Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Recent content by Jack Of Owls

1. Jack Of Owls

Emulation central - recommendations in 1st post

Been recently on an android emulation kick. I've had a Samsung Galaxy S20 phone for a couple of years now so I thought: why the fuck am I not taking advantage of its Snapdragon 865 chip and Adreno GPU and getting my android gaming on? It beats the tar out of my old Asus tablet. So I installed...
  2. Jack Of Owls

Hazeron Starship - A seamless space sandbox universe

Haven't played Hazeron Starship but sometimes awkward looking graphics (not necessarily meaning crude) can take me right out of the game, no matter how well done the design or gameplay. After playing something like Heretic or Hexen I remember finding some of the monsters in Witchaven looking...
  3. Jack Of Owls

Level/Map design in RPGs/Dungeon Crawlers

I hated teleporters and spinners in dungeon crawlers (ugly memories of Bard's Tale 3 on the c64), unless there was a good auto-mapping system. The Bard's Tale Remasters made them almost enjoyable because the mapping and UI was so clean.
  4. Jack Of Owls

What PC Controller Isn't Shit These Days?

I do use my DS5 as my primary controller these days but if and when my hands start to hurt I go back to my DS4; it's my healing pad ;) Right now I'm on a mission to get every shortcut key in Freespace Open configured with a controller so I can couch-out with it on my 65" OLED in my living room...
  5. Jack Of Owls

Yeah, I experienced something similar. I developed carpal-tunnel like symptoms a few years ago and the pain was aggravated when I played using my Xbone controller. Once I switched to my old DS4, it was like balm for the palm. But as mentioned earlier, I hate how the left and right bumpers on...
  6. Jack Of Owls

*chants Paul Atreides style* Input lag is the fun-killer! Of course they sell the dongle separately instead of just including it. I wish they had a Hall sensor version in the DS4 form factor. I don't agree with a previous poster that the Xbox-style ergonomics is the most comfortable. Vastly...
  7. Jack Of Owls

Codex Review RPG Codex Review: Neverwinter Nights – Tyrants of the Moonsea

Same here. I always come back to NWN with modules every few years or so. However, I was brought to my knees with Swordflight 3 a few months ago, either because of the insurmountable difficulty ramp or my unoptimized build (a simple paladin, when I should have at least used a Champion of Torn)...
  8. Jack Of Owls

If they had a wireless Gamesir G7 SE I'd probably buy it. Love hall sensors. But I really can't be arsed by more cords running over the floor anymore now that I game from my couch.
  9. Jack Of Owls

One thing I don't like about the DualSense is the much less obvious LED. On the DualShock, it's a large solid bar on top of the controller. On the DualSense it's a small rim around the touchpad. When I use DS4Windows I like to turn the LED brightness almost all the way down to save battery...
  10. Jack Of Owls

I can actually agree with this, and the DualSense even has features the DualShock doesn't (probably features that only a small handful of PC games support though), but the only question that remains for me is the durability of the dualsense; absolutely the most important thing for me in...
  11. Jack Of Owls

Freespace 2 (now with fan-made mod manager Knossos!)

Damn, had no idea there were so many user-made campaigns for the Freespace Open engine. But understandable. Played a little of the Freespace 1 Port in the FS2 engine recently, and a little of the TIE Fighter TC yesterday and while both seem to be first-rate space combat sim/shooters, the...
  12. Jack Of Owls

I still think the Sony DualShock 4 controller (wireless bluetooth version) is the single greatest controller I have ever owned. I still have my first one (black) purchased from Newegg about 15 years ago that still works fine (aside from maybe some slight drift in one of the sticks that only...
  13. Jack Of Owls

In appreciation of TIE Fighter.

I downloaded the most recent version of the total conversion. There's a small community of people who created gamepad profiles for it. One profile using JoyToKey for the Xbox One controller has mapped almost every function and shortcut key of the game using "Long Presses" to activate other...
  14. Jack Of Owls

Freespace 2 (now with fan-made mod manager Knossos!)

I played a few minutes of Freespace 2 from original CDs a year or two after it came out. Bought it from a mail-order close-out for like $1.00. Thought it was a sweet deal but man the squad-based combat in game was deep when I was expecting a more arcadey experience, so I quit early (didn't...
  15. Jack Of Owls

Escape Velocity Nova

I downloaded the "Community Edition R2". Hopefully it's not still copy-protected, and my spaceship doesn't turn into a flapping scarlet macaw in space in the heat of battle or something. I was always intrigued by this game because it was so slick and professionally done, in the vein of the...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom