Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Do you emulate?

Jaqen

Novice
Thanks for replies guys,

Seymour said:
I own a modded Xbox basically just for emulation and Ninja Gaiden Black. Anything up to 16bit and Neo Geo runs pretty much perfect, plus GBA and N64 with some hiccups. Make for a pretty handy setup.

Favorite games would make for quite a long list, but Ghouls n' Ghosts and the older Castlevanias (1 and 3 especially) would be pretty high there.

Do you do it that way because it is closer to the original 'feel'?

To the people who emulate on PC, how do you feel about using the keyboard as a controller?

mondblut said:
As far as I am concerned, Amiga is the only non-PC platform whose games are worth being emulated.

No Commodore 64/128? Decline of Mondblut.

In any case, I much prefer my complete original setups for Amiga and Commodore games. Much better than emulation.

monocle.jpg

Archibald

Arcane
In any case, I much prefer my complete original setups for Amiga and Commodore games. Much better than emulation.

Not everyone has enough space or money to have that shit around :(

Seymour

Liturgist
Jaqen said:
Do you do it that way because it is closer to the original 'feel'?

Partly, yeah - I like having a console plugged on the tv in the living room. But I'm not really the kind that turns graphic filters off and obsesses over the exact resolution to duplicate their old tv display, I mostly just find it a more practical setup (especially for multiplayer) capable of playing most consoles that interests me and also doubles as a media player (XBMC is pretty handy stuff).

For the odd Saturn game (Guardian Heroes or Dragon Force come to mind) I use a 360 controller in my pc, keyboard is a big no-no for me.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
I have Desemume, SNES emulator, two types of PCSX for Linux, one for XP (and using Wine), VBA, and compile my version of PCSX2. I also have Dolphin somewhere, but I heard about quality games for GC and WII only recently, and some are not translated yet into english. (Xenoblade is still Japan only.)

Big monitors and some PCSX games are pain in the eyes however. Surprisingly advanced filtering works better for SNES games, than for PCSX games.

Archibald

Arcane
I have Desemume, SNES emulator, two types of PCSX for Linux, one for XP (and using Wine), VBA, and compile my version of PCSX2. I also have Dolphin somewhere, but I heard about quality games for GC and WII only recently, and some are not translated yet into english. (Xenoblade is still Japan only.)

GC has quality games?

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Three to four depends if you are into FF.

To quote from pirate server:
Tales of Symphonia USA NGC RARE RPG
Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles USA GC RARE
Baten_Kaitos_Eternal_Wings_USA_NGC-FRACTURE
Baten Kaitos Origins USA NGC STINKYCUBE

Also
Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance
Eternal Darkness

ElectricOtter

Currently, I have Desmume, NO$GBA, ZSNES, ePSXe, PCSX2, and Fusion installed right now. I don't use them very often, but they are nice to have around. I used to have a whole bunch of other emulators for the sole purpose of experimenting with DOOM console ports, though.

made

Arcane
Blackadder said:
I'd have to disagree, my dear Sir.
Save states, no loading times, instant disk swapping, changing configs on the fly, endless RAM and a gfx card that I could have never afforded back in the day - it's pure emulation heaven. I have an A1200 set up in WInUAE and it feels just like the original but faster and without the annoyances.

AMIGA LIVES ON IN WINUAE!

Chateaubryan

Cipher
Emulating PC on my DS.

I'm playing Darklands, World of Xeen and History Line 14-18 while going to work. It's like almond oil on a suppository.

asper

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Blobert is again right.

I emulate c64 and Atari ST, mostly for demos.

Zsnes for super mario.

Not counting dosbox and scummvm.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom