Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Codexian Saga LP

Angthoron

Arcane
I wonder if we should in a few decades give the AI citizen rights - way before the AI itself would want it. Long-term thinking here, Councillors.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Angthoron said:
I wonder if we should in a few decades give the AI citizen rights - way before the AI itself would want it. Long-term thinking here, Councillors.

Citizen rights on the AI would lead to complete AI economic domination. Not like it doesn't happen now, but at least there is a human government at the top, deciding on human goals.

Complete AI E.D. would lead to singularity sooner or later. Singularity would lead to humanity extinction, sooner rather than later.

(the possibility of Ascension is good though).

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
We'll deal with that when the time comes. It is important we at least let all the anti-AI opinions(or at least most of it) die out first. We barely just evaded a civil war, we do not want to risk another one.

But for the record, I approve of the notion.

The Barbarian

Liturgist
State of the Union, circa 250AU

The State

Codexia is a Federal Republic spanning almost six hundred light years. Its citizens have settled more than forty worlds in thirty-eight systems, and control dozens of others via outposts of varying sizes. Several of the aforementioned worlds are now home to more than a million people. The Republic is an increasingly decentralized form of state government. Administration of far-off colonies and the continued assurance of their loyalty to Unity Megalopolis is reliant on the parcelling out of many legislative powers to planetary governors. Splinter settlements are also suspected to exist outside of patrolled Codexian space - they are peopled by independents, outcasts and outlaws, primarily. There is an element of internal resistance to the central government, with a large number of citizens (at least, in an absolute sense) resentful of a heavy tax burden and various government policies. However, for the moment, they are no threat to the ruling authority.

Society

Codexian society at large remains much as it was at the turn of the second century. Which, of course, is not saying much, considering that said society was exceedingly complex, fraught with many ideological fault lines, and prone to fracture. It is a society full of subcultures, religious movements, cults, fads and obsessions. The ties that bind these disparate peoples together are those of death, taxes, culture and a largely shared everyday experience. A difficult history with aliens has left them embittered, distrustful and very belligerent toward other life forms. The growing Phyr minority (their population is rapidly expanding in the refugee settlements) is giving many citizens the opportunity to interact with xenos on an everyday basis. This is both alleviating the problem, and exacerbating it in some quarters.

Economy

The economy of Codexia has been through some very difficult times, recently, but has come through the recent recession with gusto. Although the government is faced with repaying an extraordinary debt, growth has been very strong in recent years, and the economy has expanded at least four-fold since the recorded 200AU gross domestic product. Industrial production is extremely healthy, spurred on by steady exports to the Raumen clans and excellent AI stewardship. Slowly, surely the trade balance is tilting in favour of the humans, for the first time. For all the precision engineering of the Raumeni, Codexian industry is ultimately proving to be the greater economic force.

Technology

Apart from the advent of true AI in 223AU, Codexia has not advanced a great deal technologically in the past fifty years. Economic instability and a lack of impetus have together acted to prevent much of an investment in a variety of technological fields. The greatest advances have come in the private, commercial sector, where innovation is tied to consumption. Here, the endlessly evolving Codexian society has acted as a catalyst for novelty.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Hooray, the State of the Union.

Tt looks like we will need a unifying belief to hold our growing populace together. The Phyr must share in that belief too for it to be effective. Hopefully that chance will occur in the near future.

A.I. seems to be a very good long-term investment, and they're managing the economy better than the flesh & blood members of the Republic. I did not really expect it to turn out this well. Tech-wise, as usual we will need more investment into advancements in the future, now that the doves have gotten their wish and we are now relatively stable. We cannot grow complacent and stagnant.

Also, correct me if I've misread this but it seems like our citizens are growing extremely decadent, with most innovation happening for consumer pleasure.

Self-Ejected

Jack

█▓▒░
Patron
Insert Title Here
treave said:
Hooray, the State of the Union.

Tt looks like we will need a unifying belief to hold our growing populace together. The Phyr must share in that belief too for it to be effective. Hopefully that chance will occur in the near future.

A.I. seems to be a very good long-term investment, and they're managing the economy better than the flesh & blood members of the Republic. I did not really expect it to turn out this well. Tech-wise, as usual we will need more investment into advancements in the future, now that the doves have gotten their wish and we are now relatively stable. We cannot grow complacent and stagnant.

Also, correct me if I've misread this but it seems like our citizens are growing extremely decadent, with most innovation happening for consumer pleasure.
Yes it is truly an age of decadence we live in.
We must turn the tide and create total unity.

Self-Ejected

Jack

█▓▒░
Patron
Insert Title Here
bamneaacl.jpg

Codexia is and forever will be ruled by this council.
Power of this kind should never be given to a single individual.

Even if I would make an excellent warleader.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Who cares about the Phyr stuff? We've got AI's, with a little ingenuity we could probably figure out a way to transmit one of them onboard enemy ships, giving us instant control over everything their onboard computers have access to. Naturally, we will have to compress them first, and stuff like that, but it shouldn't be an impossible augmentation to our fleet.

However, I grow more and more distraught by the state of our civilians, it seems there is a lot of discontent. We must be vigilant of any uprising, so we can quell it before it even begins. I do not think we should go to war without some improvements in that sector either.

lightbane

Arcane
Yes it is truly an age of decadence we live in.
We must turn the tide and create total unity.

See? I warned you fools but you prefered to obey the whims of a mechanical god! Prepare yourselves for the Decline!

Self-Ejected

Jack

█▓▒░
Patron
Insert Title Here
You just wait until we have finished the great hivemind.
We will stand united at last.

Maria

Novice
root said:
well, at least we can all agree that AI was the right choice. shame it depended on the flip of a coin.

Never! The new mineral would have blown the AI out of the galaxy.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
root said:
wait. what happened to the cloaking technology/FTL drives we stole from the phyr? we even invested in tech research after that, and the barbarian said at least one of these things came to fruition before near-civil war.

The tech breakthrough the Barbarian mentioned would be the AI.

Of the rest, I assume we do have it, but at the same level the Phyrries did when we took them in; i.e. no improvements.

Regarding the Reconquista... a noble goal, but remember that the plan is the "reconquesting" of former Phyrrie worlds. The result would likely have been a Phyrrie separatist movement demanding the return of worlds that belonged to the Dominion. Furthermore, how many of our own Codexian citizens will support spending time and money to retake Phyrrie worlds that we abandoned? Liberalfag they may be, but they have no real attachment to these places. I fear such a Reconquista may heighten tensions between Codexian and Phyrrie.

No, best to leave the Dead Zone well enough alone for now. We can return later.

laclongquan

Arcane
How many bears can live in one planet? Our bears are only a few millions, hardly a popular base for a separatists movement. beside, the nature of such is based on the racism, the differentiate in social between such citizens and others, the taxes, lots. Actually, I saw such movement is the proof of poor management over the years. the bear refugees live with us in harmony, no hardship, not even get the slave treament that so many councillors threaten them before.

As for the tech and breakthrough, you can hardly say we set money aside for research the loots. Do note the nature of tech: instead of new materials that could have come from such, you save money to research AI. Dont go complain to me that no good come from the loot. you flaky of a bunch of politicians. PAH.

The Barbarian

Liturgist
Where No Man Has Gone Before

Prosperity. It was the new name of the game. Codexia was expanding in all directions, and its citizens were reaping every benefit of a mini-Golden Age imaginable. Some called it the 'AI Revolution' - others simply looked at the hard facts; the increased production and export figures, massive growth in the services sector, almost full employment and the prospect of more to come sitting on the horizon. The Turanei were sitting pretty in their own territory, as far as the Codexian government knew, and the Raumen seemed happy enough to grow rich, in their own right, from the massive debt repayments they were due (at least, for another decade, or so). All in all, it was the sort of era that begged for the flexing of state muscles.

It was deemed, eventually, that exploration and further colonization were the means by which said muscles would be flexed. Intrigued by the prospect of finding out more about the now-legendary 'Amoneth', numerous vessels and crews were given contracts to explore in the general direction of the crystalline aliens, as indicated by the limited Raumeni information on the subject. It invoked very peculiar feelings, hunting legends. A unique rush, of sorts. However, after five years of relentless searching, the Amoneth were nowhere to be found. Habitable (with some terraformation required, of course) worlds were discovered in what was reputed to be their region of space, but none housed any indication that they had ever been home to anything but the native and generally primitive flora/fauna. By the eighth year of the quest, both the explorers and the government despaired.

Billions of credits had been spent on what may have amounted to a myth. Angry questions were subsequently asked of the Raumen and the Phyr. Their rather persistent replies invariably pointed to very real experiences with a race of crystalline beings referred to as the 'Amoneth' - beings who had access to incredible technologies, but chose not to involve themselves with the 'younger' races, for the most part. These silicate life forms were rather proving to be an enigma, to those who sought them. Eventually, policy makers were tempted to simply label the Amoneth a 'rumor' and open up their space to exploitation. Other voices in the government vehemently rallied against such actions, arguing that encroaching on Amoneth space without knowing for certain, one way or the other, whether they still had an interest there was tantamount to suicide.

An obvious choice must now be made...

Do you... open up Amoneth space to the public, taking advantage of colonization opportunities and removing the expense of exploring their former territories from your federal budget?

OR

Do you... continue to explore their territory with government-sponsored missions only? Determined to discover the truth, you would invest an even greater sum of money into outfitting more expeditions with even better equipment.

OR

Do you... cut your losses and focus on other issues?

taplonaplo

Scholar
I'm leaning towards option C at the moment, if they don't want to be found, maybe it's better not to push it too much. I'm not certain in the current state of our economy, but i'm open to B as well, so i'll cast my vote later. Option A could lead to some serious shitstorm if the Amoneth have an environmentalist philosophy.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
We must not let ourselves be limited by a civilization that is obviously long gone. For all we know, they saw us coming and left the worlds there for us as a reward for saving the furries.

A.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Come on, man, what is this 'Amoneth' you speak of? I have not heard of them, nor encountered them ever. These are obviously empty worlds ripe for Codexian plucking.

A. Open up Amoneth space to the public, taking advantage of colonization opportunities and removing the expense of exploring their former territories from your federal budget

Radisshu

Prophet
Hm. Yeah, I'll go with A as well.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom