Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Recent content by Mr. Magniloquent

1. NWN Baldur's Gate 2: Reloaded - remake in NWN2 engine from creators of Baldur's Gate: Reloaded

Gargaune I don’t know about that. BG1 was mostly grounded 12th century Europe. BG2 really turns up the fantasy elements and has greater color and detail. I was surprised by what I saw of Suldenessalar, but what about The Planar Sphere or Suaghin City for example? There is so much character...
  2. NWN Baldur's Gate 2: Reloaded - remake in NWN2 engine from creators of Baldur's Gate: Reloaded

I can't believe they stuck with it. Maybe they're banking on the word "playable". Still, this is an accomplishment of determination. BG1 was ambitious but plausible, so it wasn't entirely unexpected when they completed it. Shadows of Amn is a different matter. I'll be curious to see some videos.
  3. The List of Incline - 2024 Edition

Quite a few titles that I'm interested in. About double the number I care to follow in a typical year. Should be a lot of good combat and exploration. A return to form for the genre.
  4. Erenshor - a single player MMORPG

Will the pseudo-PCs wail in chat as you grief-PK them?
  5. KickStarter SKALD: Against the Black Priory - retro RPG inspired by Ultima

I'm glad he's using a multidice system, even if it's just 2d6. Hopefully he gives us mechanics that can add or subtract dice, rather than just 2d6+x. I like the party deployment phase, but I'm curious as to how exploring with a single character work with respect to skill challenges. I'm guessing...
  6. [Poll] Metahumans

It's demi-human. While I'm OK with the PC getting to be a snowflake, I prefer demihumans to be uncommon NPCs. It keeps them exotic and wonderous. Something made common ceases to be fantastic. It also enforces that they're also culturally different, which staves off the modern interpretation that...
  7. Capcom Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen

So Dragon's Dogma 2 is out. Some wikis are already updated. The casters seem like they lost all of their dark spells. Blearing, Miasma, Petrifaction, Grapnel, Lassitude, Necromancy, Dark Boon, Exequay, and Voidspell all appear to be gone. That's pretty lame. I get a lot of use our of Miasma. I...
  8. Capcom Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen

People claim that Dragon's Dogma is empty? What? Most everywhere, you can scarcely walk 60 seconds without killing something. If there is nothing there, its probably because you killed it. If they put any more monsters in this game you wouldn't walk anywhere or explore so much as you would be...
  9. Capcom Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen

Still having fun with the game though some of the novelty is wearing off. I have been using more dark magic. The poison cloud has been a regular on my setup. The problem I have with the status effect magic is that it doesn't work well on anything you want it to. By the time your magic stat and...
  10. Indie Lair Of The Leviathan - old school turn-based rpg based on classics such as Baldurs Gate 1 and 2, Phantasie, Ultima and the SSI Goldbox games.

I like the look of this, but I'm concerned by how the fighter retakes his original position after attacking the spearman. This suggests positioning is irrelevant or an illusion. I strongly dislike JRPG combat where teams line up and take turns swinging.
  11. Alpha Protocol enhanced rerelease on GOG

Very unpopular opinion, but I thought the minigames were actually decent. They were reasonable simulations/approximations for the task, and the PC's skills improved the player's odds in a rational and intuitive manner without becoming an auto-win.
  12. The Japs do everything better

The Japanese have found their voice with the ARPG. Far better than the FF tripe that previously defined the JRPG. They're making the natural successors to Diablo, and that's fine. Open world action games with good exploration, tight gameplay, and good art. The iteration of the Dark Souls and...
  13. Edge of War - isometric turn-based RPG inspired by Finnish folklore from Iron Danger devs - now on Early Access

Woa. I watched a lot of that hour gameplay demo. This looks pretty good. I will purchase in the hopes this comes to fruition.
  14. The Thaumaturge - supernatural RPG set in early 20th century Warsaw from Seven: The Days Long Gone devs

Thank you for the reviews. Nice atmosphere and art but uninspired pokemon combat with a mediocre narrative. It's about as expected. I will not buy this.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom