Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wolfenstein is actually pretty neat

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
I think Wolf is probably the best out of the 3 Doom 3 engine games. Doom 3 was kind of lame, I really liked Quake 4, but Wolfenstein was really fun to play. I played it once and was a little underwhelmed a while ago on a pirated version, but my dad got it for Christmas and I've played it through. First of all, a much better physics engine than either two of the others combined with a reaaaaally detailed environment with tons of stuff to blow up and blow around makes the environment really interactive.

I can't say I enjoyed the scavenger hunt parts, but I do have to admit that it's been part of Wolfenstein since at least Wolf 3d and it wasn't that bad and it actually does give you a reason to explore beyond Quake 4's idea of just having spare ammo around. And the environments ARE really pretty.

The real reason I enjoyed the game is pretty much one of two factors that decide whether I like a game. The guns are great. They're cool to use, sound good (especially the high-tech weapons), they blow shit around, seem reasonably balanced (I mean, in terms of Single Player where gameplay balance isn't really the issue rather than "is there a gun I hate using"). The tesla coil gun is fun to use, but the gun that really does it is the Particle Cannon. That gun made me laugh every time I used it for about two hours of gameplay. Oh, and the grenades are very beefy and are actually very useful in this game, unlike in a lot of others. I enjoyed using them.

The other of the two factors is the enemies and their behavior (is it varied and visible) and how they interact with the guns, and Wolf is a bit short these two. Mostly there are few enemies who aren't just plain Nazi soldiers (or functionally equivalent, like the flame troopers). They have a battle suit where you have to shoot off 3 things on his backpack to make him asplode (you can also use the rocket launcher to just brute force things). I didn't like those enemies a lot just because of how hard the little tesla coils on his back were to hit.

I wish the Veil powers could be active for longer. They are necessary for several enemies but you have to have the timing perfect or you will just wipe because you ran out of power. There's also a lot of variability in how useful they are. The first power, which is just a general boost to visibility, speed, etc. doesn't drain much veil power at all and I found myself using it a lot. The second power you get slows down time and it sucks power pretty quick, but I used it a lot to kill the armored troopers and against the really fast enemies the tesla coil couldn't just mow down. There's an upgrade you get for it that instagibs all lesser enemies around you which was GREAT for killing the one enemy in the game who really could startle me and kill me quick (nazi ninjas) but you get that pretty late.

The third power was a shield which I rarely used just because even with the fully upgraded veil bar it sucked power way to fast to be useful for much. There's an upgrade that makes it so you can run into people and vaporize them with your shields on, but like I said you don't have the veil battery to do this much since you have to run to the enemies first before your power runs out. I almost never used this power at all, really. It doesn't protect against melee attacks either so against the more powerful nazis who are mostly melee it isn't a good panic button (aka against nazi ninjas).

The last power you get makes your aim very steady and you do like twice the damage and can shoot through the shields that the Nazi wizards can put on the troopers, and upgraded can shoot through walls. I'm pretty sure it lets you shoot the power armored guys through their armor too, I'm not sure, I didn't try. Basically every time one of the special enemies appeared I usually used this to murder them quickly because they can kill you quick.

This game also is added to my list of "games which have a flamethrower that doesn't suck" which is a little funny because RTCW was a game that really pissed me off with how the flamer behaved. The range is decent even un-upgraded, too, which is really somethin that bugs me in other games (CoD 5 for example).

It's clearly designed for a console (menu style and everything) but it works just fine on a PC and I had no complaints or, besides the menu, anything that really made me go "I wouldn't have sucked so much at that part if I'd had an xbox controller."

I'd like to mention again that I'm really impressed with how this game looks compared to Doom 3 and Quake 4. I mean, those games are several years old now, but still it's the same base engine I'm pretty sure.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
It was a fun game but I didn't like the super-tech weapons much. Finished the game with only the MP40, MP44 and K98k. I think I used some of the super-tech weapons on the final boss and rarely used the Leichenfaust, but other than that I just used the WW2 weapons and didn't use any of the powers except for normal veil mode.

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
The Veil is a cheat mode that you don't need to enter codes for. It has auto-regenerating health. A lot of the guns seem to be wierd sci-fi stuff with fewer authentic period weapons. But worst of all, you don't get to fight Hitler in an armoured mech suit.

denizsi

Arcane
And Q2 is beyond laughable when compared to the godly Q1.

So, the series has so far been a record of constant decline. Q1 (art direction, atmosphere, creativity, weapons, brutality, horror)>Q2 (multiplayer and, uh, weapons?)>Q3 (multiplayer)>Q4 (just fuck it. the whole things is cringesome)

Good Ol' Drog

Educated
denizsi said:
And Q2 is beyond laughable when compared to the godly Q1.
Not completely laughable, but yes, it is obviously inferior to Q1.
denizsi said:
So, the series has so far been a record of constant decline. Q1 (art direction, atmosphere, creativity, weapons, brutality, horror)>Q2 (multiplayer and, uh, weapons?)>Q3 (multiplayer)>Q4 (just fuck it. the whole things is cringesome)
Actually, Q1's multiplayer is more popular than Q2's. I like Q2 for its brutal cyberpunk setting and probably the best metal soundtrack in video games.

Pablosdog

Prophet
I always wondered if they would ever bother to make a third hexen game.

bhlaab

Erudite
Wolfenstein was very fun and without a doubt the best game Raven has ever made.

Doesn't hold up to Return to Castle Wolfenstein but damn it, what could! It gets close enough.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
KC is talking about the single player experience and you bring up Quake 2, the most boring game in human history? The level designer ought to be shot.

Without Romero, all the ideas left ID and they were left with nothing but brown and brown, with backtracking. Of course Romero without ID went off to make Daikatana, which we will gracefully not even discuss.

Sounds pretty damn fun, KC! I'll give it a try.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Hory said:
Single-player FPS are for no-lifers.
Look out that window!

finishedWindow06052005B.jpg

That's where your opinion went.

Hory

Erudite
Did you take the time to look for an image before or after you stopped caring about my opinion?

bhlaab

Erudite
Jasede said:
KC is talking about the single player experience and you bring up Quake 2, the most boring game in human history? The level designer ought to be shot.

Without Romero, all the ideas left ID and they were left with nothing but brown and brown, with backtracking. Of course Romero without ID went off to make Daikatana, which we will gracefully not even discuss.

Sounds pretty damn fun, KC! I'll give it a try.

The thing is that Romero didn't do the maps for Daikatana and his ideas were not altogether terrible it's just that the team was entirely staffed by amateurs and industry outsiders who didn't know what they were doing and were given 7 months to put together an epic.

In fact, looking at Daikatana on paper it sounds a lot like many games that have come out this console generation. A Co-op centric FPS with experience points you use to level up your skills, sounds familiar.

Ch1ef

Scholar
Romero just didn't know how to control his team, there was no organizational culture. Besides, his team was full of non-professional developers, there were lots of Doom and Quake modders and mappers, who didn't know what is like to work on a big projects.

bhlaab

Erudite
Ch1ef said:
Romero just didn't know how to control his team, there was no organizational culture. Besides, his team was full of non-professional developers, there were lots of Doom and Quake modders and mappers, who didn't know what is like to work on a big projects.

I'm not even sure he was that involved in the development.
That's why I don't get the people who say "John Romero is untalented! Look at Daikatana!" The reason Daikatana sucked was because Romero DIDN'T have anything to do with it besides writing up this insane pie in the sky design doc that was as thick as a chemistry textbook

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Jedi Academy was awesomeness in MP.
Still the best lightsaber duels in any game I played.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom