Visit our sponsors! (or click here and disable ads)
The Witcher - uncut dialogues unlocked
Mod News - posted by Ausir on Mon 10 December 2007, 15:29:10Tags: CD Projekt; Witcher, The
1eyedking announced in our forum that he managed to unlock the original, uncut version of the English-language dialogues in The Witcher (which were butchered by Atari in the released version). Here's a step-by-step instruction how to do it:
1. Open Windows's Registry Editor (Start->Run->type "regedit"). Navigate towards 'HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWARECD Projekt RedThe Witcher' . Double-click the 'Language' tab. Enter '1' in 'Value Data' without the commas. Close the Editor (it saves the changes automatically).
2. Go to your Witcher's Data folder inside the directory where you installed the game.
3. Rename 'lang_3.key' to 'lang_1.key'.
4. Rename 'dialog_3.tlk' to 'dialog_1.tlk'.
5. DO NOT rename anything else. The game will still look inside voices_3_00.bif to get the dialogue wave files, for example.
Update: It seems that while the uncut dialogues are restored this way, there is also a side effect - some parts of the journal are in Polish instead of English.
There has also been an official response by Michal Kicinski, one of the founders and joint CEO of CD Projekt, regarding restoring the cut dialogues:
We know, we know. We noted it when first comments appeared. Yet, it is huge task and in comparison to other stuff, priority is not that high. But, we WON'T forget about it. Some day you'll see (surprised;)