Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Recent content by Selenti

1. Review The Dragon Knight Saga Does Fairly Well

If you find DKS easy, put the difficulty up to the maximum level, this will more than make up for better gear and easier tuning. DKS is better in every way, no reason to avoid it unless you hate upping the difficulty level for some reason but still want challenge. The only "hard" part in...
  2. Preview Divinity 2: Dragon Knight Saga Previews

What game were you playing? Wasn't that much clicking at all if you invested in a normal spread of combat abilities, one of the things I liked about Divinity 2 was that it sort of mimicked World of Warcraft's combat, plenty of abilities to throw around to keep things interesting if you didn't...
  3. The Fantasy Novelist's (read: cRPG designer) Exam

Depending on how widely you define "medieval europe", you're looking at excluding just about everything but weirdpunk/slipstream & sci-fi. I have a pretty allergic reaction to Tolkien-derived schlock, but I find authentic takes on how europe really was pretty fascinating.
  4. RPGs where good loot takes exploration/risk?

I was about to say "we all seem to agree on major points", but I think a lot of people here underestimate some of the issues. It's like there's this general trend of "this is that's wrong," then hand-waving and "fix it" instead of *how* to fix it, I already pointed out some obvious alternative...
  5. RPGs where good loot takes exploration/risk?

Nah, I dislike it when there seem to be endless numbers of super-powerful monsters/npcs when you reach epic levels. I think the encounters at that point should be few, but really crazy. Besides it seems that the monty haul tradition of epic levels is really just lazy (it's easier to just...
  6. RPGs where good loot takes exploration/risk?

Why would the game be over? The world does not suddenly end because the character is strong. If anything, that's really fucking annoying. I admit that "the player is high level, so now he faces endless hordes of demigods" is annoying, but it's not like the player is the only badass in the world...
  7. Interview Annie Mitsoda's (nee Carlson's) Zombie Baby

Yeah, pretty great interview. Selfishly I wish it were something other than a zombie survival RPG since that does absolutely nothing for me, but I love AoD's setting so I guess 1 for 2 ain't bad for personal taste.
  8. RPGs where good loot takes exploration/risk?

I'm not suggesting that these items are on a pack of bandits in Bumfuck, Nowhere. I'm talking about a point where the PC IS a rare badass, and hence goes to places with other rare badasses, and has it out with them. If the rare badasses that are enemies drop everything they "wear", then you have...
  9. RPGs where good loot takes exploration/risk?

I like this, the idea that there are "best in slot" items for specific tasks, but not for *everything*. Especially the way VD did it (or so I hear) in AoD, where every weapon type has something to offer. But damn if getting a combat system to that point doesn't sound like a lot of work.
  10. RPGs where good loot takes exploration/risk?

What I'm talking about is *really* good equipment, though, and that's where this kind of system breaks down. When you've got, say, a full party of well-geared enemies where they all have good, magical gear which is worth thousands of gold per slot, it's just ridiculous. I dunno, maybe the...
  11. Best romance subplot in an RPG

A whole lot of nothing.
  12. RPGs where good loot takes exploration/risk?

To me, that creates two possible results: a) the person is just so annoyed they only grab one or two things, never come back b) the person keeps coming back to get it all, and we're back at square one. The only solution I see there is to make the items just not worth much (which I think...
  13. RPGs where good loot takes exploration/risk?

My concern with that as an armchair designer is not that it gives the player that loot for *wearing*, but if they don't want it, it just adds a ton of easy money into the game, provided they can sell it and it's worth a lot (which both make sense).
  14. RPGs where good loot takes exploration/risk?

How far should you go, though? I mean, if you do as above literally, then a single badass NPC would drop a magical armor, magical amulet, magical rings, et cetera, every slot in a 5-enemy encounter where every enemy is well-geared would be a ridiculous amount of gear bloat. If you say no...
  15. Dragon Age: Hugely Disappointing?

Can't speak for him, but a few things occur to me: 2e D&D is just a much more fleshed out system. Sure, all of the "choices" in BG and BG2's game system are superficial, but they are nonetheless fairly entertaining. I am swimming against the current here, but I still firmly believe that...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom