Visit our sponsors! (or click here and disable ads)
Mutant Year Zero: Road to Eden is a turn-based tactical adventure based on the Mutant tabletop RPG
Game News - posted by Infinitron on Thu 1 March 2018, 01:01:13Tags: Funcom; Mutant Year Zero: Road to Eden; The Bearded Ladies
Ever heard of the 1984 tabletop RPG Mutant, by Swedish publisher Target Games? No? Well neither had I until today. It's set in a Gamma World-like post-apocalyptic far future that features all manner of robots, mutated humans, and in particular, anthropomorphic animals. And in this strange new age of big budget turn-based RPG, it's getting a multiplatform video game adaptation this year, by a Swedish team who call themselves The Bearded Ladies. The game is called Mutant Year Zero: Road to Eden, and it's described by publisher Funcom as a turn-based "tactical adventure game". That sure sounds like "RPG" to me, but they appear to be avoiding that label, perhaps because the game features fixed characters with no character creation. The new cinematic reveal trailer introduces three of those characters:
Mutant Year Zero: Road to Eden is a tactical adventure game combining the turn-based combat of XCOM with story, exploration, stealth, and strategy. Take control of a team of Mutants navigating a post-human Earth. Created by a team including former HITMAN leads and the designer of PAYDAY.
- TACTICAL COMBAT: Mutant Year Zero: Road to Eden is the ultimate fix for your tactical strategy addiction. Dive into a deep, turn-based, tactical combat system inspired by the XCOM games.
- EXPLORE A POST-HUMAN EARTH: Journey through a post-human world of abandoned cities, crumbling highways, and overgrown countryside. Check back at the Ark, a neon-bathed oasis of ill repute and questionable characters, to restock your supplies and plan out your next adventure.
- CONTROL A TEAM OF MUTANTS: A duck with an attitude problem and a boar with anger issues; these aren’t your typical heroes. Get to know Dux, Bormin, Selma, and many other characters each with their own unique personality and deranged perspective on the world and their situation.
- MASTER THE STEALTHY APPROACH: Sneak through shadows to avoid conflict or to catch enemies unaware. Real-time stealth allows you full control of approach: sneak into an enemy camp, position the team of Mutants to your advantage, and gain the element of surprise.
- UNLOCK MUTATIONS: Unlock new mutations and abilities for your Mutants, such as Selma’s Stoneskin, Bormin’s Charge, and Dux‘ uncanny ability to sneak into a camp full of enemies unnoticed, despite being a 4-foot tall walking, talking duck with a crossbow.
- DYNAMIC ENVIRONMENTS: Use the environment to your advantage. Stay out of floodlights, hide from line of sight, or just blast down fully destructible walls and buildings and wreak utter havoc.
- LOOT, LOOT EVERYWHERE: From makeshift slingshots to high-powered rifles and top hats to police vests, make sure you equip your Mutants for the dangers ahead. Nothing says post-human quite like a mutated boar in spiked metal armor charging at you with a blunderbuss in his hands.