Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Codexian Saga LP

The Barbarian

Liturgist
Unless the Barbarian's maths has gone awry...

Three votes for Option A.

Six votes for Option B.

Five votes for Option C.

Option B takes it.

And this was without any flip-flopping, aside from treave's (who flopped from B to C).

Cheeky voters, leading the Barbarian astray!

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Hold it, Barbarian!

A: 3
Jack, Garfunkel, taplonaplo
B: 6
TNO, praetor, heechee, Maria, Azira, wjw, Luan
C: 7
Jaedar, laclongquan, Orgasm, Conkrete Knight, treave, root, obediah

Have I missed out on anyone or misinterpreted their votes?

edit: Of course, this means we weren't in a deadlock after all, and I flopped just to turn B into the loser. Oops?

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Well, Codexian Intelligence and Special Ops is going to have my head for this flip-flop. Sorry, guys.

:(

I bear this mark of shame forever.

The Barbarian

Liturgist
root:

B took it by more than one vote. Changing from B to C reduced B's advantage. Either the Barbarian miscounted very badly, or there was no deadlock in the first place.

Also:

@barbarian: but can't we have our flagships fitted with wormhole drives while our smaller, direct attack vessels fitted with FTLs? I thought that was our intention all along

The Barbarian had not spotted this question previously. He will answer it now: the smallest vessel that can either a) move FTL or b) utilize wyrmhole drives is a frigate equivalent. Fighter sized attack craft have no such capability. The Barbarian understands it's an arbitrary limitation, but it is now an established part of the universe.

EDIT:

Hmm... Damn it, my people. From now on, let's make our choices the first part of each voting post, in a nice bold. And let us only mention the vote once.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Yes, we should make sure the choices are clear and well-bolded, given the tendency of a lot of us to launch into tl;dr walls of text.

The Barbarian

Liturgist
@conan: what about treave's recount? it's wrong then? i'm not trying to nitpick here, i'm just genuinely confused.

The Barbarian will go through the votes one more time, just in case. There are 'votes' he won't accept, because they discuss making a choice, without actually making a choice.

The Barbarian

Liturgist
Final count:

Jack - A
Jaedar - C
TNO - B
praetor - B
heechee1 - B
Maria - B
GarfunkeL - A
Azira - B
wjw - B
Orgasm - C
Conkrete Knight - C
taplonaplo - A
Luan - B
treave - C
root - C

A - 3
B - 7 <- Winner.
C - 5

EDIT:

root: The Barbarian could be tempted into running such a campaign, in future. We will see!

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
root said:

B it is, then. However, may I suggest that since we know they are psykers, we try to communicate with them with, shall we say, 'special' preparations?

Do we know that they're psychic? This is what the Barbarian wrote:

The Barbarian said:
What is known generally is that they are a race of four-eyed humanoids with (according to lore) psychic powers

So, according to the lore, they have psychic powers. What these are, and what threat it constitutes, we have no idea. And considering the past dealings of the Raumen with the Hin'in, it might just be a convenient myth planted by the Hin'in themselves.
Let's not jumpt to conclusions, but I agree that we ought to be careful.

The Barbarian

Liturgist
Ah, we discount obediah and laclongquan's votes. Got it.

Ugh! The Barbarian missed obediah's vote - it looked as if it was merely discussing the merits of each option, at first glance.

Re: laclongquan:

If this was his last post on the vote:

Ah well, if sitting neutral and selling to ALL doesnt work, we must change to 'divide and conquer' strategy.

Back channels talk... we dont have enough intel to be sure that we can talk to them. Are they merely provoke fight within Raumen in order to weaken them for future wars? Or did they intend that for us too?

The short and decisive option beckon me, so I am naturally suspicious. Perhaps this is the exact kind of ambush I am afraid of. Perhaps if we send our fleet straight in we will get hammer so hard that direct involvement is inevitable. Our public will not allow us to pull out after so much blood has been poured out.

In the end, the guise of diplomacy and realpolitik call upon me. A divived Raumen work in our favours. Let's consolidate our gains, pretend that we dont know about hiin, and call upon the tradition Greed motivation. THEN in the table we could point out the Hiin involvement. IF they believe us, we might organize a coalition fleet to smash the enemies, thereby reduce Raumen's total strength in the whole. If they dont, maybe we can set up further groundwork for future wars and peaces. Beside, using bugs to fight bugs make me laugh.

... then the Barbarian must discount the vote. It seems to be more a discussion of merit than a definitive answer, either way.

obediah

Erudite
root said:
obediah's vote was kind of ambiguous, but longlas usually doesn't vote anyway, thought he was making a case for C. anyway, it still means unless you count Obediah's, which means a tie, and fuck that. even though I disagree, let's just go with B and get on with it.

someone needs to get his hands dirty in this, anyway. and sadly i'm more honest than selfish.

I thought I was reasonably clearly picking C, but live and learn. Next time I'll preface any discussion with a big bold letter of anti-ambiguity.

The Barbarian

Liturgist
New Kids on the Block

The Raumeni Civil War stretched on into 266AU, without an end in sight. The casualties of the conflict now numbered in the millions. Broken hulls littered the space near contested worlds, which played host to hundreds of ongoing landside campaigns. The Raumeni made for bitter enemies, especially unto themselves. Codexianity, for its part, was growing impatient with the undeclared war being waged in the Raumen territories by the Codexian Navy. All the government had to show for the ongoing support it provided to the Three-Toner Alliance was a growing mound of toe-tagged body bags and extravagant extra-budgetary spending. Luckily, the news that another force was actively involved in the conflict remained a private reserve. Codexia was determined to discover exactly who the Hin’in were, and what they wanted. To that end, they employed every information gathering technique available to them, from SENINT (sentient intelligence) to ELINT (electronic intelligence) to active reconnaissance.

After a long period of frustrating failure, they finally discovered an ‘in’ through a largely neutral minor clan that had avoided taking part in the war directly. Human intelligence operatives and their Raumeni counterparts managed to follow a long arms dealing paper trail back to its source, which turned out to be a Raumeni front for a Hin’in sponsored operation. Establishing contact with the Hin’in through such dubious links required a delicate diplomatic touch and deft timing. To Codexianity’s credit, both were in evidence when contact was successfully initiated on 18 June 266AU, in a landmark covert action. A number of clandestine meetings followed, in which the Hin’in – confirmed to be short, robe-wearing, four-eyed humanoids – met with their human equivalents on neutral ground. There, they began hashing out their differences and looking for common ground. Before long, the Hin’in were more or less confirmed to possess telepathic powers, at the very least. They could communicate amongst themselves without any verbal address.

On the diplomatic side of the exchange, the Hin’in position was very clearly defined; they desired control over their ‘side’ of the Raumeni domain. Their client faction had already relinquished control over strategic systems to the Hin’in Empire, which was slowly making ready to assume control in force. There was very little ambiguity or wordplay involved, the Hin’in did not mince their words or utilize double-speak. The Codexians sitting opposite them were often taken aback by their oft-brutal honesty. The bottom line they presented was that the Confederacy was finished, as a state construct. The future of the Raumeni was vassalage. Codexianity was offered a simple deal, several months into the negotiations: a 50/50 divide of the Raumeni territories, and the opportunity for lucrative trade and development deals down the road. The alternative given was struggle. ‘Uncompromising’ is a term that came to characterize the Hin’in rather accurately, during this time.

Do you... refuse to let the idea of the Raumen Confederacy die? These aliens are clearly tyrannous monsters, and must be stopped. Furthermore, the Raumeni themselves might have something to say about vassalage.

OR

Do you... choose to accept the Hin’in deal? It means money and territory on a platter. It means more power. Perhaps it is the start of a beautiful friendship.

OR

Do you court disaster by inviting all the warring clans to witness evidence that clearly shows the Hin'in are acting to subjugate large swathes of Raumeni territory?

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Mm. Interesting choices. BEAAAAAUTIFUL friendship.... or mind-controlled friendship? DUN DUN DUNNNN.

edit: Will we get any further details on how we will run our 'side' of the Raumen territory? Puppet leaders, direct control? This may influence stability to varying degrees. Yes, our much loved stability.

TNO

Augur
B.

A gives us +1 enemy.

C risks uniting the Raumen against us. It's not like we aren't doing what the Hin'in are.

Make like Stalin about Poland, dudes.

Self-Ejected

Jack

█▓▒░
Patron
Insert Title Here
They have proved to be sensible.
Let us not be any less civilized and accept.
We will however need to take precautions against them in any case, so that they won't silently take over Codexia.

I vote B :twisted:

lightbane

Arcane
B, this will be a good way of not having to pay the debt any more... Unless the Hin are the Etherials... Oh shi... *is mindcontrolled*.

Self-Ejected

Jack

█▓▒░
Patron
Insert Title Here
The Barbarian said:
The Barbarian nominates this as the theme song of the Codexian warmachine:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VoaUYcwEpSw

Unstoppable - by ES Posthumus
atu6d.png

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
B, but we must be vary. We do not know how powerful they are. For all we know, their telepathic prowess grows in groups and they might even be powerful enough to mind control our citizens....

Recommend we try to obtain a few specimens for study.

-This Vote has been declared null and void, do not count it-

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom