Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Recent content by V_K

1. V_K

[Poll] Best roguelike and why

Unexplored - the only one that can actually generate interesting levels.
  2. V_K

Vapourware Unknown Realm: The Siege Perilous - an 8-bit RPG for PC and Commodore 64

Preposterous. People like that shouldn't be allowed to have cats.
  3. V_K

Vapourware Cryamore (Kickstarter Game) - Funniest Update I've Seen

I don't have hard data on this, but I have the impression that the size of a typical AAA game development team size peaked about 10-15 years ago. Material or not, the end market is limited.
  4. V_K

The same largely applies to text generation, but things are improving. Out of business - probably not, at least not at first. But they can overtake certain tasks and streamline and speed up others, reducing the number of human-hours needed. This will considerably decrease the demand for coders...
  5. V_K

I almost did that - I was starting to look into neural networks back in 2003, before quitting IT completely. Sometimes I ponder how things could have turned out if I didn't. Not anymore.
  6. V_K

the most dark mature and intelligent RPGs

West of Loathing.
  7. V_K

Code-writing neural networks already exist. They're still not perfect, but code monkeys are definitely next on the way out.
  8. V_K

Vapourware Daggerfall Unity isnt Vaporware

Main quest dungeons and capital cities in Daggerfall are manually designed. Everything else is procedurally generated at runtime - but with a fixed seed. So yes, the general layout of all dungeons remains the same from game to game - but the position of the quest item and IIRC the type of...
  9. V_K

Dangerous magic. Good examples?

IIRC it wasn't tied to skill as much as to stamina. The more exhausted you are (and magic drains stamina more than anything else), the higher the chance of heart attack. Low skill just increases the stamina cost, so even weak spells are dangerous. But you could also die of a heart failure if...
  10. V_K

Incline What is an RPG score? How do we measure?

From the base to the tip.
  11. V_K

The Darkness Below: a retro CRPG in the making - now available on Early Access

YMMV, but personally I find black bars a far, far lesser evil than distorted aspect ratio.
  12. V_K

Epic Games Store - the console war comes to PC

Still should have been a zero higher.
  13. V_K

Myst Neyyah - Riven-like first-person adventure

It's funny you say that because to me the things in the trailer that scream Riven the most are exactly all those rusty pipes and railings and metal bridges across hills.
  14. V_K

Myst Neyyah - Riven-like first-person adventure

More Myst-likes is certainly incline, but why do they all also have to copy Myst's (or in this case, Riven's) visual style?
  15. V_K

Getting abilities in "menus" instead of interacting with the world is just boring.

Yeah, it was super fun in MM6 trying to remember which of indistinguishable houses in which of indistinguishable towns holds the skill trainer you need. Hard pass. The best of both worlds, IMO, is something like Wizards&Warriors: Skills you already have increase with use and can be trained...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom