Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Codexian Saga LP

laclongquan

Arcane
Tsk!

The demobilization of army and fleet will lead to huge supply of skilled manpower. If you dont focus on building economy NOW unrest may result in this case.

It's the basic thing, really.

The Barbarian

Liturgist
Lads, the Barbarian must be firm about this: Flashpoints, such as the Raumen War, will not extend into eternity. Mega-scale choices will be just as common, and will advance the timeline considerably until the next Flashpoint. Like he said before, the game is not truly open ended.

Pax Codexiana

It was a long road back from ruin. The aftermath of the Raumen War was devastating. Millions of industrial workers were turned over to the general workforce during the de-mobilization – and promptly found themselves unemployed, and without the means to support their families properly. Funding dried up for the defence forces and military R&D in particular, as a variety of embryonic projects were shelved or outright discarded. Services and social welfare were slashed, to cover the gaping hole in the government’s finances. Those were hard times. The brutal conflagration of years previous had simply drained the government’s purse, the public’s confidence and the economy’s lifeblood. It would take years to recover, and to explain why it had all been worthwhile. All available resources were expended on hastening this process.

Colonization was encouraged and subsidized in an effort to funnel and ‘up-skill’ the vast reservoir of redundant soldiers and labourers. Major infrastructural projects were begun, in order to provide baseline paid work for millions. Small business loans and micro-finance was guaranteed for those eligible, in the hope that they would forge their own way ahead. Slowly, bit by bit, and year by painful fiscal year, the tide turned. Meagre economic growth was recorded in 157AU. By 160AU it was up to 6.5%. For many thousands, however, it proved to be too little, and too late. They struck out on privately funded surveying and colonization missions, hoping to escape government control and, of course, taxation. Many were lost to the void. In other cases, the government was forced to put down public resistance – mostly in the hardest hit areas of Codexia itself.

Yet by 165AU the troubles were thankfully subsiding. Trade between Codexia and the Confederacy flourished and, though the Raumeni proved to be cutthroat merchants of the highest (some would say lowest) order, the volume of goods crossing the agreed boundary lines ultimately benefited both parties. Time passed. Codexia’s colonies grew and developed by both natural means and the exertions of the central government. In 182AU, the Codexian government was finally afforded the opportunity to learn of their other galactic neighbours (at least, those the Raumeni maintained contact with or knew about), as Codexianity’s sphere expanded to over four hundred lightyears, and began approaching the territories of the races in question.

Though the rulers of the Codexian state were unhappy about the reticence of the Raumeni to reveal this information for over three decades, the Raumeni ambassador waved away their protests by claiming that they had only been protecting the young power from its own aggressive tendencies. The existence of three other regional powers was revealed. Firstly, there were the Turanei; a race of powerful, winged reptilians who exhibited intensely xenophobic tendencies, coupled with an unfortunate predisposition toward emotional instability. Secondly, there were the Phyr; vaguely ursine, six-limbed creatures possessed of primitive technology, but vast in number and ambition. Lastly, the Amoneth: enigmatic, crystalline creatures controlling an indeterminate area of space.

Knowledge of this frightening alien menagerie gave rise to the obvious question: what will Codexia do with this information?

Do you...

A. Expand in the direction of the Turanei with a view toward making contact.

B. Expand in the direction of the Phyr with a view toward making contact.

C. Expand in the direction of the Amoneth, with a view toward making contact.

D. Expand elsewhere, purposefully avoiding contact with these new races.

E. As above (D), but also begin disengaging from the Raumen, whose merchants are establishing monopolies in your markets and making money off the backs of your citizens. Filthy insects.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Told you those bugs are scammers not to be trusted. :evil:

Well, we have new targets. But have we made any technological advances since the Raumen War, or are we still using the same old ships? It's dangerous to approach the Turanei or Phyr if our military has not advanced much.

I'm undecided. I will vote on this later.

Black Cat

Magister
D, since the last thing we need right now is another war, and in the worst case finding a trade partner not yet discovered by the other guys would be cool for us. The bugs are cute, though, why be mean to them? So just D and not E.

laclongquan

Arcane
E. with modification toward C.

Filthy Insects! They are the prey for our greedy merchants and industrialists, not the predators. And those Phyr look like easy marks.

DEstroy Raumen's monopolies is priority, contact with Phyr stand behind that.

The Barbarian

Liturgist
But have we made any technological advances since the Raumen War

The voting body can assume that the Barbarian will specify any quantum leaps in technology, or significant changes in relative technological levels. As such, the gap between the Raumen and Codexianity is narrower than it was during the Raumen War, but it has not been bridged.

Cutting military R&D to the bone in order to fund failing social programs had a lot to do with that. You people are the Gates' of the Codexian universe.

:smug:

juggernaut

Educated
Option C, they sound pretty interesting and would probably have some weird tech.

The Barbarian said:
Juggernaut:

As far as the Barbarian is aware, there is no Codexia, either. :smug:

Well, sure, but you used a real life location to lend your story a greater degree of verisimilitude right? Which is half the point of science fiction anyway. I have no problem with wyrmholing around and fighting bugs, because that's the fiction part, but the science behind Proxima Centauri has ruled out the possibility of it being a binary system. So if you refer to it having a partner, then you are talking about an alternative universe rather than a possible future of our own. Which is fine, it's your story, but I think you weren't going for that.

I think this is a good thread, and the only reason I'm nitpicking is because I think you are a good writer.

Self-Ejected

Jack

█▓▒░
Patron
Insert Title Here
I think we better focus on improving our fleets.
The day will come when a hightech, battle-ready armada will be the difference between life and death.

I'm not yet sure how we should accomplish that.
We could sell Phyr technology to gain more resources or we could isolate ourselves and work on our ships in the dark.

I have not decided yet.

jamafaaci.jpg

The Barbarian

Liturgist
I think this is a good thread, and the only reason I'm nitpicking is because I think you are a good writer.

Don't get Conan wrong, he appreciates the nitpicking - it keeps him honest. He was being facetiously delicious. Forgive, Juggernaut.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
:decline:

Codexia is now a liberalfag regime. Well, I have absolutely no idea what disengaging from the Raumeni market will do to our own economy, seeing as we apparently decided to go full buddy buddy with them and liberalize trade to such an extent that their merchants are allowed unfettered monopolies.

They could unwittingly send us into a financial death spiral without any malicious intentions. Best to keep the status quo with the Raumen for now. We know them and know how to negotiate with them.

We need to have more cards. Right now we have an empty hand. However, it is also risky to expand towards uncharted areas. Who knows what horrors lurk in the depth of space? We are not yet ready. Of the three, the ones that pose the least threat to us, militarily and culturally, are the Phyr.

B. Expand in the direction of the Phyr.

With any luck we can monopolize their markets... if the Raumen have not yet done so.

edit: Furthermore, they are ambitious. Being a more primitive culture, they may likely be easier for us to manipulate than the Raumen. This will be useful in creating a military buffer if necessary.

Self-Ejected

Jack

█▓▒░
Patron
Insert Title Here
treave said:
With any luck we can monopolize their markets... if the Raumen have not yet done so.

edit: Furthermore, they are ambitious. Being a more primitive culture, they may likely be easier for us to manipulate than the Raumen. This will be useful in creating a military buffer if necessary.
Good point.
B.

Hopefully there won't be a contact war.

laclongquan

Arcane
Actually no!

My Phyr strategy depend on whether we can manipulate them into fighting the bugs and the mysterious races for us. Those xenophob is too dangerous, and them mysterious is just mysterious.

you think the war with bug is over? Not hardly! It's just beginning in chapter 1. The prologue end with a disappointing paragraph, so I didnt accept that.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Glorious Codexianity shall Ascend in a gloriously glorious Ascension of glory.

But, as always, proceed with caution first.

To ensure successful diplomacy we can put war hero Jack in charge of the First Contact fleet so that he may score himself some hot, six-limbed bear ladies.

Self-Ejected

Jack

█▓▒░
Patron
Insert Title Here
I'll make you proud, admiral treave.

The Barbarian, you are truly an individual worthy of great respect.

Angthoron

Arcane
I see that the Codexians are indeed the one race truly fascinated by the Phyrries. Well, little sense to argue with that, so B it is.

I can't believe that the Codexians chose to line their own pockets with economical bounty and left our research effort in ruin! For shame, citizens, for shame.

laclongquan

Arcane
It's not any thing like fascination with furries or all that jazz. We are tracking the easiest marks to make some money to pay for new research and new fleets. It's expensive, you know.

But a word of caution is that the bugs know them longer, so there's a chance they infiltrated that market already. Still, we need to look them over.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
I tried, Field Marshal, I tried.

I wonder if there will be any religious fanaticism events that arise in the future.

Just in case, I'd really like to pump up our military when we have the chance. It's nice to know you have the advantage of falling back on some really big guns when all else fails.

edit: The bugs may know them longer, but optimistically we may be able to offer these furries things that the bugs can't. SHINY BEADS. LOTS AND LOTS OF SHINY BEADS, churned out by the billions in our industrious factories. At a cost of 0.05 credit per bead, we trade it for the equivalent of 50 credits! SHINY BEADS!

A Codexian can dream.

wjw

Augur
B seems the safest choice ... However I do am afraid that there will be little for us to gain in a trade relationship with them. The Amoneth are probably the race with the most interesting technology... And since they aren't particulary hostile towards the Raumen, we might make contact with them. Risky, but perhaps more beneficial on the long term.

I vote C.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
In terms of trade advantages, I am sure their worlds have natural resources we may exploit. Contacting an alien race with far superior technology may result in great technological osmosis to our advantage, but as they are inscrutable we have no idea whether they may attack us for some alien reason, or ignore us altogether. Best to approach them when we have managed some measure of success on our own.

Are you saying our scientists are not good enough to make death-dealing instruments of mercy with which to smite our alien foes, and instead we have to rely on alien sympathy *spits* where they teach us things, huh? Huh? HUH?

Self-Ejected

Jack

█▓▒░
Patron
Insert Title Here
I just hope that we gain enough so that we can fuel our warmachine if we choose to fight the bugs.

We could use the Phyr as cannon fodder.
I want to smell the bugs' fear as we set fire to their colonies.

Angthoron

Arcane
I would urge the Council to be careful when dealing with the Phyrries. As the analysis states, they are an ambitious race not unlike our own, and in a sense they do remind of our own humble beginnings.

We should be careful to neither spite them too much nor offer them too much of a technological gain, for it is hard to say whether or not they will turn on their partners and benefactors in a surprise attack, pouring out of Phyrmholes of their own.

I also support Councillor Treave's motion for Bigger Guns but wish to urge that the Codexian council also considers increasing the funding of such important projects as FTL flight and countless other technologies we've recovered and conceived during the war.

A trading nation is nothing if their trade vessels aren't supported by guns and knowledge. Big, knowledgeable guns are the future, ladies and gentlemen.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom