Visit our sponsors! (or click here and disable ads)
Torment Kickstarter Update #62: Final Beta Update
Game News - posted by Infinitron on Wed 21 December 2016, 22:23:25Tags: InXile Entertainment; Techland; Thomas Beekers; Torment: Tides of Numenera
Yesterday inXile released the long-awaited final update for the Torment: Tides of Numenera beta. There's no new content in this version, but it's got all of the visual and user interface changes mentioned in October's Kickstarter update, as well as some rebalancing. Initial impressions on the Codex are mixed. The new interface is largely an improvement, but it's got some obtrusive console-ish characteristics, including a follow-style camera (mostly optional) and an objectives hint display that appears during Crises (inexplicably non-optional). Today's Kickstarter update formally announces the new beta update. It's also got a link to Techland's trailer introducing the last of Torment's three classes, the Jack. I'll post it all:
Hot on the heels of our release date announcement (it's February 28th, 2017 in case you missed it!), we're pleased to announce our last big beta update for the Steam Early Access version of Torment on Windows before the final game is out. In celebration of this last stretch towards release, we're calling it the Tidal Surge Update!
We know many of you have been waiting for this update, and now we're very happy to be able to deliver a much-improved version of Torment for you to enjoy. Like previous builds, this one will allow you to play the game's first major chunk, taking you through Sagus Cliffs and some parts of the Castoff's Labyrinth – the remaining content will come with the final game, as we don't want to spoil everything, after all!
The Tidal Surge Update includes literally thousands of changes from the last version. There's simply far too many to show you as we'd probably start to approach the word count of the entire game just in version notes, but the highlight features are:
- Voice-acting has been added to key characters and conversations.
- Huge balance improvements across combat, loot and economy.
- Tweaks and adjustments to character stats, such as armor and resistances.
- Many interface art and functionality improvements, fixes and other refinements.
- Improvements to visual and sound effects, especially combat abilities.
- Reworked early-game crisis flow.
- Game settings such as key rebinding and text size are now available.
- Added tutorials and other helpers (optional).
- Hundreds of bug fixes and performance optimizations.
We still have a bit of time left on the game, so we encourage you to check out our forums and let us know of any bugs or issues you run into, as well as for your general feedback!
We encourage you to do that too, Codexers.