Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Is Thief worth the time?

Callaxes

Arbiter
MetalCraze said:
And finally even Terry motherfucking Pratchett loves it.

W-w-what? Really? I'm going to google that.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
He posted on ttlg or on the mailing list ages ago (for help with fan missions no less).

Anyway, after playing the original games you will realize there are about 200 fan missions (many of very high quality) that give about 300 (minimum) hours of sneaking action, and push the dark engine to the max.

http://www.southquarter.com/category/t2/

The modders, having exploited the engine to the max without exe patches (they don't have a assembly hacker like PS:T), now are making a new engine just for the fan missions (go figure) based on doom 3 engine (is going to be opensource).

They are maybe the only fan mission community on the net that is uplifting themselves.

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
LazyD said:
Someone recently gave me all three.

Are they worth the time? Yes/No with explanation pl0x

Fuck yes.

Best stealth games, AI is still among the best of them (was pretty advanced for its time), non linear levels never matched in another stealth game, very atmospheric if you can get over the graphics (and if you can't you're a faggot), setting is coherent and pretty cool, also main character is an asshole and that's pretty awesome obviously, different difficulty levels provide different experiences... T1 is known for the wacky levels that are sometimes appreciated and sometimes criticized, you might not appreciate them at first, but when you get more experience with the games they should appear in a more positive light (provides more diversity, etc). T2 is a bit more bland (and that's when you realise the originality of T1), but overall I guess it's the better game. T3 is well you know what the resident anti-console faggots think about it, I didn't like it either but it could have been worst, I guess if you want to see how the story ends, sure. Don't forget all the awesome fan missions, and I'm quite serious about that, no joking

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
MetalCraze said:
A big plus is that many modder maps are of the same quality as dev ones.

Some of them (not many though) are even better than the dev maps.

DriacKin

Arbiter
Gragt said:
Thief is pretty much the only game with stealth done right. Some games may have an interesting take on it, like Deus Ex, Beyond Good & Evil, Batman: Arkham Asylum, or even Splinter Cell, but Thief is still the reference to which all others are compared.
imo, Hitman 4 was a very good stealth game. Not as good as Thief 1 or 2, but still pretty darn good.

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
kingcomrade said:
If you like games where you spend most of your time looking at the patrol routes of people who walk at a snail's pace I'm sure you'll love them.

I love you man, because you're a human being.

Zomg

Arbiter
This is bad but I got bored playing through the first real level after the tutorial level (Thief 1). Then I read T2 was the really good one, so I put T1 aside and have been not-bothering to get a copy of T2 ever since.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Thief will work in multiple playstyles.

The best experience in the game is being completely unseen - though some disagree.

You can battle your way through (possible yes)
You can bonk heads through (popular)
You can run away through (hard, nerve wracking)
You can kill from shadows (some levels)
You can distract and avoid.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
KC's complaint is valid, though. I'd still say yes, but you need to be patient and just enjoy the sort of LARP-like thrill of not being spotted. If you don't it is probably a bore-fest.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
Jasede said:
KC's complaint is valid, though. I'd still say yes, but you need to be patient and just enjoy the sort of LARP-like thrill of not being spotted. If you don't it is probably a bore-fest.

I'm not sure if KC was refering Thief or Hitman.

catfood

AGAIN
The original Thief is only my favorite game of all time. Great HUGE levels, cool main character and setting and awesome gameplay mechanics. Don't listen to the idiots saying some of the levels are bad because they have zombies and dinosaurs in them, those are some of the best designed in the game (such as mission 3).
Thief 2 is also good but you can eventually get bored of human guards and the robots are by far the dumbest enemies in the series.
Thief 3 is ok for a console but it does have the Cradle level which makes up for most of the game's other flaws.

Longshanks

Augur
Don't listen to the portable Nintento gaming system - he lies. Play all three. Only one you could skip would be 3, but it's still better than most post 2000 games, and definitely worth playing.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Gragt said:
Ah, I never tried the Hitman serie.

If you like the "social" stealth somewhat in a Jason Bourne way you should give series a try. 1st and 4th parts are the best as they are really sandboxy (even though AI suffers somewhat in the 1st), 3rd is basically a meh-remake of the 1st with some new missions thrown in and 2nd one is too shooty.

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
All Hitman games are great - I think the first regressed more to shooting than the second imo (at least, in quite a few levels the stealthy options were less-than-obvious and at times a real bitch to pull off, compared to just killing everyone). Those damn jungle levels especially.

Contracts got bonus points for DARK, GRITTY AND MATURE, but I guess if you were to play all the games now at once, the remakes of levels from earlier games would probably be more annoying than cool. Was sweet at the time tho.

Felix

Arcane
http://www.computerandvideogames.com/ar ... ?id=143656
What do you make of The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion? What have been your favourite moments?
I'm a thief and an assassin, and treat the game as a continuation of the Thief universe. I'm in it for the sneaking, but I like the free form nature of the game, the fact that you can ignore the quests and set off into this big, complex world. You really can explore. All the best moments have been in the shadows. Pick pockets, open locks, creep away.
I'll just leave this here.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom