Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Codexian Saga LP

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Negotiations may be interesting but it may bog down if not moderated. I would suggest we set a limit of some sort for negotiations, be it time-based or post-based. If a compromise is not reached within that time then we may proceed to utilize the Rule of Five - of course this means that whichever 'faction' votes earlier will hold greater sway in the negotiations.

But I am not sure how much it will affect the Barbarian's freedom in writing. As usual, I trust he will decide for the best.

The Barbarian

Liturgist
This is a joint exercise, so the Barbarian is open to modifying its structure, if the voting body agrees. As such, he will be open to putting the recommendation to a vote, in the near future.

Another choice, with its own consequences!

Truly, the Barbarian is a Co-Bro.

The Barbarian

Liturgist
Codexia, the Unbound

The edict that opened up Amoneth space to colonization and exploitation came as a great surprise to the public. Initially (and, to some extent, thereafter as well), there was a great deal of trepidation. After all, this was the territory of the fabled Amoneth in question. Masters of high technology; Godlike beings; the ghosts of ages past... People did not fail to see the potential disaster in treading upon their hallowed territory. As such, for the first few years, only the bravest (most foolhardy?) of prospectors and pioneers took the plunge and set out to discover riches beyond dreaming. The first outposts were set up gingerly, with one ear to the ground at all times, waiting for some kind of sign. And, as befits giving credence to fables, none came. Whether or not the Amoneth really existed - or had ever existed - came into open question, in Codexian circles. Soon, tens of thousands swarmed the space they allegedly claimed, and each passing year saw less stock put into the legends.

For their part, the Raumeni and the Phyr continued to warn humanity of serious repercussions were they to anger the Amoneth. But Codexians were in no mood to entertain their petty superstitions, anymore. Though caution continued to be the watchword, the exploitation program not only continued on its present course, but increased in scope and tempo over a period of some five years. No old ruins were being discovered on the surveyed worlds, no artefacts, no skeletons, exo-skeletons or fossil remains. All signs pointed to the legend of the Amoneth staying precisely that. The economic benefits of the enterprise were proving very significant, indeed. Yet, officials were becoming perturbed by a spate of 'incidents' that took place during this time. In one instance, a small surveying vessel ceased transmissions to the local comm-buoy for more than three days. It eventually re-appeared and made contact with regional authorities - puzzled as to why three solar days had gone by, without any of the crew noticing the lapse. They had simply 'skipped' them.

This was by no means an isolated incident. At least five other vessels reported similar occurrences, with intervals of varying length. There was no pattern to this mysterious activity. And, despite a well publicized leak to the media regarding the phenomenon, the overall consequences for the program were quite subdued. After all, none of the crews in question had been harmed. None reported any abnormalities, or strange experiences, as a result of the lapses. Though scientists could not explain them, they eventually simply formed a part of the legend of the Amoneth, and a sort of 'local flavour' - just another thread in the tapestry of the Amoneth expanse. In the meantime, good money was being made from the project. Economic growth was strong across the board for Codexia, and the boom seemed destined to continue in perpetuity. The good times were on a roll.

What is Codexia's next step to be?

Do you... now wish to expand into the Phyr Dead Zone? Who knows what forgotten bounty it still may hold. The Turanei, after all, had not seemed that interested in pillage - merely destruction.

OR

Do you... believe that exploring beyond the Raumeni territories might be the better idea? Do other sentients await, beyond? New markets, perhaps?

The Barbarian

Liturgist
or even allow for significant discussion before the vote ends.

Hypothetically speaking, the Rule of Five would only come into play once voting had been given the opportunity to resolve the conflict (say, 24-hours' worth of it), and a final conflict-resolution vote had failed.

The Barbarian

Liturgist
Definitely, we will consider all possible approaches to an admittedly problematic issue. The Barbarian was loathe to flip a coin, in all honesty. Especially after all that entertaining back and forth.

Self-Ejected

Jack

█▓▒░
Patron
Insert Title Here
Finally things are going well for us.

I'm not yet sure what to vote for.
The deadzone may hold many secrets but I really want to establish those deep-space military bases.

Hell, I really just want to drop the furries down into planets in the deadzone just to see them swell up and explode.

Angthoron

Arcane
This requires some pondering.

However, regarding the "mechanics", I would urge The Barbarian to not use the modified rule of five, as the thread will become more about who posts first rather than actually having the fun of political debate.

Alas, I've only the "random choice" or "a little of both" to offer as alternatives.

Conkrete Knight

Educated
I tend to take A.

Exploring is something we can always do later.

In the best case those worlds contain ressources and/or are habitabel.

In terms of lootable technology I am not holding my breath, but these worlds are a possibility to expand our dominion prior to contacting other entities, hence being able to carry a larger stick when speaking to them softly.

In any case, we will learn something about the effect of the Turaneis "world sterilization", which I personally am quite interesstet in.

And a little boon to the warmongers: How do you think the Turanei are going to react on those prior dead
Fur-bear worlds suddenly containing new Fur-bears alongside humans?

It will probably lead to war, and as we all know war is jolly good fun! (not to speak of it being a cause of unification and renewed solidarity)

taplonaplo

Scholar
Too much expansion not enough bug crushing :( Glad to hear Amoneth are even bigger pussies than me.

It would also be interesting if at a tie, we would get ahold of a Moderator, preferably someone who doesn't follow the game (to be neutrala s much as possible) and make him decide based on the arguments brought up by the councilors. Think of him/her as general public or so, who doesn't know exactly the events leading to the situation. Since ties will be probably pretty rare it should be possible to manage.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
I vote kingcomrade, should he deign to honour us with his bulky glory.

lightbane

Arcane
I say B, frankly these are DEAD WORLDS. What do you expect to find exactly? Wrecked ruins? The furries had nothing that we didn't have and much better, it's a waste of time and money.

Conkrete Knight

Educated
root said:
Although I voted A, i think we do what we can to avoid war. two is enough, and with the economy doing well, there's no reason to crash it again.

Of course we do.

But should the Turanei abandon diplomacy and force our noble and peaceful nation to defend itself it would help our Government, e.g us, win support.

I mean, look at what the USA did with Bush!

An war of agression on the other hand would fuel rebel sentiments, of that there is no doubt.
So it is better to let them take the first step, albeit without provoking them to much (although a little bit is ok, we are no pussies after all).

Angthoron

Arcane
I think I agree with the A option. We must expand as much as we can in our parts of space first to create a massive base for our outwards expansion. If a war comes to the outer worlds, we will be able to have a massive fleet of battleships and a strong economy to support the war effort.

Self-Ejected

Jack

█▓▒░
Patron
Insert Title Here
The sooner we crush the bugs the better.
Regional domination would ensure our victory.
I vote for A, let's take on those xeno scum.

lightbane

Arcane
But these are dead worlds, perhaps they're totally gone, reduced to random pieces of junk, or maybe they have a deadly atmosphere, or perhaps the repti-xenos decided to leave an outpost there.

Conkrete Knight

Educated
Jack said:
The sooner we crush the bugs the better.
Regional domination would ensure our victory.
I vote for A, let's take on those xeno scum.

I can't help but think that the Bugs are going to initiate agressions themselves.

Not now, they are growing fat on the loan they gave us.

As soon as that one is paid of hovewer,they will find themselves in a situation where we dominate their markets, and they don't strike me as the type to take that ligthly.

So there are probably going to be some complications on that front in the future.

They might go as far as to enforce [gasp] mecantilistic policies!
Which of course would force our hand :roll:

Self-Ejected

Jack

█▓▒░
Patron
Insert Title Here
lightbane said:
But these are dead worlds, perhaps they're totally gone, reduced to random pieces of junk, or maybe they have a deadly atmosphere, or perhaps the repti-xenos decided to leave an outpost there.
I still very much would like to have control over the area.
Spacestations and outposts would be very useful there.
We would know if the Turanei prepared an invasion and give us an edge over the Raumen.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
To be honest I'm entirely unconvinced that the Dead Zone will yield any profit.

Of course, we can afford it due to our boom times from exploiting the former Amoneth areas, but should we spend to bring the area under control?

This is a decision I'm unconcerned about, one way or another... it fails to elicit passion in me.

Self-Ejected

Jack

█▓▒░
Patron
Insert Title Here
Same here, old comrades.
I just want my damn military bases.
I don't really care if they are in deep-space or in the deadzone.
Either would be good enough for me, at the moment I think the deadzone holds an strategic advantage.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
I believe if we gain further control over former Phyr territory we might rival the Raumen in size. We were already at about 600 light-years before absorbing Amoneth space, I think. Maybe more.

Hm...

Luan

Educated
Entirely plausible we will be stronger economically and militarily. We may have a greater population as well. Also consider the Raumen are not united as we.

I'm much more intrigued by the Turenai than further developments with the Raumen.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom