Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Divinity 2 is Out

Berekän

A life wasted
Patron
Gwendo said:
I agree with point 4. When I level up my character, I want to feel like he's more powerful, not just barely able to keep going on.

That was a problem in Oblivion too, with its level scaling. And you all criticized it. There's no level scaling in this game, but the problem remains, because the game has a linear structure where all enemies get stronger as you get stronger as well.

I played until the bit before you get the tower and that's not really true. Sure, enemies get thougher as you progress, well, that happens in every game out there, but you could "get out the tracks" and get straight for the tougher ones, I ended fighting enemies 6 lvls ahead of mine and then rushing the goblins that were back then.

Gwendo

Augur
My point was the opposite: I can't find enemies clearly weaker than me. For some reason, I keep finding enemies as tough or even tougher than me. It seems there's a geographic distribution of toughness.

I know gameplay would be boring if after some point everything were easier. But I think that making it more balanced by making enemies tougher is artificial and not that appealing. At least there could be some weaker enemies on the way, showing how you are now more powerful than before.

Tolknaz

Augur
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
I tried the demo yesterday. Although it is crippled by a level cap its size is still quite impressive in this day and age. The performance is shit though. I wonder how much worse the full game performs. I have a core 2 duo e8400, 4 gb ram, geforce 8800 gts and a raptor 2 hdd and run windows7 64 bit. No matter the resolution or settings i get these little pauses every few seconds. It's nothing gamebreaking, but still annoying enough. Almost as bad as Gothic 3.

The good:
I really like the art design of the game, it's much better than dragon age for example.
The music is another good thing. The tracks i've heard are almost as good as DivDiv music and that is saying something.
The humour.
There is no noticeable level scaling. You can stray from the path and get your ass handed to you in a heartbeat. Come back a few levels later and you can really own those pesky beasties though. Just what the doctor ordered.
Mindreading is an interesting concept. Contrary to what someone said in the other thread i think it is implemented rather well. Sure, most of the time you can only influence merchant prices, or learn the location of keys or items, but sometimes you can also learn some useful information that lets you complete quests in different way etc.

The bad:
Inventory system sucks. How the hell did larian come up with that kind of clusterfuck after DivDiv that had an almost perfect inventory?
The camera gets the job done, but it's not great by any means. An ability to scroll out would be great, but that would probably make the game perform even more like shit.

Overall i mostly enjoyed the demo. Judging by it the game is nowhere near as captivating as DivDiv was, but it's still one of the best ARPG-s i have ever played. Its real problems are mostly technical and cosmetic, but once you get past them you may find something to like here. Of course i haven't really played the full game yet, but if it's anywhere near as good as the demo suggests we may have a winner here.

Edit: sorry for posting this in the wrong thread by the way. I just saw that there is a separate thread for the demo.

Suchy

Arcane
One question before I bother with the demo:
Is this actually a RPG with decent story/characters/dialogue or just Diablo-like h&s crap?

Tolknaz

Augur
Patron
It is not a rpg. It is arpg. It is NOT a diablo clone however. Don't know much about the story yet.

Good Ol' Drog

Educated
Tolknaz said:
Inventory system sucks. How the hell did larian come up with that kind of clusterfuck after DivDiv that had an almost perfect inventory?
Huh, what? I always hated DivDiv's gridless inventory, items would often overlap each other and get lost. Here we finally have a classic grid based inventory, although the grid itself never dictates how many items you can carry (there's a max items limit, it's 100 by default, and stackables count as 1). What's exactly wrong with it?

Suchy said:
One question before I bother with the demo:
Is this actually a RPG with decent story/characters/dialogue or just Diablo-like h&s crap?
It's more like Gothic. Meaning there's a lot of dialog, some decent C&C and a big story. It's not just a grinding game, of course. Hell, it doesn't even have respawning enemies (as it was mentioned earlier).

Suchy

Arcane
It's more like Gothic. Meaning there's a lot of dialog, some decent C&C and a big story. It's not just a grinding game, of course. Hell, it doesn't even have respawning enemies (as it was mentioned earlier).
Sounds good, I'll give it a try.

Tolknaz

Augur
Patron
I should probably have been more specific. It's both the lack of inventory operations and UI, that i don't like. What i meant is you can't interact with containers other than take stuff. You can't put something you carry in a container for example, nor carry any containers in your inventory like you could in DivDiv. I didn't like the gridless inventory of DivDiv in the beginning too i must confess, but the overall robustness of the system was great.

Good Ol' Drog

Educated
Ah, yes. You can take something from a container, but can't put it back. If you don't want an item in your inventory, the only choice is to sell or destroy it, in the first half of the game.

You get a stash later, though, and then you can just send items to it with a simple click from your inventory.

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
1) the game did run without problem, no lag, instantaneous load/save times, I had a few random crashes after hours of playing though.. a few, not Witcher-like
2) I didn't encounter ANY bugs (that made you being stuck or whatever)
3) I didn't notice ANY levelscaling (also not how Drog described), every area has certain enemies which have a certain level, either you can handle them or you have to come back later
4) at least in my game there came a certain point (lvl 28 onwards) where enemies (except certain bosses) could no longer damage me (sensible crafting), killing 1000s of enemies that can't scratch you quickly gets old
5) I predict that the majority of you won't finish the game, to grind through all the flying fortresses in Divinity 2, derp roads are childs play in comparison
6) speaking of the endgame and all the flying fortresses - the game deteriorated into a boring and repetitive grindfest, the best part is the early part pre-dragonform it goes downhill afterwards imo

Saxon1974

Prophet
So does the Hivemind think this is worth a purchase?

What do fans of the original DD think?

Im leaning towards waiting for the price to drop some before getting it.

Lesifoere

Liturgist
It's a lot more fun than Dragon Age until you hit the flying fortresses.

The writing is much, much, much worse than TW's. Less c&c, for that matter; most quests have multiple solutions, but few if any affect the main storyline or lead to another quest changing significantly later.

godsend1989

Scholar
Divinity: Original Sin
The game its all about fun, like the man who loves pigs and have pictures of them all over his house, or the ancient dragon sealed in the underground and then all the sudden some dragon slayers start to move like power rangers lol i couldn't believe my eyes but yes, it is a funny game, the graphics are for teens but the quest are larian style.

Suchy

Arcane
Shoulderpads. Oh God, the shoulderpads...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom