Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Codexian Saga LP

lightbane

Arcane
Do not worry, after this the Codexian Emperor will have enough of this shit and assume full command, and cleanse this galaxy of xenos, heretics and retards!

Frau Bishop

Erudite
Broke, one step away from civil war and no friends in the whole galaxy. Well done Fair Codexia. :salute:

Option Gamma, borrow the Greek way.
(C)

LP needs more screenshots!1!

taplonaplo

Scholar
@orgasm
That is exactly the kind of mentality that leads us nowhere. There is no point talking about what-ifs; what's done is done, we have to make due with what we ended up with. My only concern is that the majority doesn't seem to take risky steps (be it liberal or xenophobic) and opts for the middle road, and what i'm afraid of is that such apparently bad choices like this one (there's no telling we would have been able to prevent it) will make them even less risk taking, which will make our nation crawl in an everlasting stalemate of slow but steady progression.

Self-Ejected

Jack

█▓▒░
Patron
Insert Title Here
lamcgaacl.jpg

Look at this.
Generation after generation have my bloodline fought to keep this planet running.
Since 259AU, when Jack the first colonized this planet, my noble family has managed to keep this planet clean from xenos.
Ever since my great great great grandfather hired that hooker and established the honorable house of Jack we have fought for Codexia, in this council, on battleships and in invasion forces.

We might not always fall in the councils favor, but we have always been highly regarded by the people of Codexia.

What are your backgrounds?

wjw

Augur
Why all this hate for the Raumen?

In the past they have always been honorfull towards us. Certainly, they have witheld some information. But they never backstabbed us, they allowed us to prosper while they could have easily crushed us.

All in all, they have been very good neighbours, seeking only profit.
Most Councillors believe in some big Raumen conspiracy simply because they are larger and stronger than us. A war against the Raumen would only weaken us, against ANY potential nearby or even far off threat.

If we would attack them in the near future, we would have to use ALL our recources, intelligence, luck and who knows what else, just to have a slim chance on victory. And afterwards any neighbouring empire would have a perfect motivation and situation for claming the big reward.

We don't need to compromise on this decision, we could just move forward and go for A.

lightbane

Arcane
Why the hate you say? Allow me to teach you:

[...]Yes, I brought them hell! As I bring hell to all to all who are impure! So let this be a dreadful warning to you of the awful consquences of dallying with the deviant...lingering with the lycanthrope...or even - perish the thought - having truck with the extra-terrestrial!

Heed my words! Be Pure! Be Vigilant! Behave!

I implore you once again! Watch out for the werewolf at the window! The deviant at the door! The vampire up your ventilation shaft! O, you may mock! You may laugh! But you won't be laughing when you're burning in my insinerator! You won't be smirking when I take the pliers to you on the torture table!

But it's not all misery and pain and torture, brothers and sisters - although thats's 80% - for I bring you good news, too!

You're all white men now!

The human race is finally united! Out there in space are the ones to fear! The ones who are different! The foreigners! The aliens!

So let's cleanse and purify it. Let's make this galaxy of ours cleaner, purer than you ever thought possible. Let's see the stars shining bright with a snowy pure whiteness you've never known before.

Do it! Do it for Torquemada! Do it for Termight! But above all... Do it with zeal! [...]Oh, beware of books! They, too, are are the work of the deviant! The Evil One who encourages authors to write sly anti-government propaganda!

And doubly beware intelligent books! The more elequent, the more clever the tome, the more likely Nemesis himself is behind it! Never read books that make you think! For The Warlock can hide a drop of evil amidst a lake of truth!

Stick to mindless trash, I implore you! For in the universe the ultimate force is Order! Order which destroys anarchy and the screaming hordes of Khaos! And I am the ultimate incarnation of all the great men in history who have fought for that force! That is why I have been sent to Earth! That is my great mission...

I am the force made flesh!

Source: http://www.dreamnation.fsnet.co.uk/terminus/words.html
[/code]

Self-Ejected

Jack

█▓▒░
Patron
Insert Title Here
The Raumen has been our arch enemies ever since we met them.
They are no great warriors, and this time we are ready.

Even in peacetime they pose a threat to Codexia.
When we have defeated them in combat we should exterminate them completely.
Keeping the Phyr alive have almost cost us an uprising, the bugs are even craftier.

I will not be able to rest until they are all dead.

Luan

Educated
So it begins...

We must not fall prey to sunk costs. I also am inquisitive as to why many councilors hate the Raumen.
Is it simple bigotry? Are we, the mighty and proud Codexians afraid of that which is different from us?

We need our unity. Granting autonomy to our border colonies would set a precedent with ramifications too great as our empire expands further into the great dark beyond.
Though our empire NOW may only be a few hundred light years in breadth, what happens WHEN a thousand of it is autonomous?

In order to reach the stars, our ancestors were united. This is the way of Codexia, this IS Codexia.
Autonomy? Perish the thought.

I vote C, we shall borrow from our Raumeni neighbors. Let us have our stability, let us have our technology. However, we are also an honorable people and we WILL pay back them back. We are not scum. Let Codexia be an example for all Xenos far and wide.
But make no mistake, we will make examples of Xenos who cross us.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Oh god we're gonna borrow money from the jewbugs.

B. Purge. The reward for disloyalty is death.

Ashery

Prophet
praetor said:
C.

and there you have it, fools that wanted to shelter the stupid "cute teddy-bears". you decision made this happen! you wouldn't listen and now Codexia has to pay. shame on you

at least war with the lizards was averted. for now.

Bullshit.

The mistake was focusing on tech when we had the opportunity to intervene.

C is my vote for this batch. It it, by no means, a good option, but it still beats the hell out of the other two.

juggernaut

Educated
Option C. Tempted to pick B for the lulz, but borrowing from jewbugs will be interesting.

root said:
I think this thread is a fair representation of democracy at work and why it is shit. Nobody actually gets anything done to its fullest; we start with something, then compromise on the next decision with disastrous consequences. maybe we should agree on a long-term strategy of some kind instead of bickering incessantly about one-time events.

I think that's more of a function of the format the game is in - we can only react to what the Barbarian comes up with question by question. If I had a long-term strategy, I guess it would be to become allies with the crystals.

The Barbarian

Liturgist
The Barbarian will not interject in this conversation, apart from to simply say that interesting and valid points have been made.

Another update is expected in the next four hours.

And then... finally... the damned State of the Union.

laclongquan

Arcane
Holy Crap!

It seem the research gambit backfired on us. Secession, debt, and now some buggers want to borrow from the bugs! Oh the inhumanity of it all!

PURGE! Let the purge begin! Let fire consume all! Let the blood purify us from our sins!

As a side note: From start to finish I always aim toward a Codexia the interestellar superpower. So it make no sense to let the young bloods secede. And borrowing from aliens has some dangerous flavour that I dont like. Much as I hate it, it's time for the sword.

I know , this solution still might well lead to mutiny of the army and fleet, and the secession. But We have no better choice.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
It's more lulzy.

Besides, all great nations have had their civil wars.

The War of the Roses.

The American Civil War.

The Horus Heresy.

laclongquan

Arcane
Going into debts with those Raumen mean the buglovers faction will gain stronger ground in Senate. And I always suspect those buggers are in the pocket of Raumen. So no!

As to civil war, it's unavoidable. Which is the country that can avoid that? Which is the world that can avoid that? Which interstellar entity can avoid that?

Self-Ejected

Jack

█▓▒░
Patron
Insert Title Here
I think you do have a point, all I want is to see the bug's homeworld burn.
I change my vote to B, we will purge Codexia from heretics.

We do not ask for help, we do not give the rebel what he wants, we do not forgive.

Self-Ejected

Jack

█▓▒░
Patron
Insert Title Here
We do not destroy the heretic because he resists us: so long as he resists us we never destroy him.
We convert him, we capture his inner mind, we reshape him.
We burn all evil and all illusion out of him;
we bring him over to our side, not in appearance, but genuinely, heart and soul.

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
C

Let's beggar ourselves. Or at least attempt to. Who is to say the Raumen will actually extend to us the economic aid we require? Last we heard, they were luke-warm because of how we handled the furry situation.

But we can at least try.
I too, foresee heavy consequences from this. But all three choices bear consequences. At least this option seems to solidify the unity of the codexians, and might even plant the seed for further resentment of the bug-people..

Teach our people to hate being reliant of the Raumen, and we have planted the seed for our future emancipation from them.
Ohyes. Codexianity is aggressive and xenophobic at heart. We all know we'll eventually enter into a war with the Raumen. We do not like being kept in the dark, as we most assuredly were about the bears and lizards. Who trusts them now?

Why not take their money, while simultaneously plotting their demise?

Self-Ejected

Jack

█▓▒░
Patron
Insert Title Here
The very same thoughts went trough my mind when I heard the options, but remembering how manipulative and treacherous the bugs are, they could pose a threat if we allowed ourselves to stand in their debt.

The Barbarian

Liturgist
Dreams of the Future

The most damning indictment resulting from the Codexian civil crisis of 223-225AU was that it proved, conclusively, that any attempt at interstellar government - even under Codexia's relatively decentralized and inclusive system - was the ultimate exercise in the delicate balancing of interests, priorities and the allocation of perpetually limited resources toward the satisfaction of the aforementioned. We had come to within a few ill-chosen words short of a war pitting human against human; brother against brother, for the first time in almost three centuries. Salvaging the situation, as it stood in 224AU, required vision, finesse and, most of all, MONEY. Copious, jaw-dropping quantities of it. Enough to satiate the gaping maw of existing social and colonization programs for entire election campaigns to come. Enough to buy off hundreds of politicians and their endless entourages - the men and women who would clamp down on separatist dissent, and make it look like it was the dissenters' own idea.

And so, the Codexian government appealed to the Raumen. Trillions of credits were humbly requested... and grudgingly handed over at painful interest rates. It would prove to be just enough. Eventually, the fires of Leonid sputtered out, and the tendrils of rebellion were choked to death by the power of suddenly limitless currency. By 230AU, Codexianity seemed back on track. The shadow of planetary proto-nationalism still haunted domestic policies for many years following the crisis, to be sure. However, at least this dangerous realization of self-identity no longer asked questions of Codexia's sovereign integrity. It turned into an ever-present background noise; always buzzing, to one's irritation, but not loud enough to warrant drastic action. All in all, it was now abundantly clear that much of Codexianity no longer had an inborn loyalty to the homeplanet, or its ruling government. The underlying problem was not resolved - its resolution had been postponed until the next great stress test for the Codexian state.

Perhaps the only truly positive outcome of the whole episode was an extraordinary scientific development in 223AU.

Is this discovery... a true AI? Capable of controlling everything from production floors to combat vessels, it signals a quantum leap in computing and systems management, amongst a host of other fields. Its implications are astounding.

OR

Is this the discovery of... a brand new synthesized mineral? Not only will it prove immensely profitable on both the domestic and the interstellar market, it also has the added benefit of increasing the explosive power of your missiles at least two-fold, and the sublight speed of your vessels significantly.

OR

Is this the discovery of... an ancient hulk of unknown origin in the orbit of a lonely star in the Colonial Expanse? The hulk may yield secrets beyond imagination in years to come - or it may prove completely useless.

OR

Is this the discovery of... a small and heavily damaged Turanei vessel, courtesy of the Phyr? It would reveal a great deal about the true state of Turanei technology, were it properly examined by experienced Codexian techs.

OR

Is this discovery... the humble beginning of a super-weapon program? Though the journey is long, the reward at the end might be worth it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom