Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Recent content by Kirben

1. GOG.com

What preservation? GOG currently puts in the absolute minimum effort to get older DOS game working on modern systems Original game files aren't even included half the time, due to replacements been used (i.e. ScummVM) Rarely provides alterative versions (Floppy vs CD, other platforms), even if...
  2. Gold Box SSI's Gold Box Series Thread

Did you miss the magic shops near Dagger Falls, and in Zhentil Keep? they have some useful items, expensive wands, and magical ranged weapons for monsters that are immune to regular weapons.
  3. Incline eXoDOS v6 — It's coming!

The main problem with ScummVM is the implementations are often incomplete, the earlier games (SCUMM games in particular) were based off reverse engineering, which didn't exactly match the originals, and lead to differences. This is slowly been resolved by rewrites, but I don't think they are...
  4. Games worth playing, Vol. IV -- 1991-1992

Why the Amiga version of Lure of the Temptress? I thought the DOS version offered the best music and sound, when using with Roland MT-32
  5. best "first" goldbox game?

The DOS versions were limited to PC Speaker and Tandy sound, and the introduction music was only offered in earlier versions (1.0/1.1) of Pool of Radiance. The Amiga port of Pool of Radiance has superior music (used by introduction and encamp) and much better sound effects for combat. The later...
  6. best "first" goldbox game?

Well the Amiga port of Pool of Radiance benefits from graphics with more colors at least, although maybe not full 32 colors. That screenshot was specific to the introduction of the Amiga version, so not really touched up at all.
  7. best "first" goldbox game?

The Amiga version of Pool of Radiance was actually a very well done and offered several advantages: 32 colors graphics (designs are quite different compared to DOS version) Better music (introduction and encamp) Better sound effects for combat Mouse support
  8. Gold Box SSI's Gold Box Series Thread

The trolls in Nesme are the best source of easy experience and gold at the start, although you will need to encamp to trigger the battles after awhile. There is no way to return to the captain in Yartar for a reward.
  9. Gold Box SSI's Gold Box Series Thread

Another odd difference between the ports, is the MS-DOS versions of Gateway to the Savage Frontier and Treasures of the Savage Frontier lack any musical cues in game. Although I wonder if the music cues in the Amiga ports, were just left overs from the previous games. Are Pools of Darkness and...
  10. Gold Box SSI's Gold Box Series Thread

The Clerics spells only go up to 6th level in TSF, but all spells are available for Mages. The Mage spells seem to work fine, except Monster Summoning had no effect when I tried.
  11. Gold Box SSI's Gold Box Series Thread

All 4th and 5th level spells work fine under Gateway to the Savage Frontier, the developers re-used the game engine of Curse of the Azure Bonds in that case.
  12. Gold Box SSI's Gold Box Series Thread

Encounters in specific rooms failed to work, and messages after combat were not been shown. The problem occurred in Purple Rocks and the Star Mounts areas, when I played through the game.
  13. Gold Box SSI's Gold Box Series Thread

I played through Gateway to the Savage Frontier again, and was annoyed that even the MS-DOS version suffers from a major bug. Events stopped been triggered at random, a few times during the game play. If you didn't know events were meant to occur, you might not even know that bug was occurring...
  14. Gold Box SSI's Gold Box Series Thread

The notes in the original documentation can be seen at the Computer Games Museum, you were lucky not to have any issues. I recall review in local magazine (Australian Commodore and Amiga Review) was very critical, based on those issues. I expect that was Gateway to the Savage Frontier, all...
  15. Gold Box SSI's Gold Box Series Thread

The game was unstable, the reference card stated to save every hour or the game could fail. The developer couldn't even manage a hard disk installer either, adding a ridiculous note that is was not possible.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom