Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate mods - I need help!

panzertoter

Arcane
Ok, i know that all the mods need proper order of installation. But, i'm lost. I've searched ALL THE INTERNET, and found nothing really useful.

The problem is - i want to play BG1 and BG2 (with expansions) and the BGT - WeiDU. But i don't know when to install the other mods: like The Big World, BG UB and so on.

So, dear Codexians, can you help me? If you could just post the proper order of installation of EVERYTHING that is compatible with BGT - WeiDU - i would be very happy. And making someone happy is just one more step to heaven!

(i couldn't find a topic like this, so if one exists - i'm sorry then. And for my terrible english langugage skill too)

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Don't use the Big Picture mega mod or whatever they're calling it now, it's a collection of mods that range from terribly shitty to mediocre.

panzertoter

Arcane
Don't use the Big Picture mega mod or whatever they're calling it now, it's a collection of mods that range from terribly shitty to mediocre.

Ok, maybe, but i want to try by myself. And if they are so bad, why do they still exist being under constant development?

The best way to satisfy your BG needs is to install DA:O and play that game instead.

facepalm.jpg

Thank you for this useful (i hope so) links, will check them out.

ChristofferC

Magister
essentially:

ascension
fixpack
bgt
bgt mods
bg2 mods
stratagems
tweakpack
widescreen mod

I use a variation on this order:

official patches
ascension
fixpack
bgt
bg1npc
bg1ub
bgttweak
banter pack
spell revisions
scs for bg1
unfinished business
stratagems for bg2
bg2 tweaks
level 1 npcs
widescreen mod

Just install in the same order as in the Big World Project manual and you should be fine.

EDIT: Big World Project, not Big Picture

panzertoter

Arcane
The Big World Setup was downloading and installing stuff almost for 7 hours! I chose only mods 'recommended' by this program and i'm curious how long it would take if i'd choose the 'expert' mod pack (with mods introducing some pointed ears faggotry in DA:O style i suppose) or something like that... Nevermind. Everything works great, so my big "thank you!" goes to Jaqen and Overweight Manatee.

Jaqen

Novice
panzertoter said:
The Big World Setup was downloading and installing stuff almost for 7 hours! I chose only mods 'recommended' by this program and i'm curious how long it would take if i'd choose the 'expert' mod pack (with mods introducing some pointed ears faggotry in DA:O style i suppose) or something like that... Nevermind. Everything works great, so my big "thank you!" goes to Jaqen and Overweight Manatee.

No probs!

Have a good time playing now!

I hope you chose the option that let you review which mods were installed, because 'recommended' will probably install at least a handle of mods that you will find horrible. May or may not be worth doing the entire installation over again, though it would be much shorter since you would skip the download part.

panzertoter

Arcane
Everything installed seems to be ok, i didn't notice any stupidity (obvious Baldur's Gate stupidity is still there). New NPCs and their voices are terrible, sometimes i get attacked by a pack of 8 vampiric wolves east of Beregost and there is no XP for lockpicking and learning new spells (which i think is not so bad at all).

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
We should have a stickied thread about BG mods in here. This question in different configurations appears every now and then....

panzertoter

Arcane
BGT Big World is a terrible mistake. Mods making Imoen more stupid and annoying than in vanilla (yes, this can be done!), giving swords +3 in the beginnig of the game, making every encounter very random (i.e. pack consisting 1 gnoll, 2 skeletons, 2 wolves and 4 gibberlings - no fucking sense!). Ok, but beyond overall indie-mod-stupidity, it allowed me to play. For some time. I coudn't go to Larswood, E of Larswood and all the areas north of FA Inn because of immediate crash.

So, i'm fucked.

And thinking of return to BGtutu.

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
CrimHead said:
This thread.

Again.

Don't know about anyone else, but this thread is pretty handy. Thanks, I played all the BG's, but never played ToB. A friend and I were thinking of playing BG again.

turrican

Educated
If you somewhat remember the plot and NPCs from BG1, is there any reason to play it again for a save game transfer into BG2?

I played BG1 years ago and remember (BG1 spoilers ahead)
the Bhaalspawn plot with the half-brother antagonist and him manipulating the Iron Throne. Also remember some annoying cave/mine level relatively early on.

Are there any items/spells/unique equipment from BG1 and the expansion that are worth another play-through?

It is pretty cool to transfer characters in Realms of Arkadia from Blade of Destiny to Star Trail, but some of the unique items do not make it. How does that work in BG1 -> BG2 and is it worth it?

dolio

Scholar
You lose all your items on import to BG2, I believe.

However, if you use all the stat increase manuals on your main character, you can potentially have better stats than are possible to get via generating a character in BG2 (using them on anyone else won't matter, of course).

On the other hand, you can use the console to give yourself the manuals in BG2 if you actually care about that.

Tycn

Savant
Playing BG1 will get you burned out on BG2 while having less fun than playing BG2. Unless you really like the low level combat I wouldn't recommend doing it.

There are a handful of items which, if you carry them from BG1->BG2, will be found in the starter dungeon in place of other BG2 items. Nothing major though. The Pantaloons carry over for a minor easter egg in BG2 TOB if you get all 3 of them, if its a big deal just console the items in and save yourself the trouble.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom