Visit our sponsors! (or click here and disable ads)
Vigilantes, a crime-themed turn-based tactical RPG, now on Kickstarter
Game News - posted by Infinitron on Wed 28 September 2016, 19:05:20Tags: Timeslip Softworks; Vigilantes
Vigilantes is an upcoming turn-based tactical RPG from Irish indie studio Timeslip Softworks inspired by Fallout and X-Com. The game's setting is modern day neo-noir. You play as Sam Contino, a vigilante who embarks on a crusade to take down the mobsters, survivalists and fanatics infesting Reiker City. The game has been in development since November 2014 and this year the developers published a succession of free alpha releases. Now they're ready to take things to the next level with a Kickstarter campaign. Here's the pitch video and overview:
Inspired by the classic turn based RPGs of the 90s, like X-Com and Fallout, yet striking out in its own unique direction, Vigilantes is a crime themed, turn based tactical RPG with an old school heart, for Windows, Mac, and Linux.
Players assume the role of Sam Contino, an idealist dragged down the rabbit hole of vigilantism as he works to bring down the three gangs that dominate Reiker City: the mafia, survivalists, and Church of the Final Exodus.
Vigilantes has all the features you would expect from a turn based RPG, yet we feel it stands out from its peers in a number of areas:
- Avoids typical RPG settings, striking out in its own direction with gritty, neo noir.
- Melee combat is choreographed and fluid to an extent rarely seen in turn based games.
- Avoids the trend of simplifying character systems and gameplay. It's very much old school, with the best of modern design advances.
- Emphasis on atmosphere: memorable allies, deadly opponents, a declining city, all brought to life through quality writing, artwork and voice acting.
- Use surveillance to locate gang facilities and leadership. Randomly attacking footsoldiers won't get you anywhere.