Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Getting Thief 2 to work on Windows XP

I've had a copy of Thief 2 and 3 packaged together sitting on my desk for a while. It's going to be a while before I play it, as I've got a playthrough of JA2 to finish, and I intend to purchase the Void after that, but I do want to play them at some stage, and with so many saying that Thief 3 is the 'crap' one, I'd rather start with Thief 2.

Trouble is, I can't get the damn thing to work on my system. It installs ok, but crashes when the first level loads up. I've got a good system, with Windows XP and a Nvidea GTX280 - does anyone know whether the system or video card causes known problems with Thief 2? Are there patches that can be downloaded to fix it? Or is it just a random 'the game hates my system' error and I'm shit out of luck?

MetalCraze

Arcane
Here how I play Thief 2 under WinXP:

1. Install Thief2
2. Play
3. Don't buy shitty useless new videocards

Did you set affinity to a single core? Only crashes I experienced were caused by multiple CPU cores. I don't think your video card has anything to do with it.

spekkio

Arcane
FFS ATC, maybe try this google thing next time?

PROTIP

Also:
Darth Roxor said:
After you're finished with Thief 2, you should also check out 3. Many say it's 'teh dumbed downz' but I found it to be pretty solid and enjoyable.

You can also try fan-made expansion to T2
T2X - Shadows of the Metal Age

If you have to play one fan-made expansion, it should be this one, great quality.

spekkio said:
FFS ATC, maybe try this google thing next time?

PROTIP

Also:
Darth Roxor said:
After you're finished with Thief 2, you should also check out 3. Many say it's 'teh dumbed downz' but I found it to be pretty solid and enjoyable.

You can also try fan-made expansion to T2
T2X - Shadows of the Metal Age

If you have to play one fan-made expansion, it should be this one, great quality.

Yes yes, my apologies for not searching more thoroughly. I actually did do a search of the Codex threads, given the love that this place seems to have for the Thief series, and figured if there wasn't any threads here then there probably wasn't a 'common knowledge' website around.

spekkio

Arcane
Proper self-criticism, comrade.

be027402.jpg

abstract

Scholar
If all else fails, rename your thief2 executable to thief2_.exe. It's dumb but it works.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Darth Roxor said:
http://www.ttlg.com/Forums/showthread.php?t=121449

Also, after you're finished with Thief 2, you should also check out 3. Many say it's 'teh dumbed downz' but I found it to be pretty solid and enjoyable.

Thief 3 being dumbed down is not the biggest problem I have with the game. I'm playing it these days, and what I'm finding is a bug-filled regression from Thief 2. Atrociously ugly females (every woman's face looks like she's Lizzie Borden in mid-chop) with transparent hair are the norm. The loading times are really beginning to annoy me, but not as much as the "free-falling" bug, where I find myself floating around instead of walking, unable to jump or use inventory objects.

And the game is pathetically easy, even on Expert.

Sure, it's worth a look, but don't expect anything that's an improvement over the first two games.

Good Ol' Drog

Educated
I liked the atmosphere of Thief 3, there was a lot of trippy shit. And the graphics were pretty good back in the day (although they ran like shit because of poor optimization).

Also, Shalebridge Cradle. You have to see this level for yourself.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Yes, you definitely should play that level. It's the only reason I bought Thief 3. And it was worth every cent.

Lothers

Scholar
Good Ol' Drog said:
I liked the atmosphere of Thief 3, there was a lot of trippy shit. And the graphics were pretty good back in the day (although they ran like shit because of poor optimization).

Also, Shalebridge Cradle. You have to see this level for yourself.

Sunken Citadel and the mission in Pagans Base are also quite good. Overall Thief 3 for me was very enjoyable.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom