Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Highbrow games?

baronjohn

Cipher
Help me Codex - suggest to me some highbrow games. I can't remember many... The Last Express, Pathologic, possibly Arcanum and perhaps the Ultima games. Surely there's more? I want games with a touch of class. You know what I mean? You know what I mean!

I definitely don't mean Fallout (too punk), or PST (too fantasy).

Bonus points if the setting is historical and extra bonus points if the setting is either Victorian or the classical world. Fantastical elements are ok too, as long as it's classy.

Lesifoere

Liturgist
The Void, of course? Same devs as Pathologic, only better translated this time.

Would you consider Nikopol classy? If so, Nikopol: Secrets of the Immortals. Also throw in, I dunno, The Path or something.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
The Void and possibly Winter Voices if you can stomach the terrible combat. Have a look at my unfinished LP to get a taste of what the game is like.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Sword of the samurai (perfectly executed minimalist style, faithful to the aesthetics and customs of the era). Still fun.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Floor 13 (well, it is politically aware: you are the head of a British black ops group, reacting to all the scandals).

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Hidden agenda (rule a fictional south american country in the height of the cold war and try not to be deposed)

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Uplink (too cyberpunk?)

Thief 1 (and the dark mod)

Celtic tales - balor of the evil eye

Darklands

Fool's Errand

King of Chicago (?)

Azrael's Tear

Conquest of the Longbow

Gabriel Knight 1 (well, maybe not "class")

Cosmology of Kyoto

Dreamweb

KGB

Laura Bow 1

Rome AD92 (?)

syndicate (?)

Heimdall 2 (?)

Moonstone - A hard Days Knight (troll, but it did have a distinctive atmosfere)

Prince of Persia 1 (?)

I think i'm done, the last ones weren't of the general feel you want.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
How are Celtic Tales in any way highbrow? :? I mean, it's probably one of my top 5 favourite games ever but there's nothing highbrow about it, not that I can think of. Or am I missing something?

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Crooked Bee said:
How are Celtic Tales in any way highbrow? :? I mean, it's probably one of my top 5 favourite games ever but there's nothing highbrow about it, not that I can think of. Or am I missing something?

It's highbrow because it immerses you into the (brutal, warrior like, unusually unsexist) culture of the age (or a least a "idea" of the culture of the age), kind of like sword of the samurai.

I mean, i don't expect philosophy/history tracts in my games, so i kinda have to go with the setting when i want "highbrow".

Unusual, well depicted settings get creed with me (why Heimdall or Rome92AD, syndicate or even Prince of Persia - that has the innovative speedrun like gameplay going for it - is even mentioned).

Crooked Bee

Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Ah I see, I just assumed "highbrow" = deliberately "elitist", which Celtic Tales isn't while, say, The Last Express, Pathologic, and possibly Arcanum are.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
The last express didn't seem pretentious to me. Why did you feel this? Was it that the characters are stereotypes?

Haven't played pathologic or the void.

Crooked Bee

Patron
SCO said:
The last express didn't seem pretentious to me. Why did you feel this? Was it that the characters are stereotypes?

To me it was the overall "feel" I guess. The game just screamed, "I'm not for your average gamer! I aspire to something higher!" "Pretentious" isn't really the right word though, that's why I edited my above post and now it reads "deliberately elitist". :P The Celtic Tales was, well, just a game -- a great game, but it didn't feel like it was trying (too) hard to be "something different".

EDIT. Meh. I guess I just dislike the whole video-games-as-art approach.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Just watching the introduction again....

And Hollllly shit what a irritating noise when he opens his evil eye.

Definitely highbrow. Suffer for the art.

baronjohn

Cipher
Thanks guys, I've created a list and I'll be checking the games out. The political games seem especially interesting.

I don't think cyberpunk can be highbrow though. The whole genre is de facto juvenile fantasy.

7hm

Scholar
SCO said:
Floor 13 (well, it is politically aware: you are the head of a British black ops group, reacting to all the scandals).

I love this game.

Another great game like this (kind of) is Hidden Agenda.

http://www.abandonia.com/en/games/138/H ... genda.html

The game that immediately came to mind when you said "highbrow" was Braid. Though to be fair that one may fall under "pretentious".

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
7hm said:
SCO said:

I love this game.

thoth5sq.jpg

:thumbsup:

Jaqen

Novice
Moving away from PC Games - did any consoles (even retro) manage to pull off any decent 'highbrow' stuff?

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Jaqen said:
Moving away from PC Games - did any consoles (even retro) manage to pull off any decent 'highbrow' stuff?

Only one i'm aware is Shadow of the Colossus, and it wasn't highbrow (just unusual for eschewing the usual feedback mechanism of the genre and only allowing you to do those "evil" hunts to progress). I saw the same thing in ultima 8 and countless others (not that it encourages reflection, it never does). It is kind of similar to Dreamweb there above, but Dreamweb has another layer if you read the manual.

You might consider games like Silent Hill highbrow (obscured story), depending on your requirements.

So, no, i don't think so.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
What's missing in this thread is Serious_Business calling us faggots setting us all straight.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom