Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Profound games?

Topher

Cipher
DriacKin said:
Volourn said:
There are none. Not even PST, which I like, qualifies.

Sorry, but the truth does hurteth the Codex.
I agree with the princess.
No video game has ever come close to being profound, and its silly to suggest otherwise.

Why? Can books and movies be profound? What can they do that games can't?

Black Cat

Magister
Planescape? Pathologic? The Void? I have no mouth and I must scream? LOL, you guys are newfags. Behold, and be enlightened...

THIS is profound.

:salute:

Mortmal

Arcane
Black Cat said:
Planescape? Pathologic? The Void? I have no mouth and I must scream? LOL, you guys are newfags. Behold, and be enlightened...

THIS is profound.

Salvation will not come from chinese indies.

CrimHead

Scholar
GAMES AREN'T ART

YEAH EVEN THOUGH I SPEND ALL MY TIME ON RPG CODEX

I READ SHAKESPEARE

AND ANALYZE IT TOO

AM I COOL YET

PLEASE PAY ATTENTION TO ME

Pathologic & The Void if you get past their fake arty side.
Also Majora Mask which really is one of the first game to really use the video game media: using time as an interactive device. But you have to get past the moronic Zelda setting.

For the time being, video games are usuallly designed by retards so don't expect too much. But then, there's a parallel with cinema: first projections were made in 1880 and cinematographic grammar was invented by Griffith in the 1910's. First video games were made in the 70s and 80s, grammar is being invented nowadays and sorry mate: it's popamole. Lol.

I'm now earning my life as a musician because I'm lazy but I remember going to Ubisoft HQ in Paris ten years ago with a great game design. I said to them: "Hey mates, I'll be fucking Godard, just give me 0.01% of your money", they said: "Wow, your idea is great but could you do a Rayman spin-off?".

To show you that I'm not full of shit, I'll share my great game design of the time. Now it's been done to death, well I was a precursor. I had designed an adventure game in which if you went to the north-east time and events would flow towards the future and if you went sw, time would flow backwards. There was no instruction so you had to guess it. I had designed a story but the way the events of the story were given to you depended on your geographic travels.

A book has a beginning, a middle and an end. So does a movie , a piece of music or a play. That's what deeply original with a video game: time can be interactive. I think that's the whole point.

Felix

Arcane
Black Cat said:

THIS is profound.

Journey to the west music ?

Also, go read a book, bro.

Jaqen

Novice
Thanks for replies guys,

Made a few notes of titles from this thread so will give them a go.

When i said 'games which are profound', I was referring to anything that offered a deeper and thought-provoking level experience then say 'oblivion/fallout 3' type games.
Gameplay/story/writing or anything considered.

KalosKagathos

Learned
Black Cat said:

THIS is profound.

And I thought corner juggles in Guilty Gear were ridiculous. Still, the cigarette win pose was pure, well, win.

Pablosdog

Prophet
A mind forever voyaging

*edit* oops already recommended. When I really think about it, the best stories usually come from books, so I guess it's a given that text-based games would generally have the best stories.

For me, music can have that effect. A movie like blade runner, which has an amazing score, captures the mood just as well as the visuals do. Helps that it's pretty much an homage to noir films too.

Adventure games really have the best stories, and a few titles like Beneath a Steel sky, The dig, and grim fandago I thought had really high caliber storytelling. When you think of the shit some of these hack fantasy writers write, it's really not hard to find comparable or much better storytelling in adventure titles.

ironyuri

Chess is profound, but then I don't imagine any of you are old school enough for that.

:smug:

spectre

Arcane
No it isnt its just tabletop playing tin soldiers faggotry reduced to its simplest form lolololo.

ironyuri

spectre said:
No it isnt its just tabletop playing tin soldiers faggotry reduced to its simplest form lolololo.

I play with wooden pieces. Tin is next-gen popamole consoletard trash.

ironyuri

StrangeCase said:
ironyuri said:
Chess is profound, but then I don't imagine any of you are old school enough for that.

:smug:

Gameplay-wise, sure. Thematically, no, unless you go full-bore philosopher, but then everything's profound, so it's kind of a moot point.

No.

Then you go full blown relativist if everything is profound, not philosopher. Next-gen post-structuralist tard.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom