Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Your mouse/keyboard combination

gromit

Arcane
Overweight Manatee said:
Sorry, no, I do not find this necessary in effect
wallace said:
regardless of if you find (this) necessary in effect or not
I'm not saying you need it, or ANYONE needs it, and I dropped a hell of a lot of hints (and outright statements) to this effect, so don't get all dismissive at me. I wrote that up because, hey, maybe someone (even you) didn't know and wanted a simplified explanation of the difference.

You're spot on about it both being mostly important for smoothness of curves, etc, and also about them being largely "good enough" (especially for gaming) these days at the baseline.

The only time it ever really gets to me: I hate the slow creep of holding down a mouse button and edging the mouse over one "pixel of the hand" at a time, waiting for it to register the one actual pixel of motion I want... but not as much as I hate trying to do the same and overshoot. I'd rather hate neither, and I don't have to hate either as much as I used to, but I'd have to hate either even less if "more responsive than anyone needs" was a baseline design goal rather than a hundred-dollar luxury.

GeneralSamov said:
What's more useful in a mouse, though, is the ability to stomach a boost in the USB polling frequency

ChristofferC

Magister
My keyboard is an IBM UltraNav with no keypad and with a TrackPoint. My mouse is an el cheapo Microsoft Wheel Mouse Optical.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Bruticis said:
The optical engine in the RAT used to be so fucked up, it made me RAGE and send it back. I loved the sniper button though, wish more mice did that. Have they resolved the issue with the mouse cursor tracking in random directions and not resetting until you unplug it?

That was a problem with early releases apparently, the one used in most reviews. Mine has no such issues. Mine also has the Teflon foot under the thumbrest, which a lot of the reviews complained about it not having so I guess they changed something and re-released the mouse.

Coyote

Arcane
c01718558.jpg

41R47M9G7KL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

AWW YEAH BITCHES BEAT THAT

Excommunicator said:
I will never go back to using a keyboard without backlit keys

Out of curiosity, why is that? I've heard this sentiment before, but it always leaves me scratching my head, especially since it usually comes from tech junkies who have been using keyboards daily for years. As long as the keyboard has those little ridges on the F and J keys, I never really need to look at it, and it would take me more time to find a key by looking for it rather than feeling for it even if I started with my hands not on the keyboard.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
razer-blackwidow-stealth-mechanical-keyboard-580x325.jpg

After using membrane keyboards for so long, going to a mechanical keyboard is some sort of goddamn revelation. Much faster and more accurate response in pressing keys, more comfortable, less effort required in typing, and I even type faster and with fewer typos as a result. Kind of expensive? Yes, but they don't get worn out after a year like most other keyboards and are fucking excellent to type on. I went with the Razer Blackwidow Stealth because it was fairly cheap as far as these keyboards go, the keys use Cherry MX Brown switches, and I wanted it to match my mouse...

razer-imperator-mouse-02.jpg

I used a Logitech G5 for a long time, but I found after a while that its tracking just wasn't quite as good as what I wanted. Furthermore, the software, SetPoint, was complete fucking pants, used tons of memory, and was buggy as shit. Decided to go with Razer because I'd always heard good things about them and I haven't been disappointed. The Razer Imperator is a great mouse, with perfect tracking, good drivers and a very comfortable feel. I use a SteelSeries Qck mouse pad, because it's basically the cheapest gaming mouse pad available (not willing to spend 2-3x more on one), it's got a big surface area, it tracks well, and even though I wanted to get a hard surface at one point, I've heard they get worn out quickly.

That said, I might move away from Razer in the future. I like the Blackwidow keyboard but I realize I could go with any other brand in the future that uses the same types of keys. Other people have also expressed concern about the durability and build quality of Razer products. I haven't had any major problems, but after a couple months the keys on my Blackwidow are starting to feel glossy as the finish gets worn down (I can probably replace the keys at some point if I really want to), and the finish of my Imperator has also started to feel kinda greasy and slick, rather than smooth and lightly textured as it did when it was new. As much as I have enjoyed this Razer stuff, if it doesn't hold up then I'm going to have to go with something else down the road (and probably will just for the heck of it).

Repressed Homosexual
My Mamba just broke. The scroll wheel is squeaky and hard to turn, the wireless function is always cut and hard to activate, and the right mouse button sometimes gets stuck.

Never buying a Razer product again. Just placed an order for a Logitech G500. Wired doesn't bother me as much now that there are USB ports to the right of my Das Keyboard. It looks like Logitech really got their stuff together with this one, and that the lens is especially much improved.

Bruticis

People on the Kodex seriously buy Razer products??? Wow, how many of you tools also picked up the gamers glassez to go along with your shiny shit?

Filco Majestouch 2 Ninja with Cherry MX Brown switches + Logitech G400

I really would have liked to get either a Mionix Naos 5000 or a Roccat Kone+, but I just couldn't spend any more money.

I've had quite a few Razer mice (and a Razer keyboard). The original Diamondback is my favorite mouse of all time.

Crappy phone pic:

photo.jpg

coaster

Liturgist
Small and compact to easily fit on my lap tray. Also cheap. Emprex mini keyboard & Belkin mouse.

CorpseZeb

Learned
Steelseries G6V2 keyboard and Xai mouse... but frankly, only quality of mechanical keyboard made a real difference to my previous a4tech X-750 and cherry "combo".

ElectricOtter

440x330-x4_final_3.jpg

!cid_011001c8b7a5$360a9850$6f00a8c0@ksnqq28xx0f7su.jpg

The Microsoft Sidewinder X4 I got for Christmas, and I'm loving it so far. I've had the Logitech mouse for a while. I should probably think about getting a new one soon, mine is tough as fuck but it's getting pretty worn down (you can literally see where I hold the mouse because there's no paint there).

meh

Educated
Razer Krait, which has been dropped 4 times per day, when i used it with laptop. Now it disconnects and reconnects at random intervals if you touch wire a bit, makes me rage. In combination with steelseries qck pad feels great though.
Old generic HP keyboard, took home for free from work.

AlaCarcuss

Arbiter
G700.JPG

This is the most comfortable Logitech mouse I ever owned - also I like pleanty of buttons on my mouse so the G700 is a good fit (a bit expensive though). It's both corded and cordless.. i.e. when the battery runs out you just plug in the cord and continue.

G13.JPG

I use a G13 for most games ....

N52TE.JPG

and a Nostromo N52TE for FPS and/or games that don't require as many buttons or functionality.

The N52 is without question the most comfortable - I could never go back to using a standard keyboard.

Finally, I just picked up a Logitech G13 based on some other Kodexers opinion and am trying to learn how to use it effectively.

Ah yes, I think that was me. Stick with it man, once you get used to it you'll find it indespensible. :thumbsup:

Morkar Left

and a Nostromo N52TE for FPS and/or games that don't require as many buttons or functionality.
The N52 is without question the most comfortable - I could never go back to using a standard keyboard.

I bought it, too but rarely use it. But it was totally worth the price (cheap compared to similar controllers and overall quality) because it comes in good use when playing Elite Frontier or I-War.

Bruticis

Ah yes, I think that was me. Stick with it man, once you get used to it you'll find it indespensible. :thumbsup:

Yup, it was indeed and I'm now loving it! I've got issues with my wrists and they are sore from years of keyboard misuse. The G13 really helps me play longer. I love it and you'd have to pry it from my limp wrists to get it away from me now.

CreamyBlood

Arcane
It's nice to see that some people appreciate the 'clickity-clack'. As long as they don't have the cheap circuits in them that cancels out certain key combos they are great. If it's not heavy enough to bash someones head in with, then it's not a real keyboard.

I have a stack of them and when they get too full of stems and seeds and ashes and beer, I pick a new one off the stack and get used to it. As to the mice, what is up with the lazer shit? Seriously? And mouse pads? What, your mouse is going to pick up pussy hair that much faster? Get used to adjusting your tracking speed and playing properly, not depending on FaTAIlITY to sell you something to make you uber.

I'm an old fuck but my neighbor is older and has just played Serious Sam SE for the first time (nine hours straight). Now he wants me to install a game for him on his lame ass computer (that I built for him) that is '3d'.

So, I'm giving him this game, and I'm giving him *my* keyboard/mouse combination that I've used for probably around fifteen years. Here's a customized version modified for generic weapon selection for my newbie, geriatric neighbor just so he learns 'properly'. I'll have him playing ETPro in no time.

800241-RKTRB1R.jpg

Repressed Homosexual
I've recently received the G500. Pretty impressed, the shape is more comfortable than the Razer. The mouse wheel is also the smoothest I've ever used. I was pretty impressed by the weight system, there are like 12 small weights that you can add to the bottom of the mouse to get either a light mouse of a heavy mouse. The laser is also distinctively more precise.

The only thing I don't like are the side buttons, they're not as accessible as on the Razer (although I frankly never use that stuff), and the rough plastic surface. The Razer was more pleasing to the touch. I suppose I'll just get used to it though.

If I had known the G400 was a good mouse beforehand I would've probably gone with it but I'm satisfied of this purchase nevertheless.

Repressed Homosexual
Turns out I was completely wrong. The more I use this mouse, the more I absolutely can't stand it.

It feels so off. I can't stand the sandpaper surface, it slips off my hand all the time. It fits the shape of my hand well, but it's unbalanced. It's way too big. The scroll wheel is way too sensitive. The sensor is at a weird place. I can never get pleasing results with the Logitech Setpoint software. I can never aim right. It just gives me a tremendous headache.

I was practically desperate for another Mamba at some point. Returning it for a new Mamba. Even if Razer's quality is shaky, ultimately feel and precision win.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
I've only bought a quality mouse and mouse-pad once. I felt a strong difference in sensitivity, which is important if you play stuff like Starcraft religiously.

I have no use for it, though, so I stick with the cheapest keyboard/mouse I can find from the local Best Buy equivalent and use that until it breaks.

*shrug*

Coyote said:
Out of curiosity, why is that? I've heard this sentiment before, but it always leaves me scratching my head, especially since it usually comes from tech junkies who have been using keyboards daily for years. As long as the keyboard has those little ridges on the F and J keys, I never really need to look at it, and it would take me more time to find a key by looking for it rather than feeling for it even if I started with my hands not on the keyboard.

Yeah, it isn't for the touch typing. It's the constant switching from other devices/programs back to the keyboard and that 0.5-1 second of time where you glance back to the keyboard in low-light conditions after taking your hands away that really causes fatigue/eye strain. It is especially tiresome when you're doing it all night and going between keyboard, mouse, tablet and midi keyboard/controller with all of the associated keyboard shortcuts of the various programs.

Muty

Prophet
Patron
Wasteland 2 BattleTech
I just acquired this baby:
productpage_sensei_laser_top_rev1-1.png

And after using a shitty razer lachesis mouse for several years I can say that the difference is amazing.

Also mechanical keyboards ftw:
productpage_6gv2_big.png

I love this keyboard.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
I got the steelseries sensei for christmas as well. It's quite good. I'm loving the per-application macros (although the delay when the mouse switches profiles can get a little tiresome with a lot of alt-tabbing). Feels good in the hand and is symmetrical, so it's one of the few mice suitable for us left-handed folk.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom