quite get how cover works in this game, I am shot and seen through trees for example.

Morkar Left

Getting shot through trees is realistic. Never stand, when possible prone, NEVER EVER end the turn standing, have stealth mode activated at least at the end of your turn. Roofs are good to defend, always keep one merc in reserve with enough action points to shoot down everyboda that comes up.You know how to see line of sight of your mercs (END key) and how "save" a spot is against enemy fire (F key)?

I recommend to start over and deactivate Drassen counterattack. It will still be hard enough to take. Additionally give yourself arounf 50K to start with and spend the money to buy the better equipment when you hire your mercs. This should give you some decent ARs for the beginning. Don't worry, it will still be challenging enough.

Unwanted

Unwanted
You can try getting medkits from general store in one of the town. If you look at your map, there is also a 1-grid town, it's a junkyard filled with cheap stuff that is mostly used - try to snag a few kit from there.

Also, if desperate - steal some medkit from the hospital in the central town - but the doctors wont be pleased -

Oh man, I love the start of the game, and here are my random ramblings about it.

First, as other have said you probably should turn off the Drassen counterattack - it's just too brutal for a new player. Just keep in mind you have to start a new game for this to take effect.

The game options when starting a new game are critical and you should set them to your preference. For example, the item progression speed determines the enemy equipment (and through that what you can loot from them). Setting this to slow or very slow (my preference) will make all early enemies (at least until after you take Drassen) carry only pistols and maybe a rare SMG. This makes the early game significantly easier as at least some of your men will have SMG-s, giving you the range advantage needed to rape them before they can shoot back. The (very) slow item progression (and Bobby Ray shop selection set to normal or great) is a great setting if you wish to play with enemy drop all on and don't wish to get swamped with good equipment from the start. With drop on you will never want for medkits again and you can sell all that useless junk the enemy drops to the locals for some minor cash through the sector inventory.

When you are designing your IMP, I suggest you take markmanship 70 - that way you will start the game with a 9mm SMG, ammo for which is dirt common. Taking more than that gives you a 10mm SMG - good luck finding more ammo for that one early on. Concentrate on your abilities and leave skills as low as you can - it's easier to raise them during the game. Put as many points as you can in wisdom, agility, dexterity, strength and health. Especially wisdom, as it dictates how fast your character gains experience (the same is true for all other mercs, which is why I recommend you hire Barry if you haven't already - high abilities, very high wisdom, dirt cheap, lockpicking, explosives). Forget extra levels, they will come soon enough with high wisdom. Also, take night ops trait - extra vision during night, extra hearing range and less sleep required? Awesome.

Early on JHP or Glaser ammo are absolute killers - many enemies don't carry any armor and even a single pistol round can kill them easily. Automatic fire from a 9mm SMG loaded with JHP or Glaser ammo can easily take out several enemies at once. That reminds me, you do now how to make aimed auto fire, right? If not, first switch to single round, aim as much as you can, then switch to burst or auto, select the number of bullets and let it rip. You can't put as much lead in the air that way, but it will be much more accurate. Also, try firing at their legs and let recoil work for you. Even enemies that you miss might get suppressed.

Unless you are playing with slow item progression, your early assaults shout be made during nighttime (your IMP has night ops, right?). That way it won't matter if the enemy has range advantage over you, as they must still get in the range of your guns to see you (if you are playing with slow item progression then you have the range advantage and night attacks work against you). Just take it slow, watch you flanks (pay attention to noises) and try to draw them towards you by firing a round - if your mercs have enough AP left you will get an interrupt and take them out as they come to you. Keep an eye on vision cones and safe squares (delete and end keys). Also, roof tops are your friends.

If you still find Drassen too difficult, as other have said there is no reason to head there immediately. My suggestion is San Mona - it's close, no enemies are there (though you might run into some on the way there), you can make some serious cash and there's a weapon shop where you might get some better weapons (what will be available to buy depends on the Bobby Ray setting).

Gregz

Arcane
Alternatively, you can forget about Drassen for the moment and instead capture Chitzena in the northwest of the map, it's an easier fight, and gives you some income you can use to build up your forces for an attack on Drassen later.

This is good advice, or San Mona.

The key to capturing and holding Drassen is by using the town militia. Your mercs only need to capture one square, then hold that square and train until you have max militia. Park your mercs on the border of the map. If your square gets attacked you can move your mercs off the map square and defend/defeat the invaders with the militia. Any weapons dropped will be on the map to sell/upgrade with. Return to the square and recover your militia to full. When you feel you're strong enough, attack the north square using the same trick, migrate your entire militia to the north square after initiating the fight, and move your mercs off. In fact you can take all of Drassen without your mercs firing a single shot after you've secured one square. It's cheap but it works.

Krivol

Magister
Head to San Mona first for easy money and some decent weapons:
- do a quest with a hooker and her brother (10k$ and nice jacket)
- do fighting club - 15k$
(Optional): rob Kingpin (30k$ in a mineshaft)
- kill kingpin and his friends - not only 35k$ (+/- some more), but 4-5 nice rifles (Commando and Steyr Aug A2).
You can sell some stuff at Tony's shop here and left San Mona with LOTS of cash and (optional, it can be fun-killer) guns. Then You should go to Drassen or Chitzena.

If Drassen counterattack option is on, You will be attacked by hordes of Dedriana soliders, so You must be tricky - hide in a bar, or buy some sniper rifles and explosives, or... just let them take the mine and return at night with some brand new nightvision googles and maybe some militia friends.

And prefered first squad (depends on money):
Barry Unger - nice demolition guy, and good mechanic later, still - not very good shooter, but Shooting is probably the easiest skill to rise.
Igor - cheap and pretty good solider, little training needed
Buns - sharpshooter trait is nice (and she's cheap)
Ice - good overall and bonuses for machine guns, why not?
Blood - helps winning fight club, and after light training he is very good solider

damicore

Augur
Well, I'm starting a new game with reinforcements and drassen counterattack off, and starting with 45k$ in experienced.
What should I set Bobby ray's at? I'm not sure, I don't want to outclass my enemies in everything right off the bat.

Unrelated question, why is the .38 special more expensive than the P7M8 on Michael Dawson (My MD)?

damicore

Augur
Tried again, got hit like twice, there were like only 8 enemies at the airport?????
And then I found setting bobby ray's selection at awesome was the stupiddest thing ever, I'll have to do it all over again. I might aswell reactivate enemy reinforcements? I don't know.

potatojohn

Arcane
I'd leave BR on default (excellent). That way you'll get all the guns when you take 5 cities. I think if you set it lower you'll never get the coolest guns.

Might as well leave the counterattack on. On experienced the militia will take care of it.

sser

Arcane
Developer
Turning off Drassen counter-attack is for pussies.

/still hasn't beaten the Drassen counter-attack.

Tried again, got hit like twice, there were like only 8 enemies at the airport?????
And then I found setting bobby ray's selection at awesome was the stupiddest thing ever, I'll have to do it all over again. I might aswell reactivate enemy reinforcements? I don't know.
I suggest setting Bobby Ray selection to Great. That way you will have access to early SMG-s, shotguns and rifles when you take Drassen, but assault rifles will have to wait until you take the second city. You will still have all the equipment in the end, it will just take a little more time. Setting it lower then Great ("Normal") will cause it to lag behind the equipment you get from just looting.

Enemy reinforcements (if by this you mean what I think it means) just makes enemies from neighbouring sectors assist the sector you are attacking. So it will increase the number of enemies in the airport sector, but later you will have less enemies to fight in the central sector. Personally I think it's a fun (a single large battle is a lot more challenging and fun then a series of smaller engagements to me) and realistic setting and you should turn it on - just remember to not be close to the area where the reinforcements will appear when the shooting starts. Unless you are there to take advantage of that by shooting them when they appear of course.

damicore

Augur
I'd leave BR on default (excellent). That way you'll get all the guns when you take 5 cities. I think if you set it lower you'll never get the coolest guns.

Might as well leave the counterattack on. On experienced the militia will take care of it.

It is on default (excellent), my mistake. But when I took drassen and entered BR's it seemed that I could get stuff that would easily outclass the enemy. Fiddling with the settings is not as fun as the actual game is. I mean, there are a TON OF GUNS.

Enemy reinforcements (if by this you mean what I think it means) just makes enemies from neighbouring sectors assist the sector you are attacking. So it will increase the number of enemies in the airport sector, but later you will have less enemies to fight in the central sector. Personally I think it's a fun (a single large battle is a lot more challenging and fun then a series of smaller engagements to me) and realistic setting and you should turn it on - just remember to not be close to the area where the reinforcements will appear when the shooting starts. Unless you are there to take advantage of that by shooting them when they appear of course.
Do you even know where reinforcements will appear?
And by central area do you mean the central part of drassen or the central part of Arulco?

Do you even know where reinforcements will appear?
From the direction where they would arrive on the map. For the airport that means on the lower edge of the map (probably right on the road leading down, but not necessary). If there are other groups in neighbouring sectors, they will appear on the edge next to their current sector.

Edit: central part of Drassen

Krivol

Magister
Bobby's selection should be poor! This game is not about buying cool stuff, but about fighting for good stuff. Where's the fun if you just get some money by mining and buy Tavor Tar with all included? Keep boby's ray selection medium or low. Same with weapon progression - but remember, if you buy/find/cheat good rifles (like in San Mona) and have slow item progress, you enemies will not be any trouble for you at the begining (will have only pistols and maybe SMG).

If BR selection is excellent or better, there is no reason why not buy this mini steyr (SMG, but decent range with match ammo), give it x2 scope and silencers - half of the game is yours. No fun.

potatojohn

Arcane
Well Wolf has a steyr smg with a 2x scope, and you get a silencer if you take the stealth trait, so I don't think it's unfair that you can get it in the shop.

And actually, playing NCTH without at least 2x scopes is pretty frustrating.

Smg ammo becomes useless pretty soon as enemies start to have better armor.

Krivol

Magister
Scopes are extremly useful (at last x2, ACOG is my choice later), but silenced steyr smg at night is killer for first stage of game (2-3 cities) and burst in the head is useful later, before getting P90. Now I'm playing without freeing Drassen at all and using pistols at close range is great. And until now I've never used pistols (exept FN five-seven much later - 5 headshots in one turn :D why not? ).

One Silencer and one Steyr Smg is nothing bad, as match ammunition is rare.

laclongquan

Arcane
Drassen Counterattack is the most difficult battle I've ever played.

The number of enemies are too large, that you will kill all day long.

They got a big percentage of elite troopers, that you can not adequate defense against them.

Militia cant help, as they are outnumbered and can be wiped out within 3 turns. Or reduced 9/10 without inflicting equal damage.

It's hard to manipulate the timing of the attack. You are strictly defensive. If we can manipulate them into doing that in the night, it could be done. Station in the toilet or the northern-most bar and wait for their move. In daylight that mean enemies can see us from far, faraway and taking potshot at us. Enough shots, even with terrible accuracy, still can cause damage, and our defense power go down.

Their moving patrol from outside can join in, which mean a reinforcement of 20% current force.

Norfleet

Drassen counterattack = best battle ever.

What you need to do to fend off the Drassen counterattacks is that you need to prepare a very nice field of fire. This means blowing up everything that the enemy could remotely use for cover. Then rigging the field in explosives. When the enemy moves into the 4 killboxes you have set up, press the button. BOOM! Also, lose the militia, they distract and scatter the enemy. Not only do militia not help, they actively harm the battle effort with their inept fumbling. Post them in a non-threatened sector, or barricade them into a building using mineflags. If they run around like headless chickens and cause the enemy to become scattered, it's that much harder to blow them up.

You can also be proactive, counter-raiding them at night before they arrive.

My preferred defensive spots:
Airport: Defend the building in the southeast.
Central: Defend the building at the end of the central street.
Mine: Defend the Mine Building, clear all cover from the south approach with splodes.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom