Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Codexian Saga LP

Conkrete Knight

Educated
Jack said:
Why would the Raumen ally with us?
Usefullness

We are as usefull to them, as they are to us.

Through trade, we are practically in an symbiotic relationship.

And if they are the buffer, they would need the ally.
Not us.

Self-Ejected

Jack

█▓▒░
Patron
Insert Title Here
They are not united, and who will they believe?
The four eyed dwarves or the mighty codexians?
The Raumen are no longer one faction, they are many.
I can't see how we ever are going to convince them of the dwarf threat.

Conkrete Knight

Educated
Jack said:
If they will unite depends on the nature of the great muster.

Does it overwrite the loyality for the clans?

Is it a safeguard in Raumenei society to protect from external threat?

Whether or not they are going for the foureyes depends on wether or not the remaining clans are going to see the threat for their race and set their petty bickering aside.

The big question is: Is purchasing territory for the eventual goal of subjugating the entire Raumenei race a sufficient threat to declare a great muster?
Or is it just ruthless trading and hence considered business as usual?

Radech

Augur
I doubt occupation of the raumen will do us any good, loyalty to their clan trumphs any loyalties, we'll have an insectoid william wallace on our arses in no time, best to leave them as a buffer zone and a trading partner.

It's another vote for D - capture a hin'in spaceship and go on a bombing run in turanai territory - or C if that's the best we can do

ps. thanks Barbarian and Co. for an awesome read, think it's the first 10+ page thread I've ever read from start to finish :P

Self-Ejected

Jack

█▓▒░
Patron
Insert Title Here
Conkrete Knight said:
Jack said:
If they will unite depends on the nature of the great muster.

Does it overwrite the loyality for the clans?

Is it a safeguard in Raumenei society to protect from external threat?

Whether or not they are going for the foureyes depends on wether or not the remaining clans are going to see the threat for their race and set their petty bickering aside.

The big question is: Is purchasing territory for the eventual goal of subjugating the entire Raumenei race a sufficient threat to declare a great muster?
Or is it just ruthless trading and hence considered business as usual?
They don't need to know that.
Why would they believe us even if we told them?

taplonaplo

Scholar
Angthoron said:
We don't have four eyes?
We could have if the bug conspiracists didn't ban the gen mods back then. Interesting so to see everyone so afraid of the Illithid guys and rather risk to unite the Raumen us instead of the Ribbentrop pact. Remember how we went straight into war with the Turanei with no intel? Oh wait we didn't coz we didn't know enough to risk a conflict with a potentially more powerful empire...

Conkrete Knight

Educated
Jack said:
They don't need to know that.
Why would they believe us even if we told them?

Of course if we don't tell them they won't. They would hence not unite and hence become easy prey.

I read option C that way that we have real evidence.
I don't think that any councilor would be daft enough to even present this as a possible option if our only "evidence" is:"They told us, lol"

Heechee

Liturgist
taplonaplo said:
Interesting so to see everyone so afraid of the Illithid guys and rather risk to unite the Raumen us instead of the Ribbentrop pact.

This amazes me as well. Beware TEH MAGIC PSIONIC POWERZ.

Conkrete Knight

Educated
Jack said:
May I ask what evidence we have except "they told us, lol"?

Quite frankly my dear, I don't know.

but considering that c is:
Do you court disaster by inviting all the warring clans to witness evidence that clearly shows the Hin'in are acting to subjugate large swathes of Raumeni territory?

It would play out quite funny if we don't

"Now that all repressentatives of the Raumenei clans have gathered, let us present you that evidence of wich we spoke, that which so clearly shows the Hi'ins evil sheeming.
[inhales]
THEY FRIGGING TOLD US. lol."

Heechee

Liturgist
Surely they did not take over Raumeni by themself ages ago because they are so powerful .. the horror! Somehow they remind me of Darloks from MoO II, grimdark spies in robes weaving their intricate plans, but total pushovers in the end.

The Barbarian

Liturgist
It would play out quite funny if we don't

"Now that all repressentatives of the Raumenei clans have gathered, let us present you that evidence of wich we spoke, that which so clearly shows the Hi'ins evil sheeming.
[inhales]
THEY FRIGGING TOLD US. lol."

In a sense, yes. But if the Barbarian had to guess, he'd say that some form of electronic surveillance evidence of the meetings might be involved.

The Barbarian

Liturgist
Voting will end in a few hours, when the Barbarian does an official count.

Then, as yesterday, he will complete an update at work - which will lower his productivity, but raise happiness levels. Conan feels that OH&S will appreciate his contribution to a stable and harmonious workspace.

The Barbarian

Liturgist
Voting Results:

root - C
taplonaplo - B
TNO - B
juggernaut - B
Jack - B
lightbane - B
Jaedar -
wjw - C
Radisshu - C
Angthoron - C
heechee1 - B
Luan - C
Maria - C
laclongquan - C
Azira - C
treave - A
Conkrete Knight - C
praetor - B
obediah - C
GarfunkeL - B
Orgasm - C
madbringer - C
goglepapaz - C
Radech - C

Option A got one vote.

Option B got eight votes.

Option C got fourteen votes.

Jaedar nullified his previous vote, and therefore did not participate in this round.

C takes it by a bit of a landslide. Interesting.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
-BREAKING NEWS-

CODEXIA INVITES DISASTER!

Disaster to bring fruitcake and some punch.

laclongquan

Arcane
A majority of clans may unite into a great muster, but the client clans wont. So the 1st order of battle is to punch them in the nose->bigger civil war, the dissolution of the Confederacy.

At the end, whether they can destroy Hiin is irrevelant. Due to this legacy of distrust They will remain a fractious group of clans/planets. They will NEED us as a counterbalance for Hiin.

Codexia Suppremacy for the win!

The Barbarian

Liturgist
Disaster, Presiding

‘Tell us, human-clan, why should we believe you? Your evidence may have been doctored. Your designs on Raumen are no more honourable than the Hin’in, and we KNOW you ply a trade in falsehood. Look at the broken sons of the Three Tones; they believe in your lies wholeheartedly! You seek to destroy the independence we so dearly treasure!’ The representative of the Four Suns levelled the accusation in a machine monotone, courtesy of the translator. The Raumeni’s own chirping voice quivered with barely suppressed rage. The conference was now running into its third day – a hive of activity and conflict, wherein the human delegation struggled to make its case to the largest gathering of clan heads in years.

‘Elder Churrol, please Sir, calm yourself,’ the Codexian ambassador gave reply, ‘This petty mudslinging serves no purpose. We Codexians seek to preserve what the Hin’in would tear asunder. Survey the proof before you. See the Hin’in for what they are; manipulators, deceivers and destroyers of your sovereign right to rule your clans, as you will. How can you ignore the truth, when it sits before your very eyes? Elder, Codexia has long been the friend and ally of the Rau-‘

Another Four Suns Elder rose on its hind legs with a start, ‘No! Apologies to the Gathering for the interjection, but I must refute this HUMAN’S ridiculous attempt at obfuscation. Do not underestimate us, Codexian. Do not think us idiots! We all know why you side with the Three Toners. What makes you any better than the Hin’in, who we of the Four Suns use to our ends – and admit are used by, in turn? You aliens impose your machinations on us, in our time of pain. You feed off our suffering, bloodsuckers that you are. Clan Elders, where does this road lead? The Raumen are in ruin. Six clans have already been extinguished by this fighting, and yet the humans would see us sacrifice on THIER BEHALF, compounding our misery. Our quarrel is not simply with the Humans, or the Hin’in. It is with all those that would enslave us by our own hands!’

A raucous choir arose, ‘Hear, hear! Hear, hear!’

The Elder conducting the proceedings rapped on the podium he sat behind, ‘Calm, fellow Elders, calm, please. The humans have proven themselves to entertain notions of supremacy over us. The Hin’in duplicity is now also a known quality. Where does this leave the Clans? Even as we deliberate, our fleets continue to wither away fighting each other. Our strength is failing. We must put this matter to a vote. Where do we go from here? When we leave these chambers, is the war to continue as is? Can we allow it to continue? What is our duty to our kin and kith?’

The room erupted, as hundreds of voices rang out simultaneously. The debate would now begin in earnest.

When all was said and done, the conference called by the humans to rally support against the Hin’in had resulted in unmitigated disaster. Firstly, the Clans did rally – but against the ‘alien menace’, generally, not the Hin’in. Secondly, the Hin’in found out about the conference almost immediately, and correctly deduced the obvious intent behind it. Their response was evident even before that of the Raumeni, when elements of the Second Fleet were ambushed and destroyed in Tau Omicron, a few lightyears away from their the regional headquarters. The faces of the attending admiralty paled, when they were first presented with the still-developing situation at a general staff meeting thereafter. This was a nightmare scenario; war against the majority of the Raumeni clans, and the Hin’in themselves.

Not every Clan joined in the Muster against the Codexians and the Hin’in. Some, weakened by the war or otherwise disinterested in its course, abstained from joining in. But out of two hundred-odd Clans, almost one hundred and fifty pooled their remaining strength to wage war against both of the alien factions now besetting their territories. A three sided conflict began to spin out of control. The Hin’in, cognizant of the underlying danger, quickly committed a huge number of vessels against the ‘bugs’. The Codexians, meanwhile, found their fleets facing constant attacks from an array of local clans. Some had even turned away from the Three Tone Alliance, in order to fight the Codexian threat. It was all becoming a ghastly mess. Explaining the situation at home was going to prove exceedingly difficult – even as thousands of Codexians became casualties of the war enveloping Raumeni space.

You are at war. It is time to decide on its conduct.

Do you... begin a general mobilization, in preparation for a high intensity conflict? This might anger your populace, but it will leave you better prepared to deal with wartime losses and other consequences of the struggle.

OR

Do you... pull back your fleets from the conflagration, in order to consolidate a defensive perimeter along your borders? This will see you pull away from the everyday conflict, in preparation for fore decisive action, later on.

OR

Do you... wish to both a) mobilize and b) pull back? This will increase your fighting strength greatly over time, and reduce casualties in the short term.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Disaster is milling around with the guests, making small talk. It thanks Codexia for inviting it.

laclongquan

Arcane
Mwahahahaha! Not the best outcome I want, but definitely not the worst either. It's still in our calculations.

The fools! Now they are facing a 2 front war. And even better, they provide us with perfect excuse to invade, conquer, and destroy whoever stand in our paths. And if our creditors are in the array of our enemies? Why, the debts are null and void. If they are crafty they damn well will sit aside and wait for our payment after the war because no way in hell we are paying to our potential enemies either.

My felllow councillors, take hearts! This is a time of challenge, but also a time of opportunity. Let's unleash our dogs of war!

Mobilization our full strength is a given. This war gonna be long, with a gigiantic prize is at the end.

The question is whether we pull back or not. My inclination is to withdraw to our border to both bolster our defense and prepare for a major thrust later on.

On the other hand, the A option is not without merit. We got a stronger presence and may easily attack but we became preys to harrassing, which is the favourite tactic of the bugs. OTOH, when the Hiin smash the bugs aside, they may capitulate to our demand and will need quick reinforcement....

Screw it! I dont want to vote yet. My choice is C, but I will wait further intel.

I do not vote here NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Jack said:
I. Told. You. So.

You fucking idiots. WE TOLD YOU SO.

But the time of accusations has passed us. We will choose C!

Withdraw the Fleets to the Codexian Border, mobilize the whole Star Nation and prepare for offensive. Finally, we'll have our chance of slaying the xenos for good!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom