Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Recent content by m_s0

1. m_s0

Dragon's Dogma II - "They’re masterworks, all – you can’t go wrong"

Yeah, that's not going to work for games with studio-ending budgets that make the most of their sales right after release date, and even then aren't yet profitable or profitable enough. Since this industry is inherently broken in every way possible what would probably happen in your scenario is...
  2. m_s0

Dragon's Dogma II - "They’re masterworks, all – you can’t go wrong"

You just described Early Access on Steam.
  3. m_s0

Baldur's Gate Larian is moving away from D&D, no BG3 DLC or BG4

It's a smart business decision that is also a bit risky - and one that only a privately owned company that can (afford to) think in terms of playing the long game can make. If Larian was beholden to stockholders or whatnot a BG4 would've already been in the works with your usual glut of mediocre...
  4. m_s0

Codex Review RPG Codex Retrospective Review: Gorasul: The Legacy of the Dragon

Anyone managed to get the cinematics working under Wine? I fiddled with codecs a bunch and ultimately gave up.
  5. m_s0

Jagged Alliance 3 from Haemimont Games

It exceeded my expectations after the trailers, but it's not on par with JA2. The edges are very clearly filed off, for starters.
  6. m_s0

You get 1 IMP slot, and they give you the option to either take a test, or just skip it and pick the traits manually. Which is nice. With mod support I can't imagine it's going to be difficult to raise that cap, but the problem here is how impossibly bland those mercs seem to be - to the point...
  7. m_s0

It seems they're actually dropping more loot vs JA2, but it feels less significant here. I can't be arsed to pay attention to all the junk I'm collecting, and that's typically a bad sign. Initial gear is garbage, but it seems more effective than it used to be in JA2. Probably map scale at play...
  8. m_s0

I always thought it'd make sense for (post-JA1) AIM to be just a little bit concerned about merc equipment in the low-low tiers - just to maintain some sort of service standard. "Here's a vest and a gun that won't immediately blow up in your face and thus embarass AIM as an organization. We're...
  9. m_s0

Game News Jagged Alliance 3 Released

This checks out. The Steam Deck preset (the game does have one despite its official compatibility rating - probably because of text size, aka the usual culprit) drops reflections to medium and sets resolution scaling to 77% (which, curiously, is described as "Ultra Quality"). Looks like 2+...
  10. m_s0

The thing is, you can also exploit that quite a bit by triggering the pods to force everything to go to where you want it to be. I do wonder whether that mechanic was a band-aid to fix some other unexpected design flaw, or whether they explicitly designed the encounters with it in mind. I could...
  11. m_s0

Abandoning the portrait style from what it's been refined into for JA2 is a mistake. Just doesn't look right if you've spent decades with some of those characters, and I don't anticipate many converts this'd need to appeal to. Will take a lot of getting used to. It's like they're sitting on a...
  12. m_s0

Looks like they took the review down. Someone jumped the gun?
  13. m_s0

It's odd, because we have the one review out in the wild... sort of, so even if there was an embargo surely it'd mean nothing at this point? The 'someone broke it, so might as well run ours as well' type of deal? So, is this a global exclusive for that one outlet, and there still is an embargo...
  14. m_s0

I got you the first time around, but I disagree. Haemimont looks like it's being run well - with a catalogue this diverse and over 20 years in the business on a consistent work-for-hire basis (JA3 included) I think nothing they do now - within reason - will affect their other games. They're a...
  15. m_s0

Going by that logic we've been in Jagged Alliance bomb territory for well over 20 years at this point, and most have - including the last one. This one has money behind it, though, so at least the devs will probably survive this game if doesn't work out yet again. Also probably won't be a...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom