Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Recent content by ksaun

1. ksaun

George Ziets opening a new RPG studio - Digimancy Entertainment

Digimancy Entertainment's decision to be a completely remote development studio predates the known existence of covid-19. (And we deny the salacious rumors that Digimancy genetically engineered the virus to increase our ability to win a development deal. (I knew that organic chemistry class I...
  2. ksaun

Interview Matt Chat 446: Kevin Saunders on Mask of the Betrayer and Storm of Zehir

Yes. It was a prequel, taking place in the same world as Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs. It was to be an action RPG. It was story/character-driven and quite dark. I had the great pleasure of defining the world history and devising and writing the initial story concept. And then the honor of...
  3. ksaun

Interview Matt Chat 446: Kevin Saunders on Mask of the Betrayer and Storm of Zehir

I'd like to clarify a couple things about some things relevant to this segment: 1. When talking about the experienced and talented Mask of the Betrayer designers, I believe I forgot to credit Jeff Husges. And (though many here would already know this) Chris Avellone writing Gann and Kaelyn. 2...
  4. ksaun

Interview Matt Chat 445: Kevin Saunders on Torment: Tides of Numenera, Part Two

I must be out of touch as the term "normie" is unfamiliar to me. But, via context, I think I know what you mean. You may be correct. I honestly don't know. I will say that, back then at least, I was ignorant of the possibility you present here, at least in the context of our simplistic exit...
  5. ksaun

Interview Matt Chat 445: Kevin Saunders on Torment: Tides of Numenera, Part Two

I was the project director and any blame is ultimately mine. *** For any mistakes made by anyone involved anywhere in the process, it is the leader's responsibility to correct, mitigate, adjust, etc. to maximize the outcome. In my opinion, this is a critical part of the definition of a...
  6. ksaun

Interview Matt Chat 444: Kevin Saunders on Torment: Tides of Numenera

FWIW, I disagree with some nuances of Infinitron's characterization -- I hope through my actual words I sounded less like a hapless victim deflecting blame than the summary kind of makes it sound. Ultimately, the quality/success of TTON was my responsibility and the risks taken and the decisions...
  7. ksaun

Interview Matt Chat 444: Kevin Saunders on Torment: Tides of Numenera

It's good advice (the spoiler part). FWIW, I gained > 30 lbs. over a few months of chemotherapy. Though, to be honest, I was overweight beforehand and your point remains valid. (I had also gained ~30 lbs. from 2012 through 2015; I credit sleep deprivation and lack of attention to basic health.)...
  8. ksaun

Well, for a Digimancy game, I'd choose whichever most inspires George. :) He is versatile, but I still have to believe that the more the setting compels him, the better the masterpiece could be. (For example, George chose the Rashemen/Thay region for MotB and I'm sure that led to a better...
  9. ksaun

While there are many compelling and underrepresented settings, I think we (by "we" I mean RPG players) would be best served by George crafting his own original world. It's more work, and doesn't come with a fan-base and built-in recognition, so it's a financially riskier path. But I want to see...
  10. ksaun

I'm significantly involved with Digimancy Entertainment, but only in an unofficial and informal capacity; I’m not a founder. It would be true to say that I'm committed to my current project and have no intention of leaving my current team. But loyalty to my employer isn’t what precluded me from...
  11. ksaun

Um... I sound like that. Now I'm really sad. Bye.
  12. ksaun

My recollection is that George participated in the voice recording sessions, at least for major scenes/characters. (Part of what I mean by "participated" is that he would have had the final say on a take being acceptable.)
  13. ksaun

Kevin Saunders has joined Nexon to head a new RPG studio - SHUT DOWN

We experimented with several ideas, and ran with one. It would have been a lower cost ($10-20) premium title. Rich and fascinating world (that we used for all/most of our game ideas), conceived by Neal Hallford and expanded upon by Adam Heine. The game had some "RPG elements," but was more in...
  14. ksaun

Obsidian General Discussion Thread

I don't recall any details about that design decision. It's my responsibility because I was the lead designer. I do recall that, philosophically, I punted on the goal of trying to make Epic-level D&D believable. I felt it would be too crippling and constant of a design constraint to deal with...
  15. ksaun

Obsidian General Discussion Thread

I don't recall MotB's ending being significantly compromised to meet any deadlines. Anything players don't like about it can be blamed on our decisions, not a lack of time. =) (As has been revealed before, there was an area toward the end that we cut, but we did that very early (before...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom