Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Completed Let's Play Diablo III Beta - COMPLETED!

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
PART 7 –Chicken Spirits

Last time we saw our hero, Sulik was at the cemetery gates, and had to search 3 crypts for the Skeleton King’s lost crown. So carry on, bold adventurers!

P0YcR.jpg

We enter the first Crypt and are greeted by a ‘Molten’ enchanted zombie. Molten enemies leave a trail of lava as they walk, and explode in flames when they die, so a little caution is required.

Jom1O.jpg

Our next foes are assholes imps. I have to give it to Blizzard here, if they wanted to create annoying enemies that don’t too much damage but are hard to kill, they did it. They are fast, and hitting them with our Poison Dart is nearly impossible, so we just have run close and club them to death or use our area spell. On a positive note, we also find a better weapon, a magic 1-handed spear (that I forgot to screenshot, sorry).

Demons have been known to devour their own young when no other nourishment is available. Their offsprings, the imps, sometimes manage to flee and band together with other demons spawn, They rove in vicious packs, ready to descend upon the unwary traveler and rip his body to shred with their tiny, needle-sharp teeth.
- Deckard Cain

JCcXK.jpg

The crypt is short, and we soon find a teleporter stone leading out, but guarded by Ghastly Gravediggers, the ghost of some grave robbers. They run towards us to fight with shovels, but are easily killed.

gkWmw.jpg

Crypt 1 cleared, we use the stone to teleport out and proceed to the next one. Here we fight some more Molten zombies, and I manage to capture their explosion on a nice screenshot. :D

X38gG.jpg

These crypts are small, and we soon reach the stairs leading to the next floor.

U8j2g.jpg

The only thing on this floor is a big ass boss, Manglemaw. I think he can kill us with a few punches, but he’s so slow that doesn’t even hit us. The lore indentifies him as an ‘Unburied’:

The unburied are formed from human corpses that were flung into mass graves without a proper burial. This hideous amalgamation of bodies decomposes together into one being, bound by some foul magic. For all my knowledge, I could only flee from it… and I would expect any other sensible person to do the same.
- Abd al-Hazir

SOiQ4.jpg

He drops some really phat lewt, including a new chest armor, a bracer, crafting material and even a Page of Training. If we combine 5 of those, we get a book that upgrades the Blacksmith, the Mystic or the Jeweler.

Th6WM.jpg

Next floor, the Chancellor’s Tomb, where a Tomb Guardian awaits us. These undead mages cast some powerful magic bolts at us and keep teleporting & summoning more skeletons, but die in 2 hits. Just be sure to focus on them, or soon a massive horde of skeletons will be running after you.

BdFYh.jpg

We slay him and find the Crown and the end of the room, but them the ghost of Chancellor Eamon attacks us. He puts a tough fight, as he closes up fast and starts hitting hard. We try to run away do some strategic maneuvers, but he just teleports close and keep attacking.

zJx8m.jpg

Still, he is defeated, we grab the crown and get some Xp. More importantly, we get the Heartstone Stone of Recall, that works just like a Town Portal, but has unlimited uses (and no cooldown)!

fLDJM.jpg

We could head back to town, but real bros must explore everything, so we enter the Third Crypt. Here the ghost of Lady Dunhyld gives us a side-quest.

O9SVe.jpg
Grave robbers have defiled my tomb. Now, my husband writhes in torment because I do not rest at his side. Return my bones so that we may rest in peace.

6wCdM.jpg

Her bones are on the same room and show by huge golden dots on my minimap, so this will be easy. Apart of course from the annoying husband's ghost, that attack me with a horde of skeletons every time I pick up one of the bones…*sigh*

bQBYp.jpg

Just to punish him, my Hex Shaman turns him into a chicken. Ha, serves you well, jerk!

c5oUl.jpg

We them return the bones, the Death Star strikes the tomb, we earn a shitload of XP and level up! (Okay, we leveled up while picking up the bones, but enough pics already). We also learn Horrify:

I00Kn.jpg

Not a very useful skill at this point… running enemies are a pain to hit, and I can control packs of enemies very well using Grasp of the Dead.

