Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Recent content by almondblight

1. Jeff Vogel Soapbox Thread

People should also check out Blades of Exile and its user made scenarios. It often gets overlooked. The thing about Vogel is, despite the remakes and some of the lesser series, has had an incredible output that's been unmatched. At least, the Exile 2, 3, Blades, Nethergate, Avernum 1, Genforge...
  2. Star Wars Was KOTOR even worth a play?

What ways did you find Bloodlines better than KOTOR? Combat and character building are bad in both games, but worse in Bloodlines. Both suffer from the cramped locations of modern RPG's, but Bloodlines is even more cramped than KOTOR. Bloodlines is basically on rails, where there are many...
  3. Star Wars Was KOTOR even worth a play?

I'd put KOTOR at around the same level as BG and VTM:B (haven't gotten to Gothic, Morrowind, or New Vegas yet, so can't comment on those). All three are flawed games that have some good elements. And all three have pretty bad real-time combat (VTM:B being the worst). KOTOR has some interesting...
  4. Shadowrun Shadowrun: Dragonfall - Director's Cut

The very first response is calling him out for his questionable approach to humans ("Your use of exclusionary language is telling. 'Even' humans are allowed?"). Whether or not you think there's enough C&C or the combat is good, I think it's pretty clear that the C&C is better than at least 80%...
  5. Resurrecting Troika

If you merged together the three flawed games Troika made you would get a good game.
  6. Level 60 chicken vs level 1 Dragon.

I'd prefer it if dragons always killed player characters in a straightforward fight. Open world games should have enemies that players can't beat. If players _have_ to beat an enemy like a dragon, it shouldn't be by banging them on the head with a sword while the dragon helpfully decides to not...
  7. Moonspeak Undertale - friendship/genocide RPG

Yeah, the conversations are between the cow woman on the left and the child in the middle: No, the game sets it up so that most people will end up killing her the first time they play. That's actually one of the many things I thought was stupid from the little I played of the game. It's not...
  8. Moonspeak Undertale - friendship/genocide RPG

Wasn't there a point early in the game where your main character (a kid) is also flirting with the anthropomorphic cow mother she has? And then you kill her? I tried a bit of the demo at one point because people here were gushing about the game (Felipepe: "It's something that no other media...
  9. Eternity Pillars of Eternity + The White March Expansion Thread

I always dislike Vancian casting in CRPGs because it becomes very meta-gamey. The whole resource management aspect is based on you trying to predict how many more encounters the designers placed in before you can refill your magic. Especially with encounter heavy games like PoE. In the end my...
  10. Harebrained Schemes General Discussion Thread

I always got the feeling that Dragonfall was a sleeper hit, which is why it became a standalone title, and why we got a second Shadowrun Kickstarter. I imagine if SRR or SR:HK had the quality of Dragonfall, the series could have had quite a bit more mileage (Gitelman even mentioned another...
  11. Turn-Based Tactics The Lamplighters League - turn-based tactics in pulp 1930s setting from Harebrained Schemes

They were working on a horror RPG. I can only assume it got cancelled.
  12. Harebrained Schemes General Discussion Thread

Hong Kong was a huge decline from Dragonfall in almost all areas. I'll repost what I said before: SR:HK is a pretty steep decline from DF: DC. Probably the biggest problem was the mission design - there just weren't any missions as good as Dragonfall’s, and there were barely any challenging...
  13. Harebrained Schemes General Discussion Thread

I've said it before, but I think a large part of Dragonfall's success is because it was a small B team that was supposed to take a few months to make a short Berlin expansion to Shadowrun Returns. It's telling that the best game the company has put out was also the one that probably had the...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom