Visit our sponsors! (or click here and disable ads)
Shadowrun Returns Kickstarter Update #67: Dragonfall announced, save-anywhere enabled, DRM removed
Game News - posted by Infinitron on Tue 19 November 2013, 12:55:02Tags: Harebrained Schemes; Shadowrun Returns; Shadowrun: Dragonfall
Although the Shadowrun Returns "Berlin DLC" was promised all the way back during the game's Kickstarter campaign, in this day and age, every new product needs an important-looking press release and a catchy brand name. As such, in their latest Kickstarter update, Harebrained Schemes have officially announced it as Shadowrun: Dragonfall. In addition to being a brand new campaign that takes place in - you guessed it - the Free City of Berlin, it seems the DLC will improve on many of the original campaign's shortcomings, most notably its restrictive checkpoint-based save system. Check out its Mass Effect-ish grimdark logo:
But a new threat is rising, one that could mean untold chaos and devastation. The only clue: whispers of the DRAGONFALL, a long-forgotten event from the earliest days of the Awakened world. As you find yourself drawn into a maze of veiled dangers and strange machinations, you will come face-to-face with a grim spectre of the past… and alter the course of Berlin’s future.
SHADOWRUN: DRAGONFALL FEATURES
- Experience a New Full-Length Campaign: Return to the “Tech meets Magic” future of Shadowrun as you and your team of runners get drawn into a treacherous conspiracy. Operating out of an offbeat central hub neighborhood, you’ll choose which missions to accept and how you’ll approach them while navigating the dark underbelly of “the Flux”.
- An Exciting New Locale: Shadowrun: Dragonfall transports runners to the Free City of Berlin, a thrilling Shadowrun setting full of gorgeous new hi-res environments, a diverse new cast of characters, and a new soundtrack by the composer of the original Sega Genesis Shadowrun game, Sam Powell.
- Command Your Team: Lead a small team of shadowrunners, each with their own outlook and backstory. Each member of your team is designed to play an interesting role during missions and has a unique set of skills, abilities, strengths, and weaknesses.
- New Weapons, Cyberware, Enemies & More: Try your hand at the long-range sniper rifle, devastating grenade launcher, or stun-inducing taser. Chrome yourself out in the latest cyberware and take on deadly new enemies - including new magical creatures like gargoyles and fire drakes. Dragonfall brings a host of new items, characters, portraits, and improvements to the Shadowrun Returns experience.
- Save Anywhere: You can save your progress at any time during the game. This functionality will also be added to the original Shadowrun Returns “Dead Man’s Switch” campaign.
- New Game Editor Features: A wide range of enhancements to the game editor for community content creators - including a scripting system to better control lighting, tracking mission objectives in the main game UI, placing exploding barrels, and allowing players to input keypad passwords and custom text strings in conversations. In addition, content creators will be able to use all of the new Berlin environment art, items and characters in their own stories along with assets from the original Shadowrun Returns campaign.
But that's not all! In a previous update, HBS also announced that they had reached an agreement with Microsoft to allow the game to be released DRM-free, finally burying the DRM drama from earlier this year. So it should show up on GOG sometime soon. Now, let's hope they make the game hard enough to justify that new save system. Who knows, Shadowrun Returns may yet have what it takes to be a contender in 2014, the Year of RPG Incline.