1pMGT.jpg

All the crypts explored, we use our new Stone of Recall and teleport to town and give the crown to the blacksmith.

m2Yqw.jpg
You found the crown? Thruth be told, I didn’t think you’d make it back alive. Ahh, it need reapir. Should be no problem…
m2Yqw.jpg
There. New as the day it was placed upon the Black King’s head. I need something more than making spades to occupy my mind. I want my life to mean something.
guG2y.jpg
We all seek meaning in grief. Maybe we will find it together. I have other news. Your apprentice died his final death. I am sorry.
m2Yqw.jpg
Fool boy. Hope for the worst, and you will not be disappointed. Thank you for the news.

N8rOz.jpg

Quest completed. He also gives us the Nephalem Cube, which allows us to break all the shitty loot that we carry and turn them into crafting material. Note that both the Cube and the Teleport stone stay on special slots in the inventory screen, so they don't take loot space!

We break everything and get 28 ‘common scraps’, 16 magic ‘subtle essences’, 1 rare ‘tooth’ and even a LEGENDARY ‘Petrified Bark’, wow! A good thing with this new feature is that we never have to go back to town because our bag is full, we just break the itens. And at least in the beta, breaking itens is much more useful than selling them to vendors, as crafted itens are way better than the ones on the stores.

So let’s craft!

ex0tA.jpg

Crafting is simple: you choose one of the recipes on the list, and if you have the materials & gold, just click on 'Craft'. You can make lot's of amours and weapons, and as you level up the Blacksmith, more recipes became available. There are some monsters & bosses that can also drop books containing rare recipes. And all crafted itens have random bonus & enchantments, so getting the equipment that is "just right" might take some trys...

My blacksmith is Lv 3 already, but everything he learned is for higher level characters, so we forge some basic equipment: chest armor, bracers, gloves and a helmet, all magical and far superior to our current ones.

Here I have to say, crafted items are vastly overpowered. Even the Witch-Doctor only ‘magic voodoo mask’ that we found a while ago is shit next to them. Not only the armor bonus is 4 times bigger, but they always give a stats boost; and their random magic proprieties are superior too. They are cheap to make too, and some are available even to Lv 3 characters!

Anyway, here we are, well-equiped and with the Skeleton King’s crown in hand! Next update we begin the final quest and dive into the lower Cathedral levels!

Skittles

He ruins the fun.
Have you run into uniques/set components/etc. that might compete with crafted equipment yet?
Also, how does the gem system work? What're the types? Can you combine still?
Would socketed random drops with proper gems be comparable to crafted stuff? Can you get socketable crafted equipment?
Any chance of some exposure to the enchanting system?

Sorry for all the loot based questions, but that's essentially the only draw of Diablo 2 for me, so...

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Have you run into uniques/set components/etc. that might compete with crafted equipment yet?
Also, how does the gem system work? What're the types? Can you combine still?
Would socketed random drops with proper gems be comparable to crafted stuff? Can you get socketable crafted equipment?
Any chance of some exposure to the enchanting system?

Sorry for all the loot based questions, but that's essentially the only draw of Diablo 2 for me, so...
No problem man, I'm LP the beta exactly for that. But sadly most of what you asked isn't available to me...

I do have some leaked screens from the closed betas, where you can see the gems & sockets system:

416px-Jeweler-interface-socket.jpg

The Jeweler will be a upgradeable crafter like the Blacksmith, where you will add sockets and gems to itens. IIRC you will no longer find socketed itens as loot, all the sockest will be added later. And any quality of iten can be socketed, even set pieces and legendary ones.

And weapons cannot be socketed, they instead are enchanted by the Mystic, the other crafter:

359px-Mystic-enhance1.jpg

Hope that helped, if you wanna know anything else just ask, or go straight to the source, here.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
PART 8 – Templar Douche

To the final quest!

yUAoA.jpg

guG2y.jpg
The crown is in my keeping. Direct me now to the lost king.
1X2Nt.jpg
At last. With it, you can unlock the sealed door in the room where you rescued me and enter the royal crypts. When you find the Skeleton King, place the crown atop of his head… and destroy him.
guG2y.jpg
The Skeleton King’s sickness infects this land. I will put an end to it and find the star our sis.

nHGZ7.jpg

We them teleport back to the Cathedral Gardens, take the secret passage and open the big ass door!

2ZdGY.jpg

We find another shrine and a Plague Enchanted bat attacks us. Plague monsters creates this big green circles that poisons and damage, so we keep our distance.

ruUFc.jpg

Here we start to fight some really massive hordes, as you get ambushed by skeletons that crawl out from windows in huge numbers. To our glorious hero, this means only more ways to break records.

Q1gYw.jpg

Cathedral Level 2 cleared, but no Butcher found. Down to Level 3 we go.

U49v3.jpg

Here we find some cultists trying to turn a man into an undead. We save him and soon regret it, as he has the douchest voice I ever heard.

guG2y.jpg
Who are you?
9iPfQ.jpg
You will know soon enough. Help me find my gear. I will reward you well.

B2nmj.jpg

He then starts following me and does some small talk as we walk around killing stuff.

9iPfQ.jpg
Tell me, what brought you to this infernal place?
guG2y.jpg
I go to face the Skeleton King.
9iPfQ.jpg
As do I.

Y3FBM.jpg

We them find his gear on a chest, besides a teleporter. He equips it, tells us his name and sounds like and even bigger douche. Also, his pic changes, A LOT.

XZARN.jpg
I am Kormac, warrior of the Templar Order. If it’s the skeleton King you seek, then you will have to fight your way past Jondar. There is no reason we should hunt alone.
ghost.gif
I can think of some…
guG2y.jpg
No, there is not.
ghost.gif
Jerk.

4XUoS.jpg

We reach a stair blocked by some ordinary, non-magical wooden spikes.

XZARN.jpg
Black magic bars our way… but the will of a templar is stronger.

Clearly he is LARPing more than me. And so, Mr. Heroic Templar breaks the wooden spikes deadly black magic obstacle and we proceed.

ko0sj.jpg

We them face Jondar, the Necromancer Betrayer. I find weird this guy here, as I have no idea of who he is. I figured out he was a douche fellow templar, but then “evil” corrupted him and he betrayed Kormac, but that’s it. Everything else in the game is nicely introduced by conversations, journals and lore… here Kormac just says we need to kill him and we do it.

And besides being a unique enemy, Jondar is weak and dull. He summons some weak skeletons and them stands still, while Kormac stabs him to death. After being defeated, Jondar says he was being controlled by the Coven’s (who?), as ask for forgiveness.

XZARN.jpg
Betrayal can never be forgiven.

And Kormac kills him. Jerk.

XZARN.jpg
Thank you for your aid. I will go with you on your hunt for the Skeleton King, but there is one condition.
ghost.gif
I’m still waiting for the ‘great reward’ you promised, but go ahead.
XZARN.jpg
If I find the sacred tomes of my order, they are mine.
ghost.gif
No, stay away from my phat lewt!
guG2y.jpg
Agreed.
ghost.gif
Hate you both.
XZARN.jpg
Then onwards we go to fight the Skeleton King.

sKJ79.jpg

Kormac’s quest completed, we can have him join us. Fuck no! We also are Lv 9 now, and learned Firebats (I see what you did there Blizzard). Fuck yeah!

ZtKEn.jpg

It’s one of my favorite Witch-Doctor skills, and also a very powerful one. This calls for a town portal!

XURtV.jpg

We switch the Hex skill for Firebats, and also find Kormac lying around. Much like D2 followers, you can equip him, but some of his slots only open up as he levels up. He also has a tiny little skill tree, so you can make him a Healer or a Tank, to help you raid the Lich Skeleton King.

JJGLR.jpg

Back to the Cathedral, we find the stairs out of this small floor, but not the Butcher.

Next time, we venture into the biggest map of the Beta, and face the Skeleton King, in the final update of this LP!

curry

Arcane
So Blizzard didn't go pop-a-mole and the followers die permanently, right?

edit: I'm so disappointed that the levels are just long-ass corridors when they got Leonard Boyarsky doing the design. :decline:

covr

Prophet
Patron
Great LP. Seems like D3 is not so bad as I was thinking. I kind of... wanna play that.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
PART 9 – The Skeleton King!

And it begins, the final part of my Diablo III Beta LP!

psARV.jpg

We show off our new Firebats Skill on these Harvesters. Harvesters are just like the Grotesques, but when they die & explode, little Imps come out instead of the vermin. That actually makes them easier IMHO, as Imps are annoying, but those vermin used rape us.

sSADz.jpg

We stumble on a group of Tomb Guardians doing a sort of ritual, which summons tons of skeletons. And a group of electric enchanted Skeleton Archers are approaching from the right…this will get ugly.

4MfgD.jpg

And ugly it gets. As lightning fills the screen, we are forced to drink our second potion in this LP. I blame it on having to take screenshots while fighting. :roll:

ck074.jpg

There are many ambushes and even some blockades with a group Skeletal Archers behind cover and a Tomb Guardian raising Skeletons at the front. Some of these skeletons come with shields, which can block one or two melee hits or Poison Darts, but are not a match for our glorious Firebats!

IRMNx.jpg

As you can see, this level is HUGE. Other levels may be only a corridor, but this shows that it's possible to have big & complex dungeons in Diablo III. I was going to find the exit and them explore everything, but man I got lost! Usually this floor’s exit is on the middle, but my meta-gaming skill check failed as I kept running into dead-ends.

Great dungeon overall, my only complaint is that the dungeons are made by 'blocks', and as you can see, this one had 3 obvious copy & paste blocks. Blizzard could at least rotate them or something.

nSYmL.jpg

We enter the Royal Crypts and soon find King Leoric's sword, and the remaining Lachdanan's Journals I will post all them together here, so lore fags can enjoy and other people just skip the wall of italic text:

My name is Lachdanan, and I am cursed. Once the captain of King Leoric's army, I lived only to honor my land and my king. No man has a greater love for his king than I had for mine--even as I drove my blade through his dark and corrupted heart.

It was Lazarus--of that I am certain. He alone had the king's ear and whispered dark and evil magics into it, instilling the notion of an imminent attack by Westmarch. Afraid to speak against the archbishop, the councilors nodded their empty heads in agreement and sent us off to die.

When we returned from our horrific defeat in Westmarch, my beloved king lost all pretense of sanity. He seethed with rage, spitting curses upon us as traitors. With great sorrow, I ran him through.

I will forever live in anguish for my last attempt to honor my king. As we lay him to rest in his burial chamber, he manifested as a hideous skeletal demon. Gorash and my other knights were overcome at once, but I fought on.

And now I wander, cursed by my once beloved king. Evil gnaws at my bones and I cannot risk putting my beloved Tristram in danger should I fail to contain that which tears at me. I must venture down into the labyrinth to die alone.

Lore-fags fans of Diablo I must be in awe now. :)

pyVAK.jpg

Clicking on the sword triggers an flashback of the day King Leoric was killed by his loyal knight Lachdanan. But enough of lore, the next room has the Skeleton King himself waiting for us.

jPNjB.jpg

Again that "warmth of life" issue, Leoric? Didn't we solve those 15 years ago?

9DTge.jpg

He activates the Pillars in the room and vanishes, the coward. The pillars start to generate Skeleton warriors and archers at an insane rate. The arrows here do heavy damage, so we have to keep moving at all times while we avoid the warriors and attack the Pillars. Is a fun fight, and a little challenging too, although the skeleton warriors drop a lot of health orbs.

Pillars gone, we activate a teleporter and a '+25% attack speed' shrine on the way, and then open the huge door leading to the Skeleton King's Throne!

Wldh6.jpg

He taunts us, break the staircase behind him and them vanish again, the coward.

bwyDB.jpg

We go to the right and reach a locked gate. An army of Returned, a stronger type of skeletons appears, but they are quickly defeated. The gate opens and we reach the throne.

kndbP.jpg

Here lies the Skeleton King's dead body. We place the crown on his head, his spirit is bound back to the corpse and the fight begins.

nm6Wh.jpg

The Skeleton King only has 2 attacks: A regular attack with his big ass mace; and one he teleports right in front of Sulik and does 3 mace strikes. He hits hard, for ~20% of my HP each hit. He also sometimes teleport away and summons a group of Returneds. This is a bad move for him, as the returneds drop health orbs, making the fight easier.

One thing to say is that he has A LOT of hit points, way more than any other enemy. Emptying my whole mana bar on him with the Firebats only take ~25% of his health, so this takes a while.

dY4Pd.jpg

But we emerge victorious! Phat lewt drops, including a (shitty) rare item, we Level up, unlock our first Passive Skill slot, and the Diablo III Beta ends! Congratulations Codex!

Note that this isn't even the end of Act 1, which makes me believe Diablo III will be longer than the previous ones.

cGOPj.jpg

Here are our final stats, after 2 hours and 10 minutes playing (and 10 hours writing this LP).

As for final thoughts, I enjoyed Diablo III a lot. Sure, it has some popamole stuff, like the always-online bullshit, health orbs and quest markers, but is all minor stuff. The improvements stands out more, such as better dungeons, no potion spamming, great focus on lore, lots of skills and a better combat system, where the average player will actually use 4-5 skills in a fight, instead of just spaming the same one over and over.

I especialy enjoyed how DIII lore is made to please DI fans. You may think "lack of ideas", but it's just the first big Boss of the game, and not even an Act Boss, so IMHO it's more of an homage really.

Anyway, hope you all enjoyed my first LP and thanks for reading!

Gondolin

Arcane
Thanks for playing this for us. As others have said, the game looks better than expected. Still, I won't play it. Diablo I & II were quite enough for me back in the day. Now I find this kind of game too boring to play.

XenomorphII

Prophet
I enjoyed this, and the game doesn't look at bad as I thought it would. I hope you will give us the LP of the full version.

wait, Leoric had his throne and courtroom beneath the Cathedral?

wat

Well it would be the easiest part of Tristram to defend.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Thank you guys, was very fun to do a LP, and wise to start with a short one. All the weird LARPing ideas I had went down the drain, and I certainly did not choose a good time to post this LP, with X-Mas, New Year Eve and the Codex forum change happening all together, but I enjoyed anyway and hope others did too.
:love:

wait, Leoric had his throne and courtroom beneath the Cathedral?

wat
I think it's more of a Royal Crypt, that for some reason has a Throne inside, but it's true that there is no other place in Tristam where a King and his court could have lived...

CappenVarra

phase-based phantasmist
Patron
Congratulations on your first LP :salute:

My first impression about D1 lore nod was not so good and I wanted to do a cranky rant about leaving the past unmolested blah blah... But nah, D1 text / manual probably seemed much better written because I was younger then.

DaveO

Erudite
I'll be the first to dub this game Tristram Quest.

PrzeSzkoda

Augur
Project: Eternity
Good LP. I will probably waste some time on Diablo 3 once it's released, playing with my bro. Looks like a nice enough timesink, like the first two.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
And only 3 pages?

:jealous:
It was short, but I would have prefered to have more pages; 9 updates in 3 pages makes scrolling a pain...with the codex forums down and holiday season, people didn't post much, so I just posted everything fast to make room for future plans. Maybe I'll do a Divine Divinity or Beyond Divinity LP, since the Codex doesn't have neither...

Hirato

Purse-Owner
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Reading through this makes me want to reinstall Din's curse...
I wonder if I still have my keys somewhere...

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Having the playground reset to 25 posts per page isn't helping either. I wouldn't mind actually, except the ignore function is still borked. Though I have to admit, writing/editing the LP is a lot easier with the built in WYSIWYG editor.

Heresiarch

Prophet
Great LP! And the game itself looks great, now we only need to wait for 2 more years to actually play it.

The colour palette seems very different from DI and DII though, seems DIII environment and lighting have a more blue-ish cue compared to DI and DII's black-ish. In fact it looks way too much like WoW or Torchlight for my taste...hope the actual game in action looks different than the screenshots.

Thanks for doing this, and good job. I was looking at the screenshots and the text was bothering me a bit. Then I figured out what it was: the text is not all in the classic Diablo font. I'm sure Blizzard will cite some lame excuse like, there is too much information, it would be difficult to read, but it just looks so weird to me.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom