Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Chris Avellone Interviewed at GamesIndustry

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
I think if you made a game using some of the concepts of Planescape, the metaphysical ideas and the plane travel, without using the D&D mechanics, you could actually come up with a much better game.
Of course. Planescape could be a much better game by just scrapping the DnD mechanics and replace them with some Obsidian ingenuity, e.g. Alphaturd mechanics. Voila! A much better game.

They currently have to make mass accessible games for consoles as that is what the Publisher will require. IF they wourked exclusively on a new rule system they would love to play and implement in a game (say via Kickstarter), I'd be willing to bet it would be quite good.

G Ziets

Digimancy Entertainment
Developer
MCA kinda did PS:T spiritual successor already - with MotB. I don't know how you can be closer to Planescape: Torment than this without becoming a direct sequel.

I was under the impression that story of MotB was mostly the work of George Ziets.

Both games were personal stories, and they both involved interplanar travel. But the themes were very different, and with MotB, I definitely wasn't trying to write a spiritual successor to Torment. I'll leave that to Chris - I don't think anyone else could pull it off.

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
They currently have to make mass accessible games for consoles as that is what the Publisher will require. IF they wourked exclusively on a new rule system they would love to play and implement in a game (say via Kickstarter), I'd be willing to bet it would be quite good.
We can't know for sure, but in my opinion there's nothing in Obsidian's past to indicate they're capable to come up with an entire system from scratch (within a fairly short dev-cycle of 2-3 years) that's as good as DnD would be or even comes close. Not that I blame them for it, because it's impossible for a handful of dudes to create a system within that short timeframe that beats something developed by so many over such a long time and got thouroughly playtested like an established system, be it DnD or something else.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
MCA kinda did PS:T spiritual successor already - with MotB. I don't know how you can be closer to Planescape: Torment than this without becoming a direct sequel.

I was under the impression that story of MotB was mostly the work of George Ziets.

Both games were personal stories, and they both involved interplanar travel. But the themes were very different, and with MotB, I definitely wasn't trying to write a spiritual successor to Torment. I'll leave that to Chris - I don't think anyone else could pull it off.
Ahh, another lurker. :) Always nice to see devs on the Codex.

Morkar Left

We can't know for sure, but in my opinion there's nothing in Obsidian's past to indicate they're capable to come up with an entire system from scratch (within a fairly short dev-cycle of 2-3 years) that's as good as DnD would be or even comes close. Not that I blame them for it, because it's impossible for a handful of dudes to create a system within that short timeframe that beats something developed by so many over such a long time and got thouroughly playtested like an established system, be it DnD or something else.

What do you think about Frayed Knights? Plays pretty solid for me as a rulesystem and seems to be heavily inspired by 3.5

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
What do you think about Frayed Knights? Plays pretty solid for me as a rulesystem and seems to be heavily inspired by 3.5
It was ok-ish. Perhaps this
heavily inspired by 3.5
was the key for FK being solid? I don't know, however, it's still a system purely for combat (with nothing else) and with fairly limited character building suited for the 4 obligatory characters. Imo it's nowhere near DnD or TDE.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom