Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Codexian Saga LP

praetor

Arcane
C motherfuckers!

like war hero Jack said "Finally a chance to kill some bugs."

seriously codexians, how can you pass up a chance to squish some vermin? the chance to test our shiny new AI in battle conditions? perhaps even test some new ships and weaponry if we developed anything new...

TO. FUCKING. WAAAAR!

Self-Ejected

Jack

█▓▒░
Patron
Insert Title Here
I just realized why the Phyr and the Raumen were so disorganized during our wars.
When they engage their FTL drives communication is impossible.

That's why they only could swarm our outer colonies, and their lack of tactical planning contributed a lot.
This battle will be easy, if we are able to pull the same thing off again.
A few deadly strikes where they really can feel it.

:salute:
To all who voted for C.

The Barbarian

Liturgist
The Barbarian believes that the vote is now as follows:

Eight votes for Option A.

Three votes for Option B.

Nine votes for Option C.

Option C takes it.

Update forthcoming.

taplonaplo

Scholar
Don't forget about the asteroids, we must utilize those asteroids!
85787110.png

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
While I am not usually a warmonger I must admit I am curious to see the full power of the Codexian fleet when faced against a worthy adversary.

The Barbarian

Liturgist
The Winter of Discontent, Raumeni-style

The Raumeni of the Three-Tone Alliance (three major and several dozen minor clans fighting under the same banner) had always seemed a 'decent enough sort' to the Codexians. Borderlanders, through and through, they included some of the most enterprising 'bugs' around. One of their member clans had even participated in the long and ill-advised war of first contact against the humans. Yet, they were still the ones who did most of the trade with the humans, and were most certainly the ones who dealt with them on an everyday basis. These clans, young and vital as they were, rankled under the strictures of the Confederacy. As an institution, it existed solely to prevent a radical schism amongst clans with inherently distinct interests. However, it could do so only with the assent of its constituent members, and was barely suited to actually resolving internecine grievances. When one of these escalated in the 260s to the point of open conflict, there was little the Confederate 'government' could do.

After all, the Raumeni clans each maintained their own militaries. None depended on the Confederacy for protection - quite the opposite was true, in fact. Therefore, as soon as the Three-Tone Alliance began fighting the Four Suns of the Red Nebula, and its other enemies across the Raumeni Confederacy, the situation immediately became untenable. The Confederate government collapsed in a ruined heap within eight months, and bloody battles began to exert a terrible attrition on the Raumeni belligerents. Hundreds of vessels were destroyed in mere months, and a great many of the insectoids perished. Simply sitting back and observing the course of the conflict was certainly an option, but for the Codexian government the only possible course of action became clear, as soon as trade volume dropped by some thirty percent. To allow this state of affairs to go on would ruin innumerable Codexian businesses, not to mention the unpredictable consequences for long term relations that the conflict might have entailed.

It was quickly decided that Codexia would have to act. In 263AU, roughly a year and a bit into the Raumeni Civil War, the bulk of the Second and Sixth Fleets transitioned into Three-Tone space, as part of a 'peacekeeping' initiative. Led by Admirals JP Gromyn and Michael Augustus, the Codexian Naval forces involved were to act 'in a humanitarian fashion, protecting Raumeni civilians from wartime depredations and thereby helping to resolve the conflict.' This, essentially, was a diplomatic veneer 'covering up' the outright military support the Codexian government had allotted to the Three-Toners. Codexia itself did not mobilize, nor adopt measures that would put it on a wartime footing. Rather, the Civil War was treated as a limited conflict requiring only a moderate military commitment to ensure a favourable outcome.

Unfortunately, this evaluation of the situation at hand proved to be highly optimistic. The presence of the Codexians certainly won otherwise unwinnable battles for the Three-Tone Alliance, but the strategic balance remained precarious. And losses began mounting rather quickly. The Raumeni were deceptively powerful. Though no single clan or collection thereof could match Codexia's potential during a full blown war, the Raumeni, as a whole, were clearly a different story. The smallest of the clans could still call upon some military might - while the greatest had entire Codexian fleet-equivalents in their orders of battle. The armadas of the Four Suns were, in their own right, quite vast. And they made the humans bleed. By 264AU, units of the Seventh and Ninth Fleets were dispatched to the contested frontage. Then, the Seventh was fully committed. Yet, it was clearly not enough. The Battle of the Brothers Epsilon was as decisive a victory as any of the war, for the Three-Toners, but the Four Suns refused to give in. Though possessing superior strategic mobility and working stealth cloaks, the Codexians could not tilt the war decisively in favour of their client faction.

It was in 265AU, the third year of the war, that the Codexian government began suspecting that there was another party to the conflict, backing the forces of the Four Suns with military intelligence, funds and other forms of clandestine support. The hints had been there all along, but no one was looking for them. Within months, Codexian intelligence operatives had uncovered a name. The Hin'in. Aside from that, there was not much information on the unseen foe. It was clear that their horse in the race some called the Civil War was the deadly foe of the Three-Toners. None of the other factions involved seemed to attract their patronage. Said patronage of the Four Suns was having a deleterious effect on Codexian efforts at resolving the conflict, once and for all. Something had to be done. And quickly! The public would not long stand for an undeclared war that was costing thousands of human lives, and that would result in a flood of insectoid refugees into Codexian territory.

Do you... bolster your forces in the Raumeni territories and launch a savage, direct offensive against the Four Suns, in the hopes of flushing out the Hin'in?

OR

Do you... work the back channels, in an attempt at establishing a line of communications with these new aliens? Perhaps they could be reasoned with.

OR

Do you... ignore the Hin'in involvement in the conflict and concentrate on solidifying the gains of the Three-Toners, by calling the Four Suns to the negotiating table? After all, they are also businessmen, and this was not proving so good for anyone's business.

The Barbarian apologizes, lads, he was not trying to give the impression that this war was going to entail the full mobilization of Codexian resources. That sort of thing requires - much as in the real world - the impression of an existential threat, at least.

we have both FTL and wormhole drives

EDIT: Just for the sake of clarity: you have knowledge of both, but only use wyrmhole drives. In this sense, it's an either/or proposition. The drives in question are too big, too power-consuming and too expensive to be used jointly on any practical vessel. The Raumeni still possess a very clear superiority in tactical mobility, as such.

Self-Ejected

Jack

█▓▒░
Patron
Insert Title Here
Let's smoke them out in the open.
This proxy war is getting on my nerves.
I vote A, but if other councillors have good arguments I could change my mind.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Direct assault, subterfuge, or diplomacy....

I'm thinking diplomacy right now, we can always do a first contact with the Hin later, preferably when we're not already in a war(in case they prove hostile).

So C.

TNO

Augur
I thank the hawks on this council for dragging us into a war we need not fight. We shall see if we profit from this military misadventure.

Given the circumstances, B. Let us see what the aliens are playing at.

taplonaplo

Scholar
Why does debugging always take so long? The Hin'in seem like kinda cool guys pitting the Raumen against each other and all. So i'm kind of in the same position as Jack, leaning towards A, but i can be reasoned with.

laclongquan

Arcane
Ah well, if sitting neutral and selling to ALL doesnt work, we must change to 'divide and conquer' strategy.

Back channels talk... we dont have enough intel to be sure that we can talk to them. Are they merely provoke fight within Raumen in order to weaken them for future wars? Or did they intend that for us too?

The short and decisive option beckon me, so I am naturally suspicious. Perhaps this is the exact kind of ambush I am afraid of. Perhaps if we send our fleet straight in we will get hammer so hard that direct involvement is inevitable. Our public will not allow us to pull out after so much blood has been poured out.

In the end, the guise of diplomacy and realpolitik call upon me. A divived Raumen work in our favours. Let's consolidate our gains, pretend that we dont know about hiin, and call upon the tradition Greed motivation. THEN in the table we could point out the Hiin involvement. IF they believe us, we might organize a coalition fleet to smash the enemies, thereby reduce Raumen's total strength in the whole. If they dont, maybe we can set up further groundwork for future wars and peaces. Beside, using bugs to fight bugs make me laugh.

Heechee

Liturgist
B

More intel on the Hin'in should be of the highest priority. Maybe they could be offered informal division of the Raumeni territory in two spheres of influence - Codexian and Hin'inian.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
root said:
i don't think they want any influence. the previous report said they went to war with the entire raumeni race. they're probably trying to divide it in order to beat it into submission.
Sounds strangely similar to what some of us want.

Maria

Novice
Without a doubt B, if we engage in an all out attack on the raumeni they'll unite against us and tear us a new one.

Let's do what we do best, gather info before we use it against the enemy!

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Well, we are already committed. I did not vote for such but since we are in, having lost thousands of lives and dozens of ships, I suggest we finish this once and for all and make Raumeni our vassals.

A!

Crush the Four Suns, flush Hin'in to the open and cursh them as well! Full mobilization - this arm of the Galaxy will belong to Codexia for good!

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Option B.

Let's try and see what these Hin'in are up to, try to get them to talk. Committing to full scale war might indeed unite the other clans in a direct assault against Codexia itself, and we'd rather they continue keeping their focus on their own kind.

wjw

Augur
We must spy the shit out of our enemies. Then plant a cloacked ship next to their home planet and bombard it will a kazillion nuclear bombs.

B!

Self-Ejected

Jack

█▓▒░
Patron
Insert Title Here
I prefer to shoot first and ask the questions later.
They could be preparing a strike against us or perhaps they are just waiting for us to do something.
They seem to be our splitting image in some matters.

It will be interesting to see how this will play out.

Self-Ejected

Jack

█▓▒░
Patron
Insert Title Here
root said:
maybe they are us. hin'in does sound like human, the raumeni attacked us on sight when we first met, and ever since they seem to be trying to prevent us from founding out anything of use about the universe.

maybe codexia is a splinter colony of the hin'in empire? battlestar galactica sort of fing
You are telling me we could be a splinter colony?
The great empire of Codexia?
:rage:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom