Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's play Arcanum, old chaps.

Coyote

Arcane
Yeah, both the camera and Bessie Toone's boot can be used later on, and with your Persuasion skill you could get Ristezze to give you the information for free, for more XP to boot. Although you have to suck up to him quite a bit. That being said, I prefer to play RPGs your way as well; sometimes I wish I could erase my memory, as it's very tempting to metagame and I seem to have a photographic memory when it comes to games (which is especially annoying when it comes to adventure games as I grew up on them and occasionally like to replay golden oldies for nostalgia's sake).

Coyote

Arcane
How so? It seems to me that the best way to make an Arcanum LP interesting is with a diplomat- or thief-type character, especially with a technological bent (since steampunk tech is pretty rare in RPGs compared to magic or super-advanced futuristic tech that basically amounts to pseudo-magic). A low-int char would be interesting since not many will have played one, but it's not the best option for showing off the game to those who haven't played it, as Fat Dragon wants to do. And a half-ogre, aside from being a race that you rarely get to play in games, is a pretty unusual pick for a gunslinger/diplomat.

(If you think that half-ogres should be all about the brute strength and lack of intelligence, that'd be one thing, but the word you used was "boring", not "aberrant" or somesuch.)

Fat Dragon

Arbiter
There won't be any updates tonight, due to holidays, I'm afraid; I just won't have enough time. I'll see if I can get one up tomorrow night once all the excitement dies down. If not then, then definitely by the next morning.

Have a good Christmas.

Reject_666_6

Arcane
Drog just released the final patch. It should be fully compatible with the savegames you have, so you should install it when you have time.

EDIT: This is assuming you're already using the old patch.

Cassidy

Arcane
ch3pic6.jpg

I always used a dynamite found in BT for that one, as it sounded a more sensible approach. The first time I played the game I thought there was a way to use the mechanics skill to sabotage it discretely.

Murk

Arcane
Coyote said:
Yeah, both the camera and Bessie Toone's boot...

Interesting -- I don't recall finding a second use for it, what is it? I had always thought it was the "correct" path for doing Ristezze's quest and not forfeiting the camera...

Coyote

Arcane
It's pretty minor, but you can sell the boot to H.T. Parnell in Tarant for a tidy profit (and possibly some extra XP, never checked). When you have the option to talk to him about objects or creatures, ask him about objects and an option to sell the boot should come up. It may be stat-based, the char I discovered it with had decent Int and one or two points in Persuasion.

Murk

Arcane
As minor as it is, it's great that there are such details. It eliminates quest-only items that become irrelevant junk when not used for their appropriate quest.

Fat Dragon

Arbiter
In this update we'll be heading off towards Tarant, Arcanum's biggest city and investigate the jewelry store, P. Schuyler and Sons.
ch4pic1.jpg

We make our way across the town's main bridge and onto Kensington Broadway, a street with a lot of shops and a tavern.
ch4pic2.jpg

ch4pic3.jpg

That woman there in the pink dress will offer you a bit of merc work if you talk to her.
ch4pic4.jpg

ch4pic5.jpg

New sidequest but we'll be doing it later. For now we'll head toward the jewelry store and advance the main quest.

On the streets there are paper boys you can buy newspapers from. Usually, they just tell you about what's happening in the world (sometimes about something you were involved in) but sometimes you'll find one that'll give you a lead on a new quest.
ch4pic6.jpg

This is one of the ones that hint towards something for you to look up. You can report what happened to the zeppelin at the Tarantian office for 500 gp, but there will be consequences with the assassin guild after you.
ch4pic7.jpg

This one here doesn't give you any leads, but it does foreshadow an event that happens much later in Tarant that you can take part in.
ch4pic8.jpg

ch4pic9.jpg

After asking around we're given directions to P. Schuyler's address on Devonshire Way. Standing by the entrance is a dwarf who also has business to attend to here.
ch4pic10.jpg

He gets easily butthurt if you bother to ask for his name, so we have to apologise if we want to get any useful info out of him.
ch4pic11.jpg

ch4pic12.jpg

ch4pic13.jpg

Fucking christ, I hate dwarves. We ask if he has any business here, and hope the dwarf yields any useful info about the Schuylers.
ch4pic14.jpg

ch4pic15.jpg

They seem like a normal popular business establishment, indeed. Maybe this guy is just being paranoid.

ch4pic16.jpg

ch4pic17.jpg

Definitely likes his conspiracy theories. He just said this is the oldest business in the city, it's quite possible for a few coincidences like this to crop up every once a blue moon or so during all those years. The owners being introverts certainly isn't nothing spectacular, and it wouldn't be far-fetched to assume some robber began stalking the women after they heard about the expensive shit they were carrying around.

Anyway, we get back on topic and ask if he's here to investigate anything as well.
ch4pic18.jpg

We tell him and in return he shows us a fancy dwarven bracelet with hieroglyphs he's investigating.
ch4pic19.jpg

ch4pic20.jpg

ch4pic21.jpg

Guess he's on a quest for family history then. We ask him about his clan but once again he starts bitching about that honor bullshit, so fuck it.

We ask him if he wants to join us on our own investigation and he agrees. No spare weapons to give him though, so he'll just have to make do with a rusty pipe I dug out of a trash bin.
ch4pic22.jpg

ch4pic23.jpg

We chat up the guy at the reception desk, but he's a bit of a dick. Thanks to our persuasion skills we're eventually able to talk to him again and scare him into giving us a key by convincing him we're Tarantian authorities. We take the key and head down stairs in search of the Schuylers.

And immediately find ourself in a tomb full of undead. Hell, maybe Magnus wasn't pulling shit out of his ass afterall.
ch4pic24.jpg

We adventure deeper into the catacombs and eventually find ourselves in an old dwarven tombs with dwarf zombie workers running around. They aren't hostile towards you, though.
ch4pic25.jpg

In the room straight ahead we finally meet the Schuylers, who are pretty pissed (understandably so).
ch4pic26.jpg

ch4pic27.jpg

We show him the signet ring, and then he strikes a bargain with us in exchange for the info we need.
ch4pic28.jpg

ch4pic29.jpg

Good question, wtf are they doing with those zombies?
ch4pic30.jpg

Ah. Necromancers using zombie workers to make their shit with after finding a tomb of exiled dwarves. Good thinking.

He proceeds to give us a big boring sob story about how no one appreciates the dark arts anymore, and then we're finally able to get back on track with the bargain.
ch4pic31.jpg

ch4pic32.jpg

ch4pic33.jpg

Sounds like a good deal to me, so fuck it, why not.

And then Magnus decides to throw a fit, angry about the dwarven tomb's desecration.
ch4pic34.jpg

We try to reason with him but he doesn't listen, and then tries to manipulate us into killing the Schuylers by playing the guilt card.
ch4pic35.jpg

Well, fuck you, Magnus! We all gang up on and beat him to a pulp.
ch4pic36.jpg

After the battle, Schuyler uses his magic to summon his father's spirit who'll tell us who he sold the ring to.
ch4pic38.jpg

And now we finally solved one of our mysteries about the blimp assault. We'll attempt to arrange a meeting with this Bates in the near future.

On the way out, we loot the silly little dwarf and steal his fine set of dwarven gauntlets.
ch4pic39.jpg

Lastly, we do as Joachim requested and check in at the Telegram office to get the message he left for us.
ch4pic40.jpg

ch4pic41.jpg

He gives us another contact in the village of Stillwater, way out in the middle of bumfuck nowhere. It'll be a while before we have to go there though. Next update we'll be trying to get a meeting with Gilbert Bates, after we find out who he is.

Twinkle

Liturgist
Elzair said:
You should not have given the camera to Ristezze. You can give the camera to the inventor of the airplane in Caladon, because a photograph will prove that his flying machine really works. You might want to back up a bit.

Eh, he can always kill Ristezze if needed.

Erebus

Arcane
You killed one of the few companions with an actual personality in Arcanum just to avoid a small fight ?

I guess you don't like Magnus, but I actually found him interesting (and rather comical) once it became clear he was in fact a city-born dwarf who desperately wanted to be a "real" dwarf and that his stereotypical behavior was just the result of his readings.

Fat Dragon

Arbiter
Erebus said:
I guess you don't like Magnus
Don't like him at all. He constantly bitches about every little thing you do if you're not acting like a little goody-two-shoes to everyone. Which is funny, seeing as how he wants to murder the Schuylers. He's a pest.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Magnus' voice acting killed the character for me. But then again, I didn't really like any of Arcanum's companions much. Except Dog, obviously, and I suppose Torian Kel.

yolesaber

Novice
Although Virgil was a bit pestering at times, I felt it was made up for in the end with his excellent side-quest. The classical references were a nice touch as well.

Derper

Prophet
I've kept Magnus on my playthroughs, only to get him home to his mines, or to have him make gloves/helmets. He adds some nice flavour to the many dwarf-related quests, and the other tech-npcs are boring or show up too late in the game.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"seeing as how he wants to murder the Schuylers."

More like bring them to justice for their crimes.

Good Ol' Drog

Educated
Fucking Magnus is the most annoying character in the whole game.

Even Geoffrey Tarrelond-Ashe who was supposed to be an annoying fella as well is much much more likable.

dx__

Educated
When is there gonna be an update? I was enjoying this.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom