Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Lands of Lore 1+2 at GOG

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
<p>Dear RPG Codex reader,</p>
<p> </p>
<p>if you desire your bitching about the decline and consolefaggotrification of your beloved genre to be grounded not in pure speculation but in actual experience, be sure to grab a copy of <a href="http://af.gog.com/en/gamecard/lands_of_lore_1_2/?as=1649904300">Lands of Lore 1&2</a> from GOG, preferably using our affiliate link which should be somewhere in the corner of the page; I think <a href="http://af.gog.com/en/gamecard/lands_of_lore_1_2/?as=1649904300">this</a> is also a good link. Some have said that already in 1993 these games weren't far from today's thwack-a-mole standard, but maybe you'll dare and prove them wrong?</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Best regards,</p>
<p> </p>
<p>E.</p>

Last edited by a moderator:

Lightknight

Liturgist
Fuck this.
LOL2 is not ideally supported by dosbox, so comfortable playing is not expected. And LOL1 is now supported by scummvm, so who needs gog version at this point. Nuff said.

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
Yup, wouldn't want to pay for something, especially at 6 whole dollars! Herp. Actually, I'm very happy they added Lands of Lore 1, I really enjoyed that game and it should be required playing.

However, LOL2... that was a confusing trainwreck that I had the displeasure of finishing... what a pile. Worth the $6 for the first one, try the second, but ultimately pass it up. Just checked, LOL2 came out at the same year that Westwood released "Blade Runner" and the difference between the two is night and day. Blade Runner, for all its faults was pretty damn impressive for the time.

Lands of Lore 2 was like two different games: a 3d engine with low-res flat sprites for enemies and npcs. Also, the second half is almost barren while the first half is pretty well done.

TripleA

Novice
Lightknight said:
Fuck this.
LOL2 is not ideally supported by dosbox, so comfortable playing is not expected. And LOL1 is now supported by scummvm, so who needs gog version at this point. Nuff said.

I'm not an expert in these matters, exactly, but I'd hazard a guess and say someone who does not already own the games...? Though I may be wrong.

Bruticis

Lightknight said:
Fuck this.
Oh look, a dipshit in a GOG thread, how quaint.

Grim Monk

Arcane
Lightknight said:
LOL1 is now supported by scummvm, so who needs gog version at this point. Nuff said.

What are the benefits of running it on ScummVM vs DOSBox?

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Nice. I like the games despite their flaws. Not terribly interested in buying since I have legal versions of both, but I might actually do it if they've got LOL2 working in D3D mode without any of the problems that crop up on anything newer than XP SP1. I'll keep an eye on the GOG forums and comments.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Grim Monk said:
Lightknight said:
LOL1 is now supported by scummvm, so who needs gog version at this point. Nuff said.

What are the benefits of running it on ScummVM vs DOSBox?

Let me check

git pull ; git whatchanged | grep LOL

Code:
    KYRA: Fix bug #3437647 "LOL: Unexpected missing save file".
    KYRA: (LOL) minor fix, cleanup and renaming
    LOL: add support for Russian CD-ROM version
    LOL: add support for Russian floppy version
    LOL: fix bug reported on forum
    LOL: fix typo
    LOL: add another detection entry for Italian fan translation
    LOL: update kyra.dat for italian fan translation
    LOL: fix so-called bug #3313950
    LOL: cleanup
    LOL: changed workaround for fireball bug
    KYRA/LOL: add comments for last commit
    KYRA/LOL: fixed hand item cursor bug
    LOL: fixed minor text displayer bug
    LOL: fixed bug #3099321
    LOL: workaround for bug #3098935
    (Users will get AdLib music at default unless they have specified a MIDI device in the launcher (MT-32 for KYRA, GM for HOF and LOL.)
    LOL: - fix invalid mem access
    - also extend LordHoto's recent item code changes to LOL
    LOL: fix possible regressions
    (very noticeable in LOL PC-98)
    KYRA2/LOL PC-98: fix sfx rate
    LOL FLOPPY: silence pointless warnings in character selection
    LOL: Add md5 for another English floppy version
    LOL: added english floppy version
    LOL: fixed possible crash in environmental sfx code
    LOL: Minor adjustment to latest generateOverlay changes.
    LOL: fixed script bug in castle cimmeria that would cause out of bounds mem access (should fix bug #2948109)
    LOL: fixed handling of invalid monster attack sfx in the Urbish mines (should fix bug no #2945950)
    LOL: save/load menu speed up
    LOL: minor key map fix
    LOL: cleanup last commit
    LOL: fixed spell array size
    LOL: fixed debug message
    LOL: - added workaround for portrait speech animations which would sometimes "freeze"
    LOL: fixed minor bug in lamp code
    LOL: fixed minor bug in lamp code
    LOL: removed unused variable
    LOL: fixed text fading
    LOL: fixed regression
    LOL: some cleanup for recent code changes
    LOL: fixed regression
    LOL: fix compilation when the LOL engine is disabled
    LOL: moved TIM animation code into a separate class
    LOL: add missing data for PC98 version to kyra.dat
    LOL/Floppy: fixed crash
    LOL: completed support for floppy installer files
    LOL: add support for pc speaker sfx
    LOL: fixed minor glitch in the ending sequence
    LOL/PC-98: fixed regression (missing static data for pc98 version)
    LOL: - cleanup
    LOL: - fixed transparency tables in PC-98 16 color version
    LOL: fixed bug in spell casting code
    LOL: fixed minor regression
    LOL/PC-98: fixed glitch in text displayer
    LOL/PC-98: match vaelan's cube behaviour with original code
    Move LOL sub engine enabled check inside the KYRA check.
    LOL: - added some updateInputs to spell animation code
    LOL: this should fix a valgrind warning
    LOL: this (hopefully) fixes a minor glitch that might occur when using the freeze spell
    LOL/PC-98: fixed outro
    LOL/PC-98: fix decoration shape drawing
    LOL/PC-98: cleanup
    LOL/PC-98: fix outro music
    LOL/PC-98: fix king richard healing sequence
    LOL/PC-98: implemented drawing code for teleporters
    LOL/PC-98: fixed minor glitch in wsa code
    LOL/PC-98: fixed two minor bugs
    LOL/PC-98: fixed last commit
    LOL/PC-98: fixed monster drawing bug (some wrong pixels)
    LOL/PC-98: fixed minor bugs in text displayer
    LOL/PC-98: fixed lightning spell
    LOLLOL/PC-98: fixed add-spell-to-scroll animation
    LOLLOL/PC-98: fixed ghorka swamp freeze mode
    LOL/PC-98: fixed freeze spell
    KYRA/LOL: - get rid of ascii/sjis detection which could cause problems when typing savegame names
    LOL/PC-98: fixed save menu
    LOL/PC-98: some more work on sjis font support for the text displayer
    LOL: fixed minor bugs in text displayer
    LOL/PC-98: add keyboard support for menus
    LOL/PC-98: add keyboard support
    LOL/PC-98: fixed automap
    LOL/PC-98: fixed death menu, live/magic bar colors and money box
    LOL/PC-98: - some more fixes for level graphics (shapes are still not quite right)
    LOL/PC-98: - fixed TIM dialogue button text colors
    LOL/PC-98: - fix spell effect colors
    LOL/PC-98: fix menu colors
    LOL/PC-98: more fixes for text displayer and character inventory
    LOL/PC-98: start fixing sequences (like broken arms inn and king richard getting poisoned)
    LOL/PC-98: fixed gui colors (money stash, live and magic bars, scroll)
    LOL/PC-98: fixed dialoge box sizes
    LOL/PC-98: start fixing text displayer
    LOL/PC-98: start fixing color issues (still not working correctly though)
    LOL/PC-98: fixed block drawing (colors are still wrong)
    LOL/PC-98: fix some asserts
    LOL: fix warning/error
    LOL: start on pc98 support (still messed up and not working though)
    LOL: cleanup (replaced some uint8 arrays with new palette objects)
    LOL/Floppy: fix king richard healing sequence
    LOL/Floppy: fixed outro
    LOL: fix some regressions
    LOL/Floppy: fixed size of menu boxes

Not much. But hey, now scummvm can run sierra games with speech and text (that some didn't allow all because of a suggestion by yours truly).

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
They don't have the source. They reimplemented the engine because the engine was similar to KYRA (legend of kyrandia) that they reversed. Most of the bugs are theirs, not using the data correctly.

Though some could be original data problems that also occur in the original.

Generally, once you give it enough time and testing, scummvm game versions are much better (less buggy and portable, and faster) though.

A similar process is occurring with arx fatalis if you care (only they did get the source).

TripleA

Novice
Clockwork Knight said:
Jaesun said:
The old ones are returning....

Some are just arriving...sort of.

:smug:

Yeah.

I came all the way from 2007 to say this.
Well, that, really, to be technically accurate.
This I'm saying to be clear just because I'm already here.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
I missed this back in the day because there was no vastly superior Amiga Version.

I shall have to pick this up.

Repressed Homosexual
Still no 1.4 version for Ubuntu. They're always so slow with packages. Firefox is still at version 7.

Anyway I've started playing 1 on Dosbox, I take it I could just move my save file if I want to play with ScummVM later?

I only played part of LOL2 back when it was released, I remember enjoying it a lot. These games are kinda like Dungeon Master meets King's Quest.

It doesn't look like it's possible to re-map the keyboard controls, I want to use WASD, and QE to turn left and right. I'm not even able to turn without having to resort to the mouse.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
I turn using the numeric keypad. But it's a bit retarded since I have to do it using my left hand (since the right one is employed on the mouse).

Currently being raped in Draracle Cave

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Sceptic said:
Nice. I like the games despite their flaws. Not terribly interested in buying since I have legal versions of both, but I might actually do it if they've got LOL2 working in D3D mode without any of the problems that crop up on anything newer than XP SP1. I'll keep an eye on the GOG forums and comments.

GOG LOL2 only runs in software which is pretty shit. At the very least they could have made D3D run. At least like this it installs easily. LOL2 was a bitch to get to install even in DOS for me with the installer freezing half the time. I too would like to play the thing in D3D mode properly. As it is I either have to use various wrappers in DOSBox, none of which is fully satisfactory(water effect are crap on one, textures are missing on another). Maybe the windows version would work if I had a suitably old PC and videocard combo to run Win95/98 but don't have one at hand.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
commie said:
GOG LOL2 only runs in software which is pretty shit.
Bleh, not gonna bother. From reading comments looks like it's the DOS version. I can see why they did this though; Windows version is completely fucked on modern systems. Some scripts don't trigger sometimes (eg getting the thief password in Huline village), some locations cannot be entered (Kityara's), some videos play so choppy you can't watch them.... and I've got various combinations of these problems depending on what configuration I use. Shame GOG didn't fix this though.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom