Visit our sponsors! (or click here and disable ads)
FTL to get free "Advanced Edition" update, with Chris Avellone writing!
Game News - posted by Infinitron on Mon 11 November 2013, 22:31:29Tags: Chris Avellone; Faster Than Light; Subset Games
It's been quite a while since we last posted about FTL: Faster Than Light, the spaceship simulation roguelike that was among the first successful indie game Kickstarters way back in February 2012. Today, the FTL team announced the upcoming release of "FTL: Advanced Edition", which will be a free update for those who own the original game. And guess who else is involved?
We’ve been working hard over the summer and are excited to finally officially announce a free expansion, FTL: Advanced Edition! FTL: AE is a huge content addition that includes new weapons, drones, augments, systems, enemies, and more. Here are some details on just a few of the additions visible in the trailer:
- Mind Control System: Temporarily turn enemies into allies. Force a boarder to repair the damage they just did, or have the enemy pilot sabotage their own helm.
- Hacking System: Lockdown and disrupt enemy systems. Unique effects for each system, ranging from forcing a teleporter remove boarders to making the medbay damage instead of heal.
- New Sector and Events: Our writer Tom Jubert has returned along with special guest writer Chris Avellone (of Planescape fame), who managed to find some time for us between his work on Project Eternity and Wasteland 2. They’ve been helping us add a new sector and scatter new events throughout the rest of the game.
- New Weapons and Effects: Many new weapons that take advantage of new mechanics: overcharging to increase the number of volleys, stun effects to freeze crew, and area effect targeting, to name a few.
- And more systems, drones, augments, enemy ships, enemy layouts, and hostile environments. All of which we’ll be sure to talk about more in the coming weeks!
For the purists out there, FTL vanilla will still be available. All of the new content can be disabled from within the hangar before starting a new game.
Awwwww hell yeah. FTL: Advanced Edition is planned for release in early 2014.