Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wasteland Wasteland 2 Pre-Release Discussion Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
So then why are you here?

Oh OK.

SinVraal

Educated
I discovered Codex by googling 'Let's Play Wasteland' looking for vids. I an excellent let's play here on the codex, saw most people felt the same way as I did about old CRPGs and the crap that is out now so I signed up.

canakin

Cipher
Kind of reminds me the huge difference between the cool concept art for Fallout 3 and the piece of we eventually got.

LmcXv.jpg

OMAro.jpg

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Kind of reminds me the huge difference between the cool concept art for Fallout 3 and the piece of we eventually got.

That Fallout 3 "concept art" isn't actually concept art. It was third-party promotional art done by an out-of-studio artist, Craig Mullins. Adam Adamowicz did the actual concept art and it looks way different.

The Wasteland 2 pieces we've seen are similarly done by an out-of-studio artist, Andree Wallin. He's not their art director or their concept artist. His work in general is more promotional than conceptual.

So...

*shrugs*?

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Jaesun I think you'll find yourself being a little over-zealous if you re-read what he wrote :P

The thing about part-based converstation is that it could be balanced against combat skills.
i.e. more than 2 specializing in some social skill and your party would be pretty damn weak. Numbers can always be tweaked.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
How can anyone consider SoZ convo system great?

You will just have every party member maxing only one social skill, kinda... defeats the purpose of having them at all?
What makes you think there will be social skills?

Since this won't be blobby it speeds up the process of selecting who does what. Plus there can be mutually exclusive options.

potatojohn

Arcane
Hahaha, that looks terrible. Reminds me of UFO: Afterlight, but way worse.

I said that they should've just gone 2d iso, but noooo.

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Well, this flip floppery is definitately codexian.
SoZ released: PARTY CONVO SUCK
Announced for W2: <3 <3 <3 BRIAN UR GENIUS MCA FAPFAPFAP etcetc

I thought the party convo was always praised. The game itself wasn't.

Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming!
There were always people praising it and always people critisizing it. Retards like dramaticpopcorn can't seem to grasp that different people on this forum having different opinions on stuff != codex flip-flop.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
It really is just a comment on how defensive many posts in this thread are. As you point out, there are always people who critisize, why the fuck are so many codexers ITT getting so bioware-fanboi level butthurt to any negativity is beyond me.
I'm defensive to the extent that I point out that it's a WIP screenshot. The kind of shit FPS modders release. No AAA dev would ever release something this early.

I agree with the complaints. Some of the assets look a little too stylized and everything is just too saturated (for my taste). I hope Fargo an co. get this feedback on the Wasteland 2 forums as well.

How can anyone consider SoZ convo system great?

You will just have every party member maxing only one social skill, kinda... defeats the purpose of having them at all?
Because making your MC into a master orator is a much better approach?

That, and ultimately it depends on how easy it is to level the social skills (assuming there will be social skills). Maybe points won't be given like candy and you can't comfortably raise a character's effectiveness in combat and his talky skill(s) at the same time, and you end with a party of diplomats that get raped by the roving robot gangs?

Anubioz

Novice
THE ORIGINAL:
wasteland-original.jpg

POLITE FACEBOOK VERSION:
wasteland.jpg

IMPOLITE HARDCORE 256-COLOR VERSION:
wasteland-256.jpg

I never thought, that those images will be so popular - they are requested every minute or so. Now I cannot make myself reboot the router, which hosts them :)
I've wasted my time by adding a view counter to them. (you can even try MySQL injection there :). I clearly have nothing better to do until Wasteland 2 is out :)

Pipeweed

Arcane
FBI kwantards impeding the progress of W2!

So today I was off picking up a package from the far end of town and realized I wasn’t too far from a location featured in the zone I’m presently writing content for, for the Wasteland 2 computer game. I spotted some “location shots” that applied to something I knew might be relevant for someone else’s section also.

So I pulled over to the side of the road and started taking shots with my phone. I drove a ways closer to an interesting spot, with some really interesting visuals, and stopped the car again. I took some more shots and a short video.

TAP TAP TAP
Then someone tapped on my car window.

“Why are you taking pictures here?” growled the big man in the security uniform.

*gulp*

“I’m working on a video game and some of it takes place around here, 100 years in the future. I wanted to send the producers some reference pictures of what it looks like at the moment.”

“You can’t take pictures here. After 9/11, it’s not allowed. The FBI wouldn’t like it. You’ll have to delete the photos.”

“Okay, you bet.”

*delete*

*show him*

“Your name? And what is this for specifically?”

“Liz Danforth. The game is Wasteland 2. We did the original game back in 1988; this is the sequel we’re working on. You can look me up on the web and verify all this.”

ETA: I didn’t make this clear upon writing it, because I didn’t want to deliver anything that might qualify as a spoiler. I’ll just say that it was, in fact, a federal facility (not that I realized it) and there are restrictions on photographing them. The guy was doing what he was supposed to.

www.lizdanforth.com/2012/07/the-hazards-of-reference-photos/

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom