Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

When discussing RPGs, why are the new gamers excluded?

Pablosdog

Prophet
It's like with any medium. You can't help but feel slightly miffed when some young ragamuffin steps and declares that his favorite game is YOUR favorite game(I mean you were there when it all began right?) It's just a feeling though, it's not a rational one. It just leaves you slightly perturbed.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
Shannow said:
That's why you are considered a moron for the most part. :thumbsup:

Yup, quote me where I said EVERY codexer treats newfags with disregard because they think they possibly couldn't like old games. Go on, I'm waiting. :M

sser

Arcane
Developer
Well, new gamers are playing games that have a whole different set of mechanics. It can be difficult to have a really nice discussion on what could be a good game if all the other guy knows is cover-shooting, precise quest trackers, useless stats, instant teleportation, etc. I still think there are a number of games out there that use old-school mechanics to great success, but there is nothing with the production value of Oblivion/Mass Effect. I thought Dragon Age would be it (gasp), but it scaled everything back in its sequel (no, I don't consider them the same). I think Demons' Souls and Risen give a good fight, though.

Destroid

Arcane
A funny thing about new gamers (say someone who started playing video games when the 360 came out) is that they would have never seen graphics technology change, outside of tech demos and promo videos.

DragoFireheart

Destroid said:
A funny thing about new gamers (say someone who started playing video games when the 360 came out) is that they would have never seen graphics technology change, outside of tech demos and promo videos.

The current gen has been relatively stagnant compared to previous gens. Shouldn't we have a new system with graphical improvements by now? The 360 came out in 2005, which means it's been 6 years since it was released.

NA:
The NES came out in 1985.
The SNES came out in 1991.
The N64 came out in 1996.
The Gamecube came out in 2001.

Looking at previous patterns of systems being released, this gen should be ending very soon if not by next year. Yet, it doesn't seem like it is going to any time soon.

The 360 and PS3 are still operating at a loss in the hardware department, so developing a new system right now would probably sink them. The Wii, on the other hand, was pretty far behind tech wise, so I think they are developing a new system. Plus, graphically, there isn't such a big jump to make for consoles right now (while PC is superior, to an untrained eye maybe not noticeably so), they just have no reason to.

DragoFireheart

Flying Spaghetti Monster said:
The 360 and PS3 are still operating at a loss in the hardware department, so developing a new system right now would probably sink them.

-But that isn't what matters to them due to the loyalists they get from games, right?

The Wii, on the other hand, was pretty far behind tech wise, so I think they are developing a new system. Plus, graphically, there isn't such a big jump to make for consoles right now (while PC is superior, to an untrained eye maybe not noticeably so), they just have no reason to.

-So does that mean developers may be forced at some point to put out a better product (game design wise) due to the system limitations?

DragoFireheart

KalosKagathos said:
I think some people ITT missed the Wii U announcement.

I heard about the Wii U. I was more referring to ALL of the systems rather than just Nintendo who seems to be right on schedule. You have to remember that the Wii was a generation behind in graphics so it could pursue a different market and not compete with PS3/Xbox360. The Wii is nothing more than a Gamecube with a upgraded version of this to play games:

c02d8384f11244618665.jpg

Wii U... new Nintendo system I take it? Okay, then my point still stands. The 360 and PS3 still have no reason to come out with a new system.

Destroid

Arcane
DragoFireheart said:
Destroid said:

The current gen has been relatively stagnant compared to previous gens. Shouldn't we have a new system with graphical improvements by now? The 360 came out in 2005, which means it's been 6 years since it was released.

NA:
The NES came out in 1985.
The SNES came out in 1991.
The N64 came out in 1996.
The Gamecube came out in 2001.

Looking at previous patterns of systems being released, this gen should be ending very soon if not by next year. Yet, it doesn't seem like it is going to any time soon.

And consider the cracking pace that graphics cards had:

98 - Voodoo2
99 - Voodoo3/TNT2/Geforce 256
2001 - Geforce 3
2002 - Radeon 9800
2004 - x800
2006 - Geforce 8800

And from there the pace really slowed. By no means a comprehensive list, but I owned most of those cards and the others were notable performance steps. Even buying the very top end would give you big problems on new games after two years, during this period.

DragoFireheart

Destroid said:
And consider the cracking pace that graphics cards had:

98 - Voodoo2
99 - Voodoo3/TNT2/Geforce 256
2001 - Geforce 3
2002 - Radeon 9800
2004 - x800
2006 - Geforce 8800

And from there the pace really slowed. By no means a comprehensive list, but I owned most of those cards and the others were notable performance steps. Even buying the very top end would give you big problems on new games after two years, during this period.

Is the slower pace at which graphic cards/updates being released a positive thing for gaming?

Falkner

Thread Decliner
Patron
Wasteland 2
Well, where could you still go with graphics? Do we need complete photo realism?
If the developers have to focus more on the art design, I definitely welcome the slower pace. Even if it doesn't get rid of all the other problems of games nowadays.

Destroid

Arcane
It seems completely inconsequential because devs don't usefully push the visuals due to multiplatform, Crysis was the last time someone tried did that and they went multiplatform right after. I find it pretty hilarious when I see comments on youtube complaining that the graphics to an xbox game sequel are no better than they were in the first title, despite the two having to run on identical hardware.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom