Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Recent content by G Ziets

1. George Ziets opening a new RPG studio - Digimancy Entertainment

Our game was indeed canceled by the publisher, and we had to let about half our team go. (Ugh.) Digimancy is still alive, though, and we’re talking to other potential partners… and continuing to work on our internal game. (My co-owner and I created a rough prototype back in 2019-2020 before we...
  2. George Ziets opening a new RPG studio - Digimancy Entertainment

I'm not allowed to say much about the new project yet, and we're only a couple weeks into our first phase of work. (It's been a lot of fun to build a team from scratch and get back to making games with some old friends.) However, I *can* say that we're not making anything WotC- or D&D-related...
  3. George Ziets opening a new RPG studio - Digimancy Entertainment

During the original PoE Kickstarter campaign, I actually wrote a dev diary about the process of developing the gods, with a focus on Woedica: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/obsidian/project-eternity/posts/395376%20. One thing I didn't mention in that article was that the original visual...
  4. George Ziets opening a new RPG studio - Digimancy Entertainment

I still don’t know who decided upon that particular approach to PoE's story development. The person who provided the "winning" story wasn’t necessarily going to be narrative lead, though. I think the idea was to grab good ideas from many sources and then give the best one (or, as actually...
  5. George Ziets opening a new RPG studio - Digimancy Entertainment

1. We’re willing to work with a publisher if we have sufficient creative freedom and the terms of the deal are acceptable to our team. Publishers differ widely in quality. Some are extremely helpful with PR, marketing, and QA, while also providing financial resources that would never be...
  6. George Ziets opening a new RPG studio - Digimancy Entertainment

1. Nearly all of the common ones. “Ancient evil reawakens” is particularly overused in fantasy. Any “save the world” plotline. Companions who join the party and take up the player’s mission without a strong motivation to do so. Any story dilemma that the writer solves by creating a MacGuffin...
  7. George Ziets opening a new RPG studio - Digimancy Entertainment

We do. What usually happens is that an initial pronunciation guide is started early in the project. Some writers are pretty good about remembering to update it with character names, weird terms, etc., while others are not. Then, shortly before recording starts, we do another pass to update the...
  8. George Ziets opening a new RPG studio - Digimancy Entertainment

1. I’m in favor of unarmed combat options. The Silver Sword of Gith was a weird situation that was, to some extent, forced upon us by the NWN2 OC. I ended up finding a way to use the Silver Sword in Mask for the sake of continuity, but creating a sword that could be wielded by almost any...
  9. George Ziets opening a new RPG studio - Digimancy Entertainment

We have! In fact, something vaguely along the KoDP lines is on our list of concepts (in another setting of our own creation). I've been tinkering with the concept and the setting in the background for several years. It's not the concept we're currently developing, but it might appear in the future.
  10. George Ziets opening a new RPG studio - Digimancy Entertainment

Not yet, but we probably will.
  11. George Ziets opening a new RPG studio - Digimancy Entertainment

I'm not sure if Larian would be willing to license their engine, but they'd presumably expect us to pay them for it (because we're a commercial product), and since we're a startup with limited resources, I doubt we could afford the expense. That sort of thing is more common if a smaller company...
  12. George Ziets opening a new RPG studio - Digimancy Entertainment

Exactly. That's the source of the deep connection that Safiya feels for the player. (We may not have make it make clear enough to players though.)
  13. George Ziets opening a new RPG studio - Digimancy Entertainment

We're currently using Unity because our team has more experience in that engine than any other.
  14. George Ziets opening a new RPG studio - Digimancy Entertainment

It's rare for me to write 100% of the dialogue for a companion – usually I’m focused on main story dialogues (if I’m narrative lead) or am just pitching in to write important NPCs here and there (if I’m area design lead or overall design lead). I frequently design CNPCs on a high level – define...
  15. George Ziets opening a new RPG studio - Digimancy Entertainment

When designing companions, I try to use each one to represent a different perspective on the game’s central questions / themes. In that sense, I considered Safiya to be, if anything, the most important companion in the game. She represents one half of the relationship (Founder – Akachi) that’s...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom