Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Recent content by Werdna's Revenge

1. Werdna's Revenge

Dwarf Fortress now on Steam with a graphical overhaul

I too enjoy having an actual vim-like keyboard for the game. It's much nicer for playing on a laptop. I do worry that they'll run into the problem of trying to support two modes of a complex interface and just making a mess of both.
  2. Werdna's Revenge

Good less talked about RPGs

Hey someone on here has gotta counteract all the Codex monkeys that think Planescape is actually a good game.
  3. Werdna's Revenge

Anime Are there any Actually Good D&D books?

Death's Gate is better than any of the official D&D stuff from what I remember. If you want to do D&D reading though, I also highly recommend going through Appendix N stuff it's just so much better and even more D&D in how it feels than most of the official D&D books.
  4. Werdna's Revenge

Good less talked about RPGs

The real hidden gem no one talks about on the Codex is TESIV: Oblivion. You may never have heard of it, but it popularized so many modern CRPG conventions like quest compasses, XBox friendly inventories, & horse armour DLC. Where would we be without this masterpiece?
  5. Werdna's Revenge

Phantasie series

It would be nice to see this get on GOG, but I wonder what version we'd actually see? emulated Atari ST or DOS?
  6. Werdna's Revenge

How to fix Gnomes, Hafllings, Orcs, and Elves.

Halflings & Dwarves are great, but really what's the point of gnomes.
  7. Werdna's Revenge

Gold Box I played the NES port of Pool of Radiance for a bit; this game is terrible

PoR is probably the most tight of the Gold Box games, but you've got to enjoy approaching it as a tactical experience. Expecting an Infinity engine rest -> spaz -> rest style of game play will certainly leave you let down. Gold Box is much closer to actual Tabletop.
  8. Werdna's Revenge

So, any games where the "luck" attribute isn't completely useless?

I'd really like to see a PC game implement luck in a DCC sorta way. Too often it's just a sort of general modifier. Maybe a blobber style dungeon crawler where you can't save in the dungeon, but could burn luck points to avoid a TPK and get your ass back to town to heal. Combine that with some...
  9. Werdna's Revenge

Incline Interesting articles in Dragon magazine

The "How much did Tolkien influence D&D" thing is always so strange. Gygax certainly downplayed it despite all the obvious things he did crib from Tolkien, but I almost feel like it was more as an over reaction to all the people whose idea of fantasy starts and ends with Tolkien. Considering how...
  10. Werdna's Revenge

Incline Interesting articles in Dragon magazine

I've been chomping through Appendix N for the past few months. So much of early D&D makes so much sense when going through this reading list. Modern D&D feels so self referential compared to the stuff Gygax was cribbing from these authors.
  11. Werdna's Revenge

Wizardry A Zoomer's Musings on Wizardry: Proving Grounds

Wiz1 fucking nails it indeed. I don't really think of Wizardry as tedious. It's certainly tense, but it never really drags out.
  12. Werdna's Revenge

Steam Game Festival - free demos of upcoming RPGs from June 16th to 22nd

There's maybe a few gems in there, but looks like a lot of shovelware.
  13. Werdna's Revenge

Pokemon used to not be as gay

I played and enjoyed the first couple of Pokemon Gens back in the day so still have some fondness for the series. They are an actual good "intro to RPGs" series I think. Just enough party building, leveling, and meaningful optimizing to get people invested, but they're still pretty easy and...
  14. Werdna's Revenge

State of isometric hack n slash games

Like a lot of genres I think everyone got stuck on chasing the success of the peak title and not really looking at how to move beyond it. Basically everyone copies Diablo II, but no one seems to be interested in bringing in more traditional rouge-like elements or exploring stuff like mixing...
  15. Werdna's Revenge

New player who bought several RPGs - where to start?

I'd start with Fallout 1 and then go to Gothic 1, they are two of the most tightly designed RPGs ever made. Neither of them are really that long and they both have good sequels if you want more.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom