Visit our sponsors! (or click here and disable ads)
Keep on the Borderlands "Total Conversion" Mod for Temple of Elemental Evil Released
Mod News - posted by Crooked Bee on Tue 1 July 2014, 13:37:29Tags: Keep on the Borderlands; Temple of Elemental Evil
The guys behind the Circle of Eight mod for Troika's The Temple of Elemental Evil have released the 1.0 version of their "total conversion" ToEE mod Keep on the Borderlands, which has been in development for many years.
The Circle of Eight Team (www.Co8.org) is proud to announce that the Keep on the Borderlands mod is finished and available for download: get it right here at ModDB.
What is Keep on the Borderlands?
KotB is a new module - or total conversion, if you prefer - for the Atari game Temple of Elemental Evil. It was created by modders at the Circle of Eight fansite and freely distributed. It requires the original Temple of Elemental Evil game, patched to patch 2. It does not require any other mods from Co8, such as Co8 8.0: it is a separate module to ToEE and not a mod of it.
KotB is for starting level players. It attempts to push many elements of the ToEE engine to their limits, using the engine's capacity for animations, quests, skills, feats and dialogue, as well as combat, to produce an adventure game in the classic puzzle-solving mode. There is considerably more thought required to finish KotB than ToEE: though all the information is still given in the game, and it is not excessively difficult, just more thoughtful than the original game.
The aim of the game is simple. The player controls one or more characters who have arrived at the Keep on the Borderlands seeking fame, fortune and adventure. The player needs only talk to the NPCs of the Keep and surrounding locales, and role-play their character, to find a variety of adventures, culminating in a journey to the infamous Caves of Chaos, where the party can fight, work for, manipulate or despoil the various tribes of monsters.
Features of Keep on the Borderlands
Keep on the Borderlands expands on ToEE's excellent simulation of the D&D3.5 engine with the following additional features:
- New skills - Alchemy, Handle Animal, Climb, Use Rope, Knowledge (Nature), Speak Language, Disguise and Forgery (NPC only) - and additional uses for skills such as Appraise, Perform, Spellcraft and Sleight-of-Hand
- New class abilities such as Wild Empathy, Slow Fall, Illiteracy, new familiars, better control over animal companions, new spells, Domain skills, class-specific quests
- New racial abilities such as Stonecunning and racial languages
- Over 60 new maps to explore, with more interactive environments (such as desks, shelves and cupboards commonplace) and over 40 quests
- Heaps of new and classic equipment from the PHB such as Disguise and Climbing kits, new magic items, and many alchemical items.
- Deeper, more thoughtful quest progressions, usually with multiple ways of completing quests.
- Day / night routines for most NPCs.
- 'Black Market economy' with stolen items and fences.
- And of course the new spells, new equipment and bugfixes that Co8 brought to ToEE, including more than 60 new feats.
You can download the mod from ModDB. Like the description says, a patched copy of ToEE is required to play it.