Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Confirmed: Bethesda v. Interplay Settlement Has Occurred

Who is more retarded

• Herve

Votes: 36 62.1%
  • Todd

Votes: 48 82.8%

• Total voters

curry

Arcane
http://www.duckandcover.cx/forums/viewtopic.php?t=25887

Today, DAC has confirmation that a settlement has, in fact, taken place. It actually took place the day of the trial - and had I been able to get online and sort through the documents I would have reported as much. We do not yet have the details of the settlement - they will be announced this month (January 2012) - but we can report that on the day of trial, the atmosphere in the court room was tense until the judge recessed. This recess was extended, and then they recessed for lunch. After the lunch recess, the court room was locked to everyone except attorneys and clients. When our source asked why this was the case, our source was told it was because they were working out a settlement. The following day, another source called the court reporter to ask what the next hearing schedule for the case was - this source was told there was no schedule as a settlement had been reached.

Herve_Caen.jpg
vs :hearnoevil:

Any guesses which side gave up?

Menckenstein

Lunacy of Caen: Todd Reaver
I am sure Bethesderp gave up and forked out some monies to Herve to avoid having to try and wrest the Fallout MMO from his hands in the courtroom anymore. Too much humiliation.

MCA
Not just Fallout MMO. The last I read about this, a few weeks ago IIRC, the situation was that the sales of the entire franchise could be nullified due to Bethesda setting up the entire sales agreements and terms to be vague and misleading (to the point of claiming stupid shit like "though they can use the name Fallout for an MMO game, they can't use mutants or iconography, names, lore etc. from Fallout lore") to ensure that Interplay would fail either way and that Bethesda would automatically gain MMO rights back, which could potentially be seen as malpractice resulting in Interplay getting the full IP back again and Bethesda being reduced to a licensee for a limited number of Fallout titles.

It's a pity they reached a settlement.

funkadelik

Arcane
And here I was thinking that people didn't even believe that "Intellectual Properties" actually existed and therefore you could not remove from inventory legally.

EG

Nullified
I was hoping this would continue until Herve destroyed Bethesda, and collapsed Interplay in the process.

Such foolish dreams.

EG

Nullified
Neither.

They must both be stopped.

MCA
But instead, they are now settling and we won't even get to laugh at either one for losing hard.

We, the gamers, are the only that lose unconditionally.

ElectricOtter

Didn't see that coming. I guess that Todd finally wore Herve down enough to throw some money at him. Hmm, shame they didn't continue and destroy each other in the process.

Ermm

Erudite
Why so much hate on Interplay

They made and developed some very good games, but gems like Descent 3 and Freespace 2 didn't sold very much. So if no one buys quality, then I don't blame them for anything they did.

EG

Nullified

They made and developed some very good games, but gems like Descent 3 and Freespace 2 didn't sold very much. So if no one buys quality, then I don't blame them for anything they did.

Kill him!

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite

Herve Caen is only in it for the money and every decision he's made to make money has been terrible.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Bullshit iognorance above. Interplay was a developer. Who developed FO? Interplay.

Drakron

Arcane
Yeah, and to be precise, Interplay never made any games. Interplay has always been a publisher.

Shut up you fucking retarded newfag.

Interplay started as a developer,Mindshadow was their first game and it was published by Activision in 1984 and they became a publisher in 1988.

MCA
Didn't see that coming. I guess that Todd finally wore Herve down enough to throw some money at him. Hmm, shame they didn't continue and destroy each other in the process.

You got that wrong. Bethesda found themselves at an extremely risky position. Because they set Interplay up to fail, giving them an MMO license only in name without the ability to do anything with it and without any good faith, the court could decide to abolish the original sales agreement which gave the whole IP to Bethesda and MMO license to Interplay under misleading terms. Hence, Bethesda was at risk of losing ownership of the entire IP and being reduced to be a licensee, ie. Herve's bitch, for a number of titles and also pay damages. I don't know about the probability of the court making such a ruling but obviously, the risk was just too huge to take regardless, especially what with Bethesda's majestic deferred success at every step of the legal proceedings. Herve must be swimming in money now.

Stinger

Arcane
That said even if Iply had gotten back the license like people wanted, do you really think they'd take the game and turn it back into a turn based or even a real time with pause game? Not with all these new fans bitching and moaning about 'ruining' their classic franchise. Fallout as an FPS is here to stay.

Fuck everyone.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
Herve probably sold out just to make some bucks and enough money to make the Fallout MMO license. Bethesda didn't want to risk losing the IP, so they took the lesser of two evils.

ElectricOtter

You got that wrong. Bethesda found themselves at an extremely risky position. Because they set Interplay up to fail, giving them an MMO license only in name without the ability to do anything with it and without any good faith, the court could decide to abolish the original sales agreement which gave the whole IP to Bethesda and MMO license to Interplay under misleading terms. Hence, Bethesda was at risk of losing ownership of the entire IP and being reduced to be a licensee, ie. Herve's bitch, for a number of titles and also pay damages. I don't know about the probability of the court making such a ruling but obviously, the risk was just too huge to take regardless, especially what with Bethesda's majestic deferred success at every step of the legal proceedings. Herve must be swimming in money now.
Ah, I see. Thanks for clarifying that for me. Too bad that's almost the exact opposite of both of them destroying each other in a vicious legal battle.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
I guess Bethesda agreed to let Hervé handle the Fallout license if they also take Prosper away.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom