Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Recommend Some Games

dx__

Educated
Here's what I currently own:

Age of Wonders 2 (both Shadow Magic & Wizard's Throne), Arcanum, Temple of Elemental Evil, BG 1 & 2, Deus Ex, Hearts of Iron 2, Civilization IV + all expansions, Planescape, Silent Storm, STALKER: SoC, and Starcraft.

What should I get my hands on? I'm fucking bored, and have no idea what to play. I've taken to playing on the 3d remake of Final Fantasy IV on my girlfriend's DS.

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
lovefallout.gif

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Rise of Nations.

VtM: Bloodlines.

Icewind Dale.

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
Thief and Hitman series, and the other two Stalker games. CS was so-so and CoP was awesome, so get only the latter if you have to choose.

Fallout 3. If it crashes and you have an ATI card, use the display driver from April 09 and it won't crash again. (Older games are usually more stable with older drivers, because video card manufacturers continually update their drivers to work as well as possible with the CURRENT games. This means that after a year or two, they no longer work very well with OLDER games. The mantra that you should always keep your drivers up-to-date is a funny manboon myth if we're talking about display drivers.)

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Based on what you currently own, I've given the best suggestions so far. FYI.

desocupado

Magister
Disconnected said:
FreeOrion or UFO: Alien Invasion maybe?

I downloaded Alien Invasion some time ago, and I thought it was still a work in progress. How is the game now, is it enjoyable?

laclongquan

Arcane
If you havent played Fallout 2 yet, you could give Fallout 1 a try. Otherwise dont bother. Fallout Tactics worth playing in its own right, mostly because FT fans scream for moar until they found Silent Storm games.

Alpha Centaury (and Alien Crossfire) is an immense world builder game that certainly worth a look at the very least.

catfood

AGAIN
If you already have AOW 2 (and enjoyed them?) then get AOW 1 as well. The mechanics are different and it has a very nice non-linear campaing which will keep you occupied for quite some time.

Disconnected

Scholar
desocupado said:
I downloaded Alien Invasion some time ago, and I thought it was still a work in progress. How is the game now, is it enjoyable?

It's still a work in progress, but it is perfectly playable and a lot of fun. Just make sure you download the latest development build from the forums. The public build (or whatever they call it) is very, very outdated (by 20 months or something). The latest development builds will have a few bugs, but it shouldn't be anything serious. What's missing in them is mostly polish. The content is pretty much complete.

FreeOrion is in nowhere near as finished a state. It's playable and stuff, but only something like 60% of the intended game is in right now. Again, development build. Get the latest one. And try to resist the temptation to check out the fancy new battle stuff, because it's only semi-implemented right now and trying to run it will cause all sorts of critical errors.

dx__

Educated
Paula Tormeson IV said:
Fallout 3. If it crashes and you have an ATI card, use the display driver from April 09 and it won't crash again. (Older games are usually more stable with older drivers, because video card manufacturers continually update their drivers to work as well as possible with the CURRENT games. This means that after a year or two, they no longer work very well with OLDER games. The mantra that you should always keep your drivers up-to-date is a funny manboon myth if we're talking about display drivers.)

Tried, but kept crashing everytime I'd hit VATS. Nvidia driver bluescreen.

If you already have AOW 2 (and enjoyed them?) then get AOW 1 as well. The mechanics are different and it has a very nice non-linear campaing which will keep you occupied for quite some time.

I'll give it a look.

If you havent played Fallout 2 yet, you could give Fallout 1 a try. Otherwise dont bother. Fallout Tactics worth playing in its own right, mostly because FT fans scream for moar until they found Silent Storm games.

Alpha Centaury (and Alien Crossfire) is an immense world builder game that certainly worth a look at the very least.

I've played all Fallouts, though I've never beaten 3 due to the nvidia bsods. AC is pimp, and I guess I forgot about that one. Hopefully, it still works on XP (and soon to be 7).

Rise of Nations.

VtM: Bloodlines.

Icewind Dale.

RoN is probably the best RTS I've played thus far, though I was disappointed with its sequel, Rise of Legends. Bloodlines got boring (I get bored quickly with FPS games). Icewind Dale is a good timesink, I guess. Should find a copy of that, too.

Another one of the ones I forgot that I owned via GoG.

Warcraft 3 and Frozen Throne?

I liked it at first, but then I lost my taste for it. I hate the timed missions. Otherwise, I doubt I'd have too much a problem with it.

Thief and Hitman series, and the other two Stalker games. CS was so-so and CoP was awesome, so get only the latter if you have to choose.

Thief started fucking up when I upgraded my geforce 6150SE to a geforce 9600gt, so I slit my wrists for a bit about that one. Hitman was a series I could never get into, unfortunately. I always end up getting bored and gunning everyone down.

I've heard horrible things about CS and only good things about CoP but am not sure if my 9600gt is capable of handling CoP. Will give it a look, though, because STALKER is one of my favourites.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Civilization 2 ToT
Civilization 3 (with all expansions)
Alpha Centauri (and yes it works perfectly on 7 - just use the ForceOldVoxelAlgorithm=1 if you have a fairly new processor)

are a must. Civ4 is inferior to all of them. And all of them are pretty different in terms of gameplay.

Also Colonization while we are at it.

Master of Orion 2

Realms of Arkania 2 & 3 if you are into some puzzle+encounters dungeon crawling RPGs (they are turn-based and have p. fun combat) and like to spend a day or two creating your party

Age of Wonders 1 is pretty good too. It's very different from its sequel which is good. However you'll have to live with an annoying late-game disbalance when it comes to heroes. One level 20 hero can single-handedly kill two of your parties. It isn't gamebreaking though but can be annoying. The AI is also better. It won't sell you everything but its capital like in a sequel.

Blade Runner - if you liked the movie and don't mind a normal adventure game (meaning no boring item collecting with retarded logic). It's a very true spinoff to the movie and is also very non-linear.

Thief games - there are fanpatches I think that make them playable on modern systems. One even makes Thief 2 run in 32 bit which eliminates ugly dithering. Runs fine on my GTX260

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom