Visit our sponsors! (or click here and disable ads)
Divinity: Original Sin Released on GOG
Game News - posted by Crooked Bee on Wed 9 July 2014, 20:02:06Tags: Divinity: Original Sin; Larian Studios
After some trials and tribulations, Larian's Divinity: Original Sin has been released on GOG.com today. As you know, originally GOG intended to release the game in August, after the launch of its GOG Galaxy client, in order to offer full multiplayer and automatic patching features comparable to those offered by Steam. However, there was some backslash on their forums because of that decision, and also Examiner's How GOG Screwed up the Divinity: Original Sin release article, all of which led GOG to release the game earlier.
The game does have regional pricing, in case you're wondering, but it also features GOG's "Fair Price Package" and includes the editor, too:
- We're offering a Fair Price Package with this title, so everyone who is adversely affected by the regional pricing plan will be compensated with bonus codes. You will find yours in your order confirmation email.
- Become part of a reactive, living and vast open world. Explore many different environments, fight all kinds of fantastical creatures and discover tons of desirable items.
- Experience gripping party- and turn-based combat. Manipulate the environment and use skill & spell combos to overcome your many foes: Use magic to make it rain on your enemies, then cast a lightning spell to fry them to a crisp.
- Experiment with different skill combinations to ruin the day for enemies and townspeople alike.
- Play with a friend in co-op multiplayer. Make decisions together (or disagree entirely), as your interactions and relationship with your partner influence the game.
- Unravel a deep and epic story, set in the early days of the Divinity universe. No prior experience with other Divinity games is necessary, however. The game takes place well before its predecessors, Divine Divinity and Divinity II: The Dragon Knight Saga, but will still feel familiar to fans.
- Classless character creation lets you design the character of your choice. Endless item interaction and combinations take exploration and experimentation to another level of freedom.
- Create your own adventures and share them online. With Original Sin comes the powerful toolset used by the game's designers. Yours are endless new stories to make and share with other players!
In other D:OS-related news, Gamasutra has a short interview with Swen Vincke, which includes, among other things, his strong opinion on digital vs physical content:
"Don’t do anything physical," says Vincke, when I ask him about recommendations for his fellow developers who are thinking about using Kickstarter. "I would never again do all the boxed stuff, and I regret that we spent so much time on everything related to making a physical release happen."
The studio wound up devoting a significant amount of resources and time to printing discs, shipping boxes, and getting Original Sin translated and age-rated in multiple territories prior to release. Vincke tells me he ignored good advice to focus on developing a digital game in English and only worry about things like localization after your game is released.
"At the time I answered him by saying ‘you know we’ve been doing this for quite some time, we’ve released so many RPGs, we can deal with this, blah blah blah.’ And it’s true, we have done this several times, and it’s always been miserable! Here too, it was miserable again," says Vincke.
"I will definitely try to listen to my own advice next time